A900 and the future - some questions...

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Re: A900 and the future - some questions...

Unread post by agorabasta »

If Canon made a Nex-sized body with the 1DMk4 image quality, I'd switch in a snap, the AF speed notwithstanding. I'd even take a smaller 1/1.6 crop sensor, no real need for their APS-H.
The problem is Canon never lets good image quality into cheap/small bodies... Even in the case of 7D/550D/600D/60D sharing the same sensor, it were only the 7D/60D that delivered really good colour, while 550/600 had less column banding.

So Canon simply doesn't make a single body versatile enough for my needs. They are either wrong size or poor image quality.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

It's funny, but in the early days of desktop publishing, Microsoft always had a few hidden Macs on which to create ads and brochures to taught their superiority over Apple!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Today I had to shoot some tests with the Canon 1DmkIV and their brand new 300mm IS f/2.8, and also the A77 with 70-400mm SSM G. Horse racing, good light.

Canon - 100% complete success rate, every frame in sequences, except one sequence where I didn't frame the subject on the first exposure and therefore did not track it.

Sony - 100% failure rate. Not a single useful frame. I have now calibrated the lens for micro adjustment, but I don't think that is the whole story. At 8fps I could barely manage to use the EVF at all for this subject except on static compositions.

I didn't have time to go back, recover my A900, and try that instead. But I know for sure that whatever interesting motordrive experiments and successes people may have with the EVF, no professional will ever try to rely on it for mainstream sports/action.

David
Attachments
A55 with Red Dot....jpg
A55 with Red Dot....jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That’s one solution Jules, at first sight it looks plausible but I think the height of the assembly above the lens axis might lead too parallax error…possibly.
The thought occurred to me that Sony could offer the simple but elegant framing device on this earlier prototype A77 as an optional accessory that mounts on the hot shoe, it has zero lag and is as bright as day and as you can see the height above the lens axis is minimal, and it also collapses down into a very compact package, and not only that it uses absolutely no battery power; actually when I come to think of it the entire camera doesn’t have a battery, it operates off body heat…very advanced but alas still experimental. :D
Greg
A700 KM18-200
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (56.66 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

:D
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
motor
Heirophant

Unread post by motor »

Welp I guess the future is here before we know it. SonyStyle USA says A900 is NOW OUT OF STOCK! Is this the end? Funny that their sales ended TODAY and now it lists out of stock :roll:

Motor