Sony A77-Really a Bridge camera? Worth Getting Now or Wait.

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: Sony A77-Really a Bridge camera? Worth Getting Now or Wa

Unread post by agorabasta »

The sensor is an analogue circuit that can be operated at different timings/voltages. Some combinations are better for lower noise, other are better for power consumption, etc.

The SLT cams are at disadvantage from light loss at the mirror, and also from in-body stabilisation that commands low sensor assy weight preventing any effective heatsink. So they are optimised for lower power consumption while noise performance is sacrificed. And the noise that's being added by such optimisation is the ugly electronic read noise that's completely foreign to the image nature, so we readily see it in the darker parts of the image.

But power optimisations are not limited to the SLTs. The NexC3 is much noisier than the 5N for much the same kind of 'optimisation'.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Thank you, Dr. Harout. :D

You're right it will take some time to get to know your newest camera. I hope you enjoy it very much for your own photography purposes.

The first shot in the other thread is a marvel. Apparently, it is great for daytime landscape photography. : )

Looking out for your low-light impressions.

-------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Agorabasta. :)

Your technical knowledge and reasoning of the 'optimization' process on the circuit makes it clearer for me now. One would think that an advanced and newer model should deliver higher quality for more difficult conditions of light but as you say a little comprimise for low-light has been made for this model.

Your explanations are eye-openers. Thank you.

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

This is the entrance to the cave where the oldest shoe was found. Link

A77 + Sony 16-50/2.8 SSM
1/90 f/4 ISO 400 @50mm
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very nice, Dr. Harout. :)

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Other cave entrance
a77v + SAL1650 @50mm
1/125 f/4.5 ISO 400
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

A77 could be a king for concert, depending how high iso do you want?
The shutter is quiete
AF is fast for stage performance
EVF is bright and covers 100%
The body is smaller and lighter, comparing to A900
jbtaylor wrote:Hello Yildiz. I used the a700 and upgraded to the a900 but kept the a700. My wife takes pictures and the need for two cameras was justified. If the last two years has taught me anything, it's that waiting for Sony to release a camera is a frustrating thing. I too have thought about upgrading the a700 as a present to my wife. However, she does concert photography and it appears that the a77 lacks the required performance in low light situations. The age old questions apply, what are you shooting and what will you be shooting. I will never be a professional. Probably won't benefit from 12fps in my everyday shooting activities. Don't much care for video. So what does one do?
I suggest you find a camera that meets your current needs as there is no bridge required to get to where you already are. For me that means NEX 5 or 7, or maybe a 500 series Alpha (even if it is used). I know I am rambling but we have been thinking about the same things. Makes me feel better to get it off my chest.
One last thing; nothing beats thinking about what camera might be best in the future than shopping for and buying great glass. Buy yourself a Zeiss lens and put it on your old outdated (joke) camera. I bet it cures you of thinking about bridges and makes you want to photograph them.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Mark K wrote:A77 could be a king for concert, depending how high iso do you want?
The shutter is quiete
AF is fast for stage performance
EVF is bright and covers 100%
The body is smaller and lighter, comparing to A900
Thank you, Mark. : )

I appreciate your relieving impressions of the A77.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dr. Harout,

No doubt that the details are very intact on these rock surfaces with the natural colours nicely landing a smooth look. I'm glad there are no weird contrasts between dark parts and lighted surfaces...

Thank you for providing these images. An interesting spot to uncover the first know manufactured shoe as well. I remember the excitement the finding arose when it was first announce to the world. Humans have an earlier existence than our scientific equipments can detect, by the looks of it. Maybe there's more to be discovered around these rock formations..

Yildiz

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

The A77 does bash out a good daylight photo Doc. Actually I'm liking a lot about the A77 despite the fact I don't care for SLT's much with their video biased design, what I don’t like is the laggy behaviour noted by various users, I think its suffering from mega pixel processing overload myself, maybe Sony should have bit the bullet and went for a larger battery to give the camera more zip…it’s either the processing overhead or the camera isn’t completely sorted yet, even now.
Yildiz I’d be inclined too hang about for a bit and see if there isn’t a further firmware update in the pipeline, if you’re not in a hurry that is, I know I’m not, I still like the photos from my current cameras, even the 6MP KM5D still takes a nice photo too my eye for normal sized prints and posting on the web…now if Sony were to offer a genuine A700 B I might be tempted….
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:The A77 does bash out a good daylight photo Doc. Actually I'm liking a lot about the A77 despite the fact I don't care for SLT's much with their video biased design, what I don’t like is the laggy behaviour noted by various users, I think its suffering from mega pixel processing overload myself, maybe Sony should have bit the bullet and went for a larger battery to give the camera more zip…it’s either the processing overhead or the camera isn’t completely sorted yet, even now.
Yildiz I’d be inclined too hang about for a bit and see if there isn’t a further firmware update in the pipeline, if you’re not in a hurry that is, I know I’m not, I still like the photos from my current cameras, even the 6MP KM5D still takes a nice photo too my eye for normal sized prints and posting on the web…now if Sony were to offer a genuine A700 B I might be tempted….
Greg

Hi Greg, :)

No I'm in no hurry.
I'm waiting for the perfect storm! :D
The Sony storm that finally take the market by surprise!
I know there'll be at least one.
NEX is shining nicely too, though I'm in no hurry to get one of those either..but I'm curious about the NEX 7. Aren't we all? : )

Thank you for the sound advice. I also like the images produced by all of your cameras and don't consider them outdated in any way. Especially the Konica Minolta colours always look better to my eyes; a sort of natural intesity is abundant in all your photos by that camera.

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Yildiz, I took time out today to get you a nice bunch of flowers, the Poinciana tree on the verge outside is starting to come into bloom.
Greg

KM5D KM24-105
PICT1831.jpg
PICT1831.jpg (207.48 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Ah, here they are, the amazing natural saturation of all shades of reds by KM5D!

Thanks for sharing how wonderful the camera processes the red blossoms of the Poinciana tree, Greg. :D

Nicely distracting my rain-washed eyes from a grey day to summer's day. :) That's one plant we don't see very often here although the warmer climates do provide the same conditions.

Thanks for taking the time out of your work-busy days. :D We miss your photos!

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow Greg - fabulous flowers :shock: . You could post a shot of that tree every day and I would be a happy bunny :D . Despite the great autumnal colours here at the moment I miss the wild flowers of spring and summer so this is a nice reminder. I was in my favourite Snowdrop wood today but it is a few months before they'll be about.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Greg Beetham wrote:Thanks Yildiz, I took time out today to get you a nice bunch of flowers, the Poinciana tree on the verge outside is starting to come into bloom.
Greg
Lovely shot, Greg.

It's hard to beat those KM colours. My own 5D still gets an occasional run.

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely colours Redsim74 - seems the advice is to get a KM5D Yildiz :D .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

redsim74 wrote: Lovely shot, Greg.

It's hard to beat those KM colours. My own 5D still gets an occasional run.
I always thought the Minolta (rather than KM) colours derived from their (Minolta) lenses rather than the (KM) sensors.