My 77is locked up

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
OneGuyKs

Re: My 77is locked up

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The lockup solution using the AE lock button does not work, this is an error. The following lockup fix works:

I was hoping my A77 would have the problem so I could check the possible solutions.
David
You should get it locked again, then take it to Sony store so that they can update the firmware
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Sony Stores here don't do things like that. I did take it into a Sony store last weekend, they had never seen one before...

David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony Stores here don't do things like that. I did take it into a Sony store last weekend, they had never seen one before...
I have never heard of a Sony Store doing camera repairs in the U.S. and Canada either. Pretty much everytime I have been in one the people there knew almost nothing about Alpha cameras and many of the stores didn't even have much of anything on display. It has been awhile since I have been in one though so maybe they have a lot more now and have service centers in the store now. Has anyone been into a U.S. or Canada Sony Store in the last few weeks?
Last edited by bakubo on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

bakubo wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:Sony Stores here don't do things like that. I did take it into a Sony store last weekend, they had never seen one before...
I have never heard of a Sony Store doing camera repairs in the U.S. and Canada either. Pretty much everytime I have been in one the people there knew almost nothing about Alpha cameras and many of the stores didn't even have much of anything on display. It has been awhile since I have been in one though so maybe they have a lot more now and have service centers in the store now. Has anyone been into a U.S. or Canada Sony Store in the last few weeks.
The SonyStore near me has historically had a pretty good selection of Alpha cameras and accessories (although very few sales people who are actually familiar with the equipment), but they have not done such work in the past.

At the moment they have temporarily moved into a much smaller space while a massive remodel is being done to their previous venue, and even if there has been some kind of policy change about in-store service, I doubt that it will be taking place until they move back into their larger space.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I'm terribly sorry, but I cannot really understand how can a product paid in real money be that far non-functional.

After all, people are paying real money, not some counterfeit stuff, to the manu'. They then get some half-baked non-functional joke. That's not funny. I think in that case it's not only the 'product' that has to be turned (by magic or whatever) into something functional, but there must be some material penalty the manu' has to bear for lying about their 'product' specs.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

An A65 owner reports lockup problem too:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=39539956
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I was aware that the first lockup was reported by an A65 user in China and he unlocked it using a series of hard-reset buttons.
BTW, the upgraded A77 works well. It is a good wildlife machine and the next thing I want are good prime telephoto lenses, considering I was the only guy holding a silvery 70-400 lens sitting among people with 600 or 800 primes with dedicated lens-coats. I was politely asked to leave the scene because my shining lens would have stopped migrating birds for landing...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Shiny lens stopping birds from landing? Complete bollox. They couldn't care in the slightest about lenses, only about the presence of people, and then probably not much. The camouflage covers and stuff are just boys' toys unless you are so close to the bird you don't need a 500mm lens. And then you would not be in a crowd or at a place where the flock lands, and has landed for years, and will land despite any number of shiny lenses.

Just jealous, silly, bullying people.

David
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Mark K wrote:I was politely asked to leave the scene because my shining lens would have stopped migrating birds for landing...
That's the saddest thing I've heard all day... they did you a favour moving you on.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yeah maybe we could start a campaign too outfit all those Egrets with sunnies so they won’t be distressed when they notice someone using a grey lens instead of a white one, you can’t be too careful when you’re dealing with wildlife. :roll:
Greg
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I tried again this morning and...they did fly away. I actually put on those hiking suits and shoes, though still far different from my fellow photographers who were dressed up as if they were playing a war game.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

There's probably a certain amount of superstition involved, too. Not like walking under ladders or stepping on cracks, but the kind that evolves when opportunities come and go without you having any control in it, and you start noticing the coincidences you look for. It happens at work whenever somebody remarks that the unit is quiet and nobody's in the ER...
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Funny thing I’ve notice over the years though, a lot of the time the wildlife gets more spooked when you go all secret mode with camo stuff and start creeping around in the undergrowth than if you were more non caring about it all…not always of course, but take Egrets, here you can go past them in a boat while they are on the bank and they don’t seem to take much notice, but try sneaking up to them quietly using available cover trees etc. and they are very likely to take off long before you can get close enough.
I remember on the last fishing trip we were trolling some lures close to the bank with lots of mangroves really close to the edge when there was this little tidal alcove with a Night Heron standing there almost within reaching distance with an oar, all I could do was watch as we moved on past it while it walked slowly looking for bugs (or something) in the mud, only paying as a glance or two, the camera being safely tucked away in the forward locker inside the camera bag which in turn was inside two plastic garbage bags….
Greg