A77 and flash -- delay with Sony units

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

A77 and flash -- delay with Sony units

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

I have played around with my A77 and a lot of flashes today.

With two HVL-F58A the exposure is great for on board flash and wireless flash. Also, wireless works very well with indirect lightning. Then there is this small delay after the release button is pushed in normal flash mode (flash on the camera) and a longer delay when using wireless flash mode. I panned the camera to find out how much the delay affect my shooting, compared to an exposure without flash. During the panning I pressed the shutter at the same place. The flashes fire earlier than I thought, or what it feels like due to some viewfinder blackout, but the delay is still frustrating.

The good news is that there is absolutely no delay when using my radio triggered Elinchrom flashes (Ranger RX, Ranger Quadra and Style RX systems) which I use for more serious work. Actually, if there was some delay, I would be VERY surprised!

Still, sometimes I prefer using the Sony flashes, as when doing more reportage style work and when travelling light. For such work I find the Sony flash system really useful -- and it would be even more useful if there was no shutter lag.

What about you? Does this flash/shutter lag matter?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: A77 and flash -- delay with Sony units

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I'll give it again a try, but haven't noticed it with the F42.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aramkostanyan
Heirophant

Unread post by aramkostanyan »

I had A55, where the flash delay is very big. I did not measure the exact time. But it has a significant place in my style of shooting.
I did do some wedding photography, so when people shake their hands, try to kiss, or some bit of moment to capture, I usually was loosing the moment because of the flash delay. The solution is to predict the moment, but .....
In hand shaking shots, the shots were mostly when they did already shaken hands and the hand appeared apart, and many other examples. So I really was annoyed with that delay.
Hope, that A77 will not have it that much to be noticeable, otherwise I'll never buy one.
Sony A55 + Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 HSM, SAM 55-200
Aram
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

If you occasionally or more frequently do candid type flash shooting you can’t have any delays in the flash system, it’s an absolute must that it flashes on the instant, not some time afterwards.
I thought the delay in the SLT’s was because of the sensor having to be switched over to record mode from LV feed, also the preflashes might have been playing some part and then there is the shutter having to be closed (cocked) as well, also one could speculate about AF design/implementation issues in the SLT contributing to the delay.
But as Magnar is saying, if the studio flashes suffer no delay at all then there might be as yet some other unidentified reason why there is a delay when using OEM flashes. Maybe it is the preflashes that get in the way…as there would not be any preflashes with the studio flashes, but from my point of view I would consider the SLT’s not worth buying as I do like using the flash system for offhand candid photography, something that my existing cameras do very well.
Only Sony would know for sure what the exact reason is and as usual there is no information forthcoming from them, they will just leave everyone hanging and wondering why there is a delay with system OEM flashes on SLT’s and none with third party flashes.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Not the same topic, but today I needed to use the built in flash to brighten backlit foregrounds in two shot in very bright, contrasts sun. Just using A Mode. Perfect results - very well balanced in two different situations on the A77.

David
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

I have to agree on this, David. From my tests with Sony flash units (two HVL-F58A ), exposure is excellent!

When more user control is needed, I simply use flash exposure compensation for balancing the flash to the existing light level.

This wekend I am going to use my A77 a lot with different kinds of flash units. Now I know what to look for, so I will post a short report soon.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

David any chance you could chuck us a bone or two about the details of the shots?
Greg