Getting used to a77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Getting used to a77

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

There might be one but the only one I've heard of is on the K-x a debug mode that let's you do af adjustment. I recently sold the K-x and updated to a K-r with AF adjustments though it's a general one not lens specific.
I think at this price range mid level bodies such as the A65 should have some form of AF adjustment in the menus at least something.

I have found it useful whilst I've not generally had major problems in the past sometimes it's something that is there if needed.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Christmas Eve (ours is on Jan 6th)
16-50/2.8 - ISO 3200 - f/2.8 - 1/6s hand-held
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Hi Doc! Gregorian faith, Julian calendar... Names' play, but quite symbolic, non?

Merry Christmas from a (supposedly) Orthodox friend!
Dr. Harout

Thank You and best wishes Agorabasta.

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Dr. Harout wrote:Thank You and best wishes Agorabasta.
Accepted and sent back to you and all yours!
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Dr. Harout wrote:A dislike that I noticed today. While shooting with the Twin flash, the battery got exhausted so I had to switch off the camera... it just hang.
I tried the F42 at home, and after switching off the camera while the flash was still on, it hang again.
So my advice: always switch off the flash first!
And Sony do fix this bug.
Hi Doc
I just saw this today, thanks! I had the same issue once with the A77 and twin flash and I thought it was a glitch with my vertical grip not being attached properly. Clearly, it was this.
Mike
Dr. Harout

Mike-Photos wrote:
Dr. Harout wrote:A dislike that I noticed today. While shooting with the Twin flash, the battery got exhausted so I had to switch off the camera... it just hang.
I tried the F42 at home, and after switching off the camera while the flash was still on, it hang again.
So my advice: always switch off the flash first!
And Sony do fix this bug.
Hi Doc
I just saw this today, thanks! I had the same issue once with the A77 and twin flash and I thought it was a glitch with my vertical grip not being attached properly. Clearly, it was this.
This is fixed with the 1.04 firmware.

Flickr
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Interesting and informative take on the viewfinder, sort of how I felt about mine, and will feel when I eventually get another.
I appreciate however it's not to everyones taste...

http://jalpuna.com/archives/2012/01/a_r ... _the.shtml
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
bfitzgerald

I can see some valid points he makes, he also complains nobody mentions the "cons" of an optical viewfinder which is fair enough. But does not mentions the cons of an EVF (such as blown highlights/crushed shadows ie limited DR) lag and noise in low light etc (I'll accept you can see well in low light with the EVF as it gains up)

But this comment well it just made my jaw drop:
"With an optical viewfinder, photography is a game of shooting with the viewfinder and then checking with the LCD. Back and forth, viewfinder to LCD, viewfinder to LCD. Raise, lower. Raise, lower. Rinse, lather, repeat"

Makes you wonder how with those crude basic oldie film cameras how anyone ever got a half decent shot can't check the shot no LCD! I really think he's a very limited view of photography it's a learning game (And and EVF won't change that) I most def do not do raise lower, raise lower in the manner he describes.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Here's what is interesting about the A77 and A55 - I don't review any images, I also don't use the rear LCD, it remains folded away facing the camera. Essentially, my viewfinder images is also my 'preview' of exposure and framing and it's easy enough to tell the moment of exposure when the display briefly blacks out. So I'm basically back to working as if using film cameras.

The NEX-7 which has not arrived yet has the disadvantage that the rear screen can not be reversed (both for protection and lack of distraction) and the same mechanism means it also can't be used in the same range of orientations the SLT screens allow. I would say the NEX-7 is not a final version of its genre, and one with an improved rear screen to allow truly film-camera like shooting will in due course appear.

David
bfitzgerald

I noticed in the shop when playing with an A77 that the EVF and rear LCD are not always the same. For example if you see clipping in the EVF sometimes you can look at the back LCD and it looks fine or less clipped. Like wise when taking shots the EVF can obviously preview the WB, but in the article above he gives the impression that the final shot is as you see it in the VF, even from my brief play with one this is clearly not the case.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I saw someone complain about dud pixels speckling the EVF on an A65 I think it was, I didn't read the thread though.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Turning the rear screen in or turning the rear screen off is fairly brave David, in the old days of film one had an excuse if one didn’t nail the odd one with focus or exposure but these days one looks askance at a similar shot from instant review digitals, especially with an A77 as I’ve seen that camera isn’t all that perfect…every single shot.
Greg
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

David Kilpatrick wrote:Here's what is interesting about the A77 and A55 - I don't review any images, I also don't use the rear LCD, it remains folded away facing the camera. Essentially, my viewfinder images is also my 'preview' of exposure and framing and it's easy enough to tell the moment of exposure when the display briefly blacks out. So I'm basically back to working as if using film cameras.

The NEX-7 which has not arrived yet has , I guess the situation will improve further down the road with nrw releases thedisadvantage that the rear screen can not be reversed (both for protection and lack of distraction) and the same mechanism means it also can't be used in the same range of orientations the SLT screens allow. I would say the NEX-7 is not a final version of its genre, and one with an improved rear screen to allow truly film-camera like shooting will in due course appear.

David
I'm with David as regards the EVF and I'm brief time with the 77 shot it with the screen permanantly against the body as I found the EVF good enough but far from perfect for the purpose of judging captures, giving you a "worst case scenario" of exposure, there always being a little more in shadows and highlights. I guess this will be improved upon in future releases.
90% NTSC is not there by a long chalk but taking EVF forward quite a bit, I look forward to the day I can calibrate my Camera viewfinder to the same profile as my Eizo monitor at home making an almost perfect start to finish "closed loop" imaging system.
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Some people are even enjoying shooting Birds in Flight with the A77...

http://www.dyxum.com/DFORUM/swallows-11 ... tml#982240
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd