EVF of a77, 3 dimensional?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

EVF of a77, 3 dimensional?

Unread post by Mark K »

The worst thing I hated about slt cameras were eVF...and now six weeks after, I could not believe I get so used to them and even forgot I was shooting a77 via EVF. More important thing is that I found the image of EVF is 3D
:roll:
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: EVF of a77, 3 dimensional?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

With just one eye? That's a neat trick, Sony!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Small camera movements create a stereo base through the brain processing routines that are only evoked if the image is close enough to real natural perception. So one eye is enough.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

I looked today and used EVF exclusively. The images are really three dimensional and there must be a reason explaining this..
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

3D is correct: Width, height ... and time!

Or you thought it was width, height and depth? ;-)

Sorry, could not resist, since I am living in a 4 dimention world, or more!

Also, you ARE right. The viewfinder really feels like 3D!
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

The depth. ....I really enjoy looking through EVF reviewing my images...
The only drawback is it consumes more battery power.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

It's worth pointing out that you can only have a 3d view by using both eyes thus no viewfinders (regardless of type) are genuinely "3D" unless both eyes can be used
It's like arguing you can hear stereo with only one speaker it's just not possible ;-)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'm not sure how they do it exactly but I've seen the effect before, I had a flight sim and the instrument panels on the flight deck were definitely 3D...looking, the knobs and screws that hold the gauges in and the buttons etc. all had that raised appearance like they were jutting out of the screen, it was amazing to see.
Greg
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

bfitzgerald wrote:It's worth pointing out that you can only have a 3d view by using both eyes thus no viewfinders (regardless of type) are genuinely "3D" unless both eyes can be used. It's like arguing you can hear stereo with only one speaker it's just not possible ;-)
That is not an accurate statement. The human brain processes a variety of information to provide the 3D effect to its reasoning center.

The stereo effect of looking at a scene simultaneously through two lenses separated by some distance is only one of those information streams - although it is probably the most effective by far.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

As one who had only 1 eye for 3 years, I can most definitely tell you that having to have 2 eyes to see either perspective or '3D' is bunk. However, 3D movies were always horrible, since they are really stereoscopic movies, and you DO need 2 eyes for that!

Two eyes ARE better, for sure, but I was surprised at how well I did with one, especially since it was my right, and dominant eye that went blind.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

If the human brain perceives something that does not make it cast iron!
I'm sure Dusty can comment on this but if you only have one eye it is much harder to judge distances than with 2 working ones.

The actual 3d effect comes from having both eyes and one tends to dominate but regardless the other one does have an input. If your brain is trying to give you an effect of 3d it's not necessarily actual 3d. The only perception you have is depth and most of that is based on the brains function.

Sometimes I suffer from Vertigo quite badly though not frequently. The room can completely spin around and fast as well, I can lose my balance too. But the room isn't spinning around it's static but the brain thinks it is due a malfunction in the inner ear sensors. I can fall down but that is not because I'm at an angle again it's the brain going on information and feedback that isn't working properly!

An electronic viewfinder is no more 3d than an optical viewfinder, nice try though I'll give you that one ;-)
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

bfitzgerald wrote:If the human brain perceives something that does not make it cast iron!
I'm sure Dusty can comment on this but if you only have one eye it is much harder to judge distances than with 2 working ones.

The actual 3d effect comes from having both eyes and one tends to dominate but regardless the other one does have an input. If your brain is trying to give you an effect of 3d it's not necessarily actual 3d. The only perception you have is depth and most of that is based on the brains function.

Sometimes I suffer from Vertigo quite badly though not frequently. The room can completely spin around and fast as well, I can lose my balance too. But the room isn't spinning around it's static but the brain thinks it is due a malfunction in the inner ear sensors. I can fall down but that is not because I'm at an angle again it's the brain going on information and feedback that isn't working properly!

An electronic viewfinder is no more 3d than an optical viewfinder, nice try though I'll give you that one ;-)
I can't comment on the EVF, as I haven't seen the one on the 77, and didn't spend too much time on the one with the 55. I can, however, tell you that even with one eye closed, I see things that appear 3D. If you're at more than a few feet, you aren't judging distances by the 3D, stereoscopic effect, but rather by size differential.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

Dusty wrote:As one who had only 1 eye for 3 years, I can most definitely tell you that having to have 2 eyes to see either perspective or '3D' is bunk. However, 3D movies were always horrible, since they are really stereoscopic movies, and you DO need 2 eyes for that!

Two eyes ARE better, for sure, but I was surprised at how well I did with one, especially since it was my right, and dominant eye that went blind.

Dusty
I have a form of diplopia that is called right-hypertropia which is a misalignment of the vertical axis of the eyes - which means if I look up in the sky and see a plane or the moon, I see two of them. Up close things are fine, except for reading, which can get tricky. i had reading glasses that introduced a prism to restore it to single print and for years just wore regular sunglasses. Recently I ordered a pair of sunlasses with the same prism prescription and it is a different world out there. I had not realized how much depth perception I had lost. Suddenly streets and traffic lights and mountains were in 3D again. It was like the first time ever looking into porro prism binoculars, there is an exagerrated sense of depth and that was almost what restoring my vision was like.

Ed