10,300 words on the Alpha 77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

10,300 words on the Alpha 77

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

And still no way a complete report. Hope you find it useful:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2011/10/1 ... row-today/

Please share the link on other interested sites!

David
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: 10,300 words on the Alpha 77

Unread post by redsim74 »

Thanks David!

I managed to have a 10-15 minute test drive of an A77 over the weekend, taking my CZ16-80 and a Class 6 SD card. It was pretty clear that it's a great deal of camera in terms of functionality and would need more than just a quarter hour of play.

I took away some decidedly average RAW+JPG shots (given my location and lack of familiarity). What I did notice was some kind of purple fringing or "tinting", in high contrast areas when shooting at 80mm into the strongly lit street outside. I hadn't noticed this before with the 16-80 + A700.

Is this something you'd come across during testing?

Sim
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

David, this article is cracking me up! I love the little candid comments under the images.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I like the Auto ISO jibe but truth is it was a damn valid niggle on other Alpha models :lol:

Personally I'm still not convinced on the IQ side the 16mp CMOS looks a safer better all round bet. As for the EVF I've not tried one but details and shadows are very important. I'll continue to ignore EVF models as long as possible 8)

I'm sure if I were an Australian sports photographer I'd be a lot more keen on it. Truth is for my work I don't need 24mp, nor 12fps but I do need detail as my eyes can see.
dennismullen
Acolyte

Unread post by dennismullen »

The improved Auto ISO adjustments are good but I wish Sony would have added Auto ISO in Manual Mode.

Cheers,
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Very informative, as usual, David.

I take it from the article that, as much as Sony has produced a good product, they have, as usual, done a few boneheaded things that make it miss the mark of being truly a great camera.

Perhaps they'll make amends and fix such items in the A750. (Okay, I can wish, can't I?)

It just seems that Sony needs on their design team a few dedicated photographers with the pull to get some of these items thought out in advance and put into the final product.

Thanks for your hard work and honest evaluation!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
sergio_alpha

A77 review

Unread post by sergio_alpha »

Congratulations on the review of the A77.

What do you think of the noise at low light of A77?

The couple 24MP and 12-bit / cnl does not allow you to open the shadows and facilitate the work of PP

What is your opinion?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Excellent practical, real world review DK. Very enjoyable read. It certainly seems like there is a lot of a camera to get your head around.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hey guys, did you notice the advertisement on the Canon site? At the bottom right? It says: Wanted David Kilpatrick Muted, reward 5,000 USD to the one who accomplishes it without getting caught.... Obviously they are not generous...

Now seriously, both are wonderful articles. I can read in between the lines even your future predictions. Very informative and very well written (as always).
And, btw, today PCA had the most visitors in its history.

David, did you actually make a word count? :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

double post.
Last edited by Lonnie Utah on Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

$5,000? I couldn't even by their silly 1dx for that. Their going to have to up their price! lol!!!

PS: do you have a link to that??
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Doc - it's 10,900 words plus now after adding some extra stuff!

Not the highest number, that was December 2010 when we had over 14,000 reads this time was about 10,000 in the day.

Now I am off to get some sleep up at 5 to do an airport run for wife and daughter, then to client meeting 100 miles away.

David
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not sure why there is an article about the 1DX this is a specific type of camera aimed at a specific market segment. And I'm not one of them neither are most here.
I can't say I care for cameras this big and bulky I've tried a few of them can't say I liked them much...but they have a place for those who want them. I can't see why there is any reference to it on the site bar the high FPS.

One this is for sure there are likely to be a lot more 1DX's in use for press and sports photographers than there will be Sony A77's that's just the reality of what the market uses. These FF beasts are tough as nails and you could roll a panzer tank over them and they'd probably still work.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Great job of work with the A77 review David, the camera certainly has plenty of features to keep one busy deciding what to use when.
Greg
I took a quick look at the Canon 1D forum (dpr) and there were a few complaining that 18MP weren't enough megapixels in the 1DX, amazing. I suppose Canon could release a high MP lower frame rate scenic version if they wanted too, wouldn't do to be left with an MP gap in this day and age...would it.
I like my battery grips detachable myself, then you can trim the camera down a bit in bulk when you don't need the extra duration, but I guess while there is a demand for 1D, D3 style integral large cameras they will make them.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Dr. Harout wrote:David, did you actually make a word count? :lol:
I assume that David wrote the review with a word processor. All of the current word processors with which I am familiar will do a word count with only one or two mouse clicks.

Since many professional writers are paid by the word, that is a capability that is definitely on the checklist of marketing features for word processing software.

With best wishes,
- Tom -