Getting used to a77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: Getting used to a77

Unread post by redsim74 »

lonewolf16x9 wrote:Some people are even enjoying shooting Birds in Flight with the A77...

http://www.dyxum.com/DFORUM/swallows-11 ... tml#982240
According to many on DPR, it is impossible to photograph a swallow in flight with an A77.

The big question for me of course is, African or European? :mrgreen:
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

redsim74 wrote:The big question for me of course is, African or European? :mrgreen:
LOL :lol:
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

A cracker. There are many Python fans around the world.
I responded to a similar jest on another forum to be shot down (no sense of humour!!!).

I find the EVF a little strange with a stroboscopic effect with fast wings and propellers but on the whole very happy with it.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
redsim74
Oligarch

mikeriach wrote:A cracker. There are many Python fans around the world.
I responded to a similar jest on another forum to be shot down (no sense of humour!!!).

I find the EVF a little strange with a stroboscopic effect with fast wings and propellers but on the whole very happy with it.

Mike
Both of my parents are English so fortunately I inherited the sense of humour.

I doubt I could track a Swallow with my A700 myself, unladen or not. :wink:
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

redsim74 wrote:
I doubt I could track a Swallow with my A700 myself, unladen or not. :wink:
I have enough problems tracking aircraft (with any camera) which should be a lot easier!
A few samples:

Mike
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice shots, Mike.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Here's what is interesting about the A77 and A55 - I don't review any images, I also don't use the rear LCD, it remains folded away facing the camera. Essentially, my viewfinder images is also my 'preview' of exposure and framing and it's easy enough to tell the moment of exposure when the display briefly blacks out. So I'm basically back to working as if using film cameras.

The NEX-7 which has not arrived yet has the disadvantage that the rear screen can not be reversed (both for protection and lack of distraction) and the same mechanism means it also can't be used in the same range of orientations the SLT screens allow. I would say the NEX-7 is not a final version of its genre, and one with an improved rear screen to allow truly film-camera like shooting will in due course appear.

David
Good points. I am one of the (apparently very few) lucky ones who got the NEX-7 at the end of last year and I have barely used the LCD and would love to reverse it as I used to do on my old Canon G3. I use classic MF lenses pretty well exclusively (apart from the 16/2.8 ) and the ability to use magnified MF Assist in the EVF (by toggling the AF/MF button) is a huge improvement on having to use the LCD, as on the NEX-5. Another brilliant feature of the EVF for me is the ability to focus stopped down without suffering from light loss at smaller apertures. This means that the problem of focus shift on some very fast lenses is eliminated because what you see is what you get. I have to say that for my ageing eyes this EVF is absolutely brilliant in most conditions although some shading is needed in lateral sunlight. It may be heresy for some but I can't say I miss the OVF particularly although I shall hang on to my a900 for use at extreme focal lengths.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Great aircraft shots Mike, especially that last one.
Greg
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Greg Beetham wrote:Great aircraft shots Mike, especially that last one.
Greg
The last was taken at RAF Lossiemouth which is a superb place to photograph aircraft.
They have 3 squadrons of Tornados based there of which this one belongs to 617 Squadron (The famous Dam Busters).
It has one of the best weather records of UK bases and has beautiful crisp light in the late autumn through spring.
My favourite location.

Mike
redsim74
Oligarch

mikeriach wrote: They have 3 squadrons of Tornados based there of which this one belongs to 617 Squadron (The famous Dam Busters).
The son of a guy I work with (family friend who I've known since I was a child) flies a Tornado for the 617.

A lot of Kiwi pilots now fly for the RAF, since the last Labour government virtually took our air force away. We can probably scrape together more Mustangs and Spitfires than strike jets. :roll:
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

redsim74 wrote:
mikeriach wrote: They have 3 squadrons of Tornados based there of which this one belongs to 617 Squadron (The famous Dam Busters).
The son of a guy I work with (family friend who I've known since I was a child) flies a Tornado for the 617.

A lot of Kiwi pilots now fly for the RAF, since the last Labour government virtually took our air force away. We can probably scrape together more Mustangs and Spitfires than strike jets. :roll:
We'll have the same situation here soon, except it's the Conservatives making the cuts. The Royal Navy is mostly pedalos these days.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....