A900 and the future - some questions...

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: A900 and the future - some questions...

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

As I always have said, I’m perfectly happy for those who want an EVF camera too have one, but where is my camera? I want a 7 series with an OVF and mirror up rear screen LV/MF option for tripod or even hand held macro and whatever else I could make it work for, that system for me (and I think a few others) would be more flexible and less expensive and less likely to have video related compromises, and on average use far less battery power.
My other request is for Sony to put the switches and buttons back where they belong, the A700 layout is fine except for the fiddly little knob for the focus mode selector, a detent lever would have been better.
But above all as Henry has pointed out, get your chit together Sony and make the dang thing properly, i.e. try to imagine you are a proper camera company that actually turns out a reliable error free, glitch free product, so we don’t have to make.believe that one day you might do just that. :roll:
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

As I said before, take the 700, stuff in the new 16MP or a new 18-20 MP sensor- something that doesn't have the mushiness of the 77's sensor - and update it with the rear screen from the new models, with all the wiz-bang firmware update (except video) and I'll buy it.

Most of the work's already done, I'm sure they still have the molds to make the 700 bodies, and you have a real winner on your hands, Sony.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

If I'm primarily a Landscape shooter, should I wait and see if Sony's next EVF for full frame cameras is "better" than the A77's? Because looking through the EVF of the A77 was hard on my eyes, plus I don't like another piece of electronics that can possibly render the camera useless if it malfunctions - an OVF could never do that - you can even compose shots with an OVF without having to turn the camera on, etc. So, I'm not quite yet sold on EVF - but, am curious to see how good Sony can make their next generation of EVF's.
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

I think waiting for an A99 with the expectation of a substantially improved EVF is probably a waste of time. If Sony knew how to do a lot better, they'd already include it in the A77. As I see it, that leaves them with three primary choices:

1. Introduce it on roughly the expected schedule, in which case it will almost certainly be an A77 with a larger sensor and minor tweaks.
2. Delay introduction for at least a year while the develop a substantially better EVF.
3. The A99 retains an OVF.

If I were a betting man, I'd put the odds at about 80% for #1 and 15% for #2, and around 5% for #3, and almost lost in the rounding, some possibility that they figure out something completely different than any of the above).
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

There are rumors (trustworthy) that Pentax-Ricoh are up to "create" a mirror-less 645.
OK, let's get back to a99...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Anyone remember the Alpa 6C? Little optical direct-vision viewfinder sitting next to the prism eyepiece - to help with routine 50mm lens sports shooting in a camera with a non-instant return mirror.

Now imagine an A99 with the same prism as the A900, but move your eye to the left and there's another window - an eye-level EVF which works with the mirror locked up, and a second pellicle mirror lifted into place from the bottom of the camera well (hinged at the bottom of the sensor as seen from the front) which, positioned exactly as the secondary AF mirror of the main mirror assembly, provides phase detect AF using the same module.

It's even possible that by using a clever lightpath switch inside the main viewfinder eyepiece, one eyepiece could show either the live view EVF or the optical finder - automatically changing when the mirror configuration is switched.

David
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

bfitzgerald wrote: In this respect I think EVF's are too early, not mature enough and it's mistake for Sony to pursue this path at the expense of optical viewfinders, they're going to put off a significant number of users straight away with their tunnel vision strategy. [ ... ] Sony won't stand a chance with a FF EVF SLT model not for pro users anyway. They should know this though very clearly so as well
If Sony put off a significant number of OVF users, they will get new EVF users from other camps. Also, today just a small number of professional photographers are using Sony DSLR cameras, so they don't risk much if they are pushing their strategy for professional cameras in new directions. What we see now, I think, is how Sony is merging stills and video, heading for tomorrow's photographers/videographers.

The best for us as photographers and consumers would be if Sony offered both OVF and EVF cameras, at least in the FF category. We have different needs, and more important, our expectations to technology are different. The fact that EVF cameras suit my needs, and that I am writing about my experiences flavoured by this, doesn't mean that it is like this for everybody else!
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

jcoffin wrote:I think waiting for an A99 with the expectation of a substantially improved EVF is probably a waste of time. If Sony knew how to do a lot better, they'd already include it in the A77.
Better technology also imply higher costs. I don't think a too expensive A77 would sell very well.

We don't know much about what future EVF cameras will look like, not even the A9x, or where this technology stands today, except that the A65/A77 EVF was a major leap from the A55/A33/A35. Actually, I don't know what to expect. Generally expectations is a waste of time, which leads to dissapointment.

My take is to make a choise among the cameras that are available now, and then work hard to learn my gear to use, no matter if there will be better solutions in the future or not.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

So David, a DSLR that can morph into an SLT, probably not a bad idea for the PDAF side of things but it'd probably be expensive or more expensive than a DSLR that can lock the mirror up and become an MF ILC.
Greg
dennismullen
Acolyte

Unread post by dennismullen »

Dusty wrote:As I said before, take the 700, stuff in the new 16MP or a new 18-20 MP sensor- something that doesn't have the mushiness of the 77's sensor - and update it with the rear screen from the new models, with all the wiz-bang firmware update (except video) and I'll buy it. Most of the work's already done, I'm sure they still have the molds to make the 700 bodies, and you have a real winner on your hands, Sony.
Sign me up for an A7xx and an A9xx version.

Cheers,
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Today I had to shoot some tests with the Canon 1DmkIV and their brand new 300mm IS f/2.8, and also the A77 with 70-400mm SSM G. Horse racing, good light.

Canon - 100% complete success rate, every frame in sequences, except one sequence where I didn't frame the subject on the first exposure and therefore did not track it.

Sony - 100% failure rate. Not a single useful frame. I have now calibrated the lens for micro adjustment, but I don't think that is the whole story. At 8fps I could barely manage to use the EVF at all for this subject except on static compositions.

I didn't have time to go back, recover my A900, and try that instead. But I know for sure that whatever interesting motordrive experiments and successes people may have with the EVF, no professional will ever try to rely on it for mainstream sports/action.

David
Oddly I read this as I'm thumbing thru the official A77 Brochure, page 10/11 being particularly revealing, showing a horse and rider galloping thru water, and a frame burst at 12 FPS, taken with the 70-400 and all of them as crisp as a new tenner! Maybe they really shot em with a Canon? :lol:
Frightens me however that my new 70-400 could be at fault when I currently have no Camera to test it on, I'll be knackerd for returning it by now I guess even if it was wonky! Bad situation to be in really... :(
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
jcoffin
Grand Caliph

Unread post by jcoffin »

lonewolf16x9 wrote: Frightens me however that my new 70-400 could be at fault when I currently have no Camera to test it on, I'll be knackerd for returning it by now I guess even if it was wonky! Bad situation to be in really... :(
Being a generous, selfless sort of person, I'll be the first to volunteer to put your 70-400 to the test. :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Very noble jcoffin, that should put Jules mind at ease. 8)
Someone said a while ago, I can't remember where I saw it, that Sony don’t use their own cameras for the photos in the brochures. I find that one difficult too believe, but if they don’t use their own whose do they use, or do they hire a pro advertising agency to do the brochures and whatever cameras they use are used.
I was going too suggest that maybe A77 owners who want to do equestrian events could hire/get a 1DMkIV and take all the shots with that, then print them out at a large size and stick em on a wall then re-photograph them with the A77….that should solve all the problems ha ha ha …..just kidding. :lol:
Greg
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Many moons ago, I used to shoot Nikon Professionally and I remember there being a big Hoo Har about some new Nikon DSLR Advertising/Brochure being all shot with a Canon. I think it wa for the D2x but don't quote me there. I do remeber how the Canon users seized upon it like crazy, I think that was the exception to the rule however, as if it does happen people just can't keep their tongues from wagging.
I think a lot of Brochure work may be Medium Format on the QT though...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Although I know several excellent news and event photographers using Sony, it's still possible to attend a Sony event and find the engaged photographer is using Canon - and they use Phase One/Hasselblad for their product shots (not really necessary for the use they make of them).

However it is changing and at recent events they have had hired Sony system users - or equippped the engaged shooter with Alpha.

David