A900 and the future - some questions...

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

A900 and the future - some questions...

Unread post by deathvalleydave »

Dear photoclubalpha members,

I've now had the A900 for 3 years, and I have some questions about the future, and based on the image quality I get from the CZ 24-70 and the A900, how would you answer these fundamental questions I have:

1. If Sony no longer has a FF OVF camera, and I get eye strain looking through the A77's EVF, and prefer OVF's, how much longer (on average) will my A900 last, if I take about 2,000 to 3,000 pictures a year?

2. If Sony stops making the A900, how much longer will they service my A900 - that is, new shutter if needed, etc.

3. With the Nikon D800 possibly being 36mp and with OVF AND Sony not making a OVF comparable model, should I switch to Nikon if OVF is a key feature for me?

4. If I just love my A900 and CZ 24-70 system - should I just keep it until it breaks and Sony stops servicing it - approximately how many years would that give me - and at that point in time, should I just make all these decisions on all these questions I'm asking?

You see, Sony has put me in a spot - because with the A900, it gave me a great camera with the OVF and user interface - but now they are possibly going a different direction. The only caveat I have to all of this is that cameras like the A77 do have sweep panorama, handheld twilight, and handheld auto HDR - but only in jpegs, but assuming they can make a great camera with great jpegs - that could bring me back, as Sony does some pretty innovative things, but just don't seem to focus on basic quality of the basic fundatmental camera features, per se.

Thank you for any input - I know my CZ 24-70 should last a lifetime, but will its new Sony bodies to mount to in the future be as worthy as the A900 for me!!!
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Re: A900 and the future - some questions...

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

The only question that needs answered here is number 3. The answer to that one is YES.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

i disagree, if he's happy with his A900/CZ combo keep using it until it breaks or doesn't do something that he now requires. - bear in mind that the Nikon body is probably going to be £3k + (if not £4k+).

As for how long an A900 will last it's impossible to say as there is sample variation but iirc mean failure for the shutter is meant to be 100,000 actuation.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I believe your a900 will remain serviceable by Sony for at least seven years after it is discontinued.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

If I sold the following gear:

A900
CZ 2470
Sony 70300G
Sigma 1224

I'm guessing I could probably get around $2,000 ? Which is only half the amount of the Nikon D800. Therefore, if I wait until my gear breaks or Sony won't service it anymore, I guess I can just take my chances with whatever's available at that time - knowing full well that my current gear won't be worth as much...

But thanks for the input so far, because it shows both viewpoints, etc.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

deathvalleydave wrote:If I sold the following gear:

A900
CZ 2470
Sony 70300G
Sigma 1224

I'm guessing I could probably get around $2,000 ?
Darn, are you sure all of that would only bring in $2k? I haven't checked but I would think that you could get more like $3.5k or more for all of that. I am not saying you should sell or not sell since I don't really have an opinion about that, but I am just wondering how you came up with $2k?
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Unread post by Simmondsphotography »

I imagine that many of us are in a similar position and will need to make similar decisions. Fortunately, I do have the A77, which I bought as a back up for my three year old A900. Suffice to say that the A900 is now the back up to my A77.....a complete reversal!

When the A99 is introduced,(next year?) if indeed that will be the A900's replacement, then I too will have the same dilemna. I think that I shall wait until the dust settles after it's launch, try one out at Focus Exhibition or a local friendly dealer and only make my decision then. Based solely on my experiences with the A77, I will probably trade the A900 for the A99. None of my Alpha fit lenses will need to be changed with this decision and I get to keep the ergonomics and colours that I like so much with Sony top end cameras. It will still be the cheapest option as I won't need to sell my lovely ZA lenses and start again with another camera platform! :lol:
Cheers, Dave
A900, A700, A77 and far too many lenses!
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Deathvalleydave, I would suggest that you do like Simmondsphotography and wait for Sony's new FF offering (or offerings) before you do anything drastic costing a lot of money. I happend to pass a Jessops here in Scotland this morning and tried the A65 EVF. It was indoor with dull weather outside and the cam was tethered. I must say that I was quite impressed and liked the electronic level. I take a lot of landscape photography. I will purchase the NEX-7 and principally use the EVF. SAR (I think) posted a rumour some time ago indicating that the FF EVF will be better than the A65/77 version so waiting a bit before committing big sums on a competitive system could be a good idea. My son inherited my A700 and have fired the shutter well over 100,000 times on top of my usage. The A900 if of the same ilk and will probably provide good service well over that mark, so you have probably time on your side.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'd go for Nikon myself purely because I'd very much doubt Sony will make any more OVF cameras.
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Thanks for commenting. I will definitely wait and see what Sony's FF offerings are next year.

What's kind of strange, is that when I first looked through the A33's EVF I actually thought it was high quality, but when looking through both the A65 and A77, I wasn't able to easily focus everything, and I tried adjusting the diopter too. Maybe it's just knowing about possibly giving up the A900's OVF for the EVF. At any rate, I hope the FF EVF is another improvement. And, why is the A99 only going to be only 24mp, when the D800 will be 36? Maybe the A99 will be a really great camera? But, the other thing I just can't get around is the translucent mirror - losing sensitivity for auto focus.
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Revdocjim from Dyxum just reported an interview in a Japanese magazine with Mr. Tachikawa (product planing) where he mentions of not being sure for definitively leaving the DSLR...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
deathvalleydave
Heirophant

Well, for argument sake, if we knew Sony would "definitely" leave the dslr business, does that include its NEX line of cameras? Because I think those are a big hit - I mean, look at Nikon's response to NEX, their V1 and J1 cameras??? The NEX clearly dominates this field of small interchangeabe lens cameras with high image quality, of which the NEX 7 is the king.

But, again, for argument sake - if we knew they would leave the dslr business, then I would "definitely" have to do something when my A900 and CZ 2470 broke!!!
Lonnie Utah
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by Lonnie Utah »

Dr. Harout wrote:Revdocjim from Dyxum just reported an interview in a Japanese magazine with Mr. Tachikawa (product planing) where he mentions of not being sure for definitively leaving the DSLR...
Define DSLR....
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

He was talking about traditional ones with mirrors.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Reference above, I think it was reasonably clear from the extract of the interview and other postings on SAR that Sony are procrastinating over OVF or EVF in their next FF offering. I think the road is clear on APS-C that OVF is history. Not so sure Sony have made up their minds on FF. Some time ago there was a rumour on SAR that in fact there will be two FF models. One with 24Mp and the other with that 36Mp sensor also rumoured in the upcoming Nikon D800. Maybe Sony will put an EVF into the lower spec'ed one to keep price down and "test the water". The 36Mp would then get an OVF on the basis that for this model price will come after "quality" (if that expression can be used) rather than preference. Who knows. As main competition would be Nikon on the 36Mp model, price would probably be less important that "suitability" i.e. meeting the expectations of the professionals and high end enthusiasts. It would be a product with limited sales but good profits or it simply does not make sense (at least to me).