Should I purchase another a850/900 ??

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
videoguy
Acolyte

Should I purchase another a850/900 ??

Unread post by videoguy »

Problem; I believe that Sony will be getting out of the full frame DSLR business and will not support FF accessories, like FF lens', software updates, etc., and will only move toward the smaller cameras. David's latest post of Friday June 24 (latest a77 rumor) indicates to me that Sony is only gearing toward lighter APS-C format. Although I cannot believe that Sony can make an effective APS-C 24mp sensor that will not exhibit plenty of higher ISO noise.
I shoot professionally using my a850 (18 months/thousands of photos) and am very pleased with the FF quality (Zeiss 24-70; Sony G 70-200mm; HVL F58 flash). My secondary camera is an a700 (using Zeiss 16-80mm) which is good, but just does not compare to the FF 850. I recently shot a company picnic using my 700, just because I did not use it for a while, and was not pleased with the results simply because I am used to the FF quality I always see with the 850. Thus the reason to look at an 850/900 as a secondary camera and, my 850 needs to go to Sony for a refurbishment (some functions are acting up).
Thus, stick with Sony because I like FF and have all Sony gear or (good grief) jump ship and invest in a FF Canon ?
I welcome your views.
videoguy
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Should I purchase another a850/900 ??

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Sony will not dump FF business. On the contrary, think of FF SLT...
You may be right that Sony will not support FF but, most probably, in the NEX line. The alpha line will continue with FF.
BTW, a77 should be looked as a precursor of future FF SLT.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

If you have a lot invested in FF lenses, etc., it makes more sense to invest in another FF body than to jump ship. The difference in what you'll lose selling all the FF gear (especially if you wait until Sony dumps FF) versus what extra you'll lose selling off another FF body would be offset by the additional time you'd have using the extra body.

If you're shooting professionally, the cost is negligible anyway because it's a business expense.

If you jump ship, remember that Pentax and Nikon are using Sony sensors.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Not to mention, if you want a FF Canon with the a900's sync speed or burst speed, you've got to spend $6k on an EOS 1Ds MkIII, and that camera is not only one year older than the a900, but has a lower resolution and smaller ISO range.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I seem to remember that the lens road map has new FF lens in it? Would this suggest Sony will be sticking with FF bodies ?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I wouldn't worry that Sony is leaving the full-frame business. They've been in it for only three years or so now, and that's hardly one product cycle in the FF 35mm DSLR market; meanwhile, they've developed and launched eight new full-frame lenses (there's a ninth, but it's a Tamron design, the 28-75/2.8). Sony didn't do this just to have them adapted to an NEX body. Meanwhile, there have been only six new APS-C lens designs (again, not counting Tamron clones). The total number of current full-frame Alpha lenses is still greater than the combined number of APS-C format A and E mount lenses, whether in production, announced, or discontinued.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

I can only speak for myself of course, but I decided a month ago to get me another A900. I do not use it, it is tucked away in its box. If the worst happens at least I will be set for many many years as I have no need for anything better. If Sony does come up with a brilliant successor I would still be able to sell that A900 for a good price. I made that decision also in view of the fact that the A900 is in any case probably the last with an OVF (and what an OVF!).
Winston
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Winston »

If hinking about long-term storage and use, also think about batteries (life, availability, etc.)
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Winston wrote:If hinking about long-term storage and use, also think about batteries (life, availability, etc.)
It may also be prudent to take it out of the box several times a year and shoot a couple of dozen images, just to keep the lubricant distributed into all the right places and help keep any lubricant seals that might be present from drying out. I do not know if the A900 uses any seals of this type, and I actually suspect it does not, but it would be a cheap insurance policy, just in case.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

videoguy wrote: Thus, stick with Sony because I like FF and have all Sony gear or (good grief) jump ship and invest in a FF Canon ?
I welcome your views.
videoguy
I'm in the same dilemma, but going Canon is not my solution.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dr. Harout wrote:Sony will not dump FF business. On the contrary, think of FF SLT...
Doc,

I understand you are like born again SLT, and I do respect that. But haow about people that don't have any enthusiasm about any (even the most wonderful) EVF?
I hope an OVF A900/A850 successor will appear in time (and probably a SLT version also)

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
videoguy
Acolyte

MANY THANKS to ALL of you real pro's who replied to my supposed dilemma. "Supposed" because your answers made so much sense and agreed with my own thoughts on the matter that, as soon as I receive my trade in from Adorama Camera (USA/NYC) for my a700 and APS-C gear I'll apply that to a new a900. Their verbal appraisal was very satisfactory and I'm looking forward to checking the new FF alpha lenses to add to my "stuff".
Also, I just made an 11x14" aerial view print of a hospital in South Carolina which I shot two weeks ago (I was flying in the Medivac helicoptor on a very hazy day 1200 ft. high) and I could hardly believe the clarity and detail of the shot, even after it was cropped. Shot with my a850; Zeiss 24-70mm lens.
I shoot hundreds of photos each month on that camera all usually within 20 feet and they are all very clear so it was very satisfying to see a shot 1200 ft away.
Thus, my poor overworked a850 will have a rest and rehab when I employ the a900 full time.
Thanks all http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/pos ... 1d47848aba#
videoguy (my past life career was in TV)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

videoguy wrote:MANY THANKS to ALL of you real pro's who replied to my supposed dilemma. "Supposed" because your answers made so much sense and agreed with my own thoughts on the matter that, as soon as I receive my trade in from Adorama Camera (USA/NYC) for my a700 and APS-C gear I'll apply that to a new a900. Their verbal appraisal was very satisfactory and I'm looking forward to checking the new FF alpha lenses to add to my "stuff".
Just curious, how much Adorama offers you for the A700?
Pako
------------
videoguy
Acolyte

I'll let you know as soon as I receive the appraisal.

videoguy