My 77is locked up

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

My 77is locked up

Unread post by Mark K »

Strange. It cannot show f stop and remains in timer mode. I tried various resetting but it does not work. Can anyone help me
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: My 77is locked up

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, lots of A77 bodies have QC problems and they are being reported on other forums. See this:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =32&t=5766
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

2x post.
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Looks like the Firmware update is coming tomorrow (30 Sept 2011)....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-new ... -tomorrow/

Also an explanation as to what happened...
The new firmware will hopefully fix all issues we talked about in these days. As you know the problems was that the 1.02 firmware wasn’t updated for the new BIONZ processor which is used for the production camera. The pre production camera had a slightly different processor.
This would explain why none of the pre-testers experienced these issues...
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

And you wonder how a company such as Sony could "forget" to update the software in the production model. Just as well they are not into aeroplane or car manufacture.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

They have more info about it on the rumor site:

"I have learned that the production Alpha a77 has a revised set of new Bionz processors but the Firmware updates were for the older processors. Someone messed up and may have forgotten to have the firmware people test with the new processor. There will be a major update to the firmware as soon as full testing is completed. This is going to delay US and Canada Distribution. The current Firmware was never test on the newer processors that is in the production cameras. So there will be major corrections are needed in the firmware before its released again."

Sounds like a very, very serious QC (quality control) failure. I was a software engineer for a couple of decades and occasionally you would see an inept group which would screw up and do this sort of thing. Make some change, assume it was okay so no need to actually do full testing, release it, and then get their heads handed to them by customers. Usually lots of arrogance. They were low on quality and often low on morale. Also, sometimes a hack-and-pray style of software development. Ugh.
Last edited by bakubo on Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

I won't disagree this was a misstep, but at least it's software related and not hardware related.

Chalk it up to human error. If it can happen to NASA, it can happen to anyone...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Lonnie Utah wrote:I won't disagree this was a misstep, but at least it's software related and not hardware related.
Yes, I sure hope that a firmware update fixes everything. NEX 5N owners apparently have a hardware problem since they must send their camera back to Sony to be fixed though.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I wonder how many other camera manufacturers have released 3 DSLRs & 3 CSCs since the tsunami? Maybe, Sony should have been checking things properly, and not trying to steal a march on Nikon & Canon, who, by all accounts, were more severely affected by the disaster.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I wonder how many other camera manufacturers have released 3 DSLRs & 3 CSCs since the tsunami? Maybe, Sony should have been checking things properly, and not trying to steal a march on Nikon & Canon, who, by all accounts, were more severely affected by the disaster.
It's a very fine line and opportunities to put pressure on two major competitors don't come along often. Perhaps a step too far in this case?
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

redsim74 wrote:
Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I wonder how many other camera manufacturers have released 3 DSLRs & 3 CSCs since the tsungami? Maybe, Sony should have been checking things properly, and not trying to steal a march on Nikon & Canon, who, by all accounts, were more severely affected by the disaster.
It's a very fine line and opportunities to put pressure on two major competitors don't come along often. Perhaps a step too far in this case?
I'm all for the Canikon duopoly getting their dominance dented, but it has most certainly backfired on Sony, if all the recent reports are true, and is bound to drive buyers TO their rivals, rather than lure them away.

This has made me all the more certain that my next camera after my a580 will most certainly be a Nikon.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I am looking for a solution to my camera's lockup but still Sony has not said a single word.
Bruce Oudekerk
Initiate

Unread post by Bruce Oudekerk »

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It looks like that camera ‘ctrl-alt-del’ does a reset and revives a dead A77…which is handy. The update features for v1.03 I saw over at dpr didn't have anything listed that would fix dead cameras or prevent them from locking up, and I haven't seen an official notice at the Sony Australian site yet acknowledging that the problem even exists, as yet.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

If there is an undocumented way to do a complete reset so that the A77 can still be used then that is really good news for people who have it now. Did Sony announce this temporary workaround? I hope new firmware will fix everything up. I have not heard anything from Sony USA. If Sony really does know that this is a firmware problem then they need to announce it officially. Leaking stuff to rumor sites or whatever they are or are not doing is very bad form.