Sony A55 officially discontinued in Japan! - per SAR

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Sony A55 officially discontinued in Japan! - per SAR

Unread post by alphaomega »

Sony A55 officially discontinued in Japan! per this posting on SAR. (No SAR Rating)
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a55 ... -in-japan/
My guess is that there will be a successor priced below the A65, but with the new EVF and retaining a 16Mb sensor.
I do hope that at the same time Sony will see the logic in releasing a NEX-6 with the NEX-7 body and functionality but with the NEX-5N sensor. My dream camera.
I had a look through both an A65 and later the A77 EVF and I must say that for my purposes this EVF is quite adequate. I was struggling to get any "tracing" from moving the camera fast across the room. Would agree with David K. that perhaps it is a bit sort of "contrasty" but not to an extent that would bother me. If Sony can improve on this EVF it will be some feat. I do look forward to acquiring a NEX-7 in 2-3 months time when - hopefully - the UK price will dip below £900 for a body only one.
twm47099
Oligarch

Re: Sony A55 officially discontinued in Japan! - per SAR

Unread post by twm47099 »

I find "officially" and "SAR" in the same sentence to be somewhat amusing.

tom
alphaomega
Viceroy

I find "officially" and "SAR" in the same sentence to be somewhat amusing.

tom
This posting did not have a rating. So far SAR have been pretty accurate with some of their higher rated predictions. They seem to have a few "well informed sources". I think Sony are using the site sometimes to "pre release" information to stimulate interest and signal to potential customers what is "in the pipeline".
It seems this DCWatch translation from Japanese constitutes the origin of the rumour or announcement. Take your pick.
There seems to be something about it and DCWATCH appears to state that the A65 will take over the slot. Seems a pity if this is so as I think there is some merit in a 16Mp camera with the A65 EVF. Not everybody needs that 24Mp sensor but would like the new EVF.
alphaomega
Viceroy

I seemed to have forgotten to add the DCWatch URL above, so here it is for all it is worth.

http://translate.google.com/translate?s ... 05099.html
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

alphaomega wrote:They seem to have a few "well informed sources". I think Sony are using the site sometimes to "pre release" information to stimulate interest and signal to potential customers what is "in the pipeline".
There is a troll who sometimes comes to this forum and he hates any speculation such as that. If he sees it he is going to call you all kinds of nasty things. :lol: He very carefully conceals his identity though so he posts totally anonymously and says just about anything and then slinks off. You can decide for yourself what level on the spectrum of human being he is. :lol:
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Well that rules me out! Not one for low profiles on forums..
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:Well that rules me out! Not one for low profiles on forums..
Barry, no, you are one of the people who don't attack and hide your identity. Thank you.

By the way, there is a company named Stratfor in my hometown of Austin, Texas that I have been following since 1996. They provide non-ideological, non-partisan intelligence analysis and work very hard to be objective. I am just a subscriber on their free email list so not a paying customer who get full access to their website (incidentally, the website is temporarily free for everyone). They were the victims of a high profile hack by Anonymous recently and have been working very hard and spending lots of money to recover. The founder posted an interesting article about the hacking recently:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/hack-stratfor

In the global commons, anonymity is an option. This is one of the great virtues of the Internet. It is also a terrible weakness. It is possible to commit crimes on the Internet anonymously. The technology that enables the Internet also undermines accountability. Given the profusion of technical knowledge, the integrity of the commons is in the hands of people whose identities we don't know, whose motives we don't understand, and whose ability to cause harm is substantial. The consequence of this will not be a glorious anarchy in the spirit of Guy Fawkes, but rather a massive repression. I think this is a pity. That's why I wonder who the hackers actually are and what cause they serve. I am curious as to whether they realize the whirlwind they are sowing, and whether they, in fact, are trying to generate the repression they say they oppose.

We are now in a world in which anonymous judges, jurors and executioners can silence whom they want. Take a look at the list of organizations attacked. If the crushing attack on Stratfor is the new model, we will not be the last. No security system is without flaws even if it is much better than Stratfor's was.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Surely the day must dawn when web traffic, messages and port access is only allowed to those that have and carry verified id tags, anything else is automatically deleted. I thought Cisco routers control most of the web traffic; couldn’t those be programmed to accept and forward only traffic that has legitimate id, and null anything that is anonymous? Those who want to send encrypted messages will have to have prior id clearance or a pre-registered port to port open/close link.
Greg
Ps Henry that 'troll' post is a little too vague for me even to interpret I'm afraid. Hates speculation and is anonymous….hmmm nope you got me. Anyway alpahomega's idea is good I think, that camera would probably be quite popular with most as it would likely have lots less lag and delay problems and plenty enough MP's for good photography on a proven sensor.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Stratfor SHOULD have know better. They should have been PCI compliant, and then no credit card info would have been stolen. Also, an organization such as theirs whould have had various ports closed, re directed, etc., as well as had adaptive defense technologies in place.

A good defense is not cheap, but unless your company is not worth hacking - and most really aren't, if since they don't take orders on the web or do anything someone wants to stop - you need to invest in securing your systems. Even systems not worth hacking get attempted hacks all the time. Sometimes it's just script kiddies playing around and trying to take a look, sometimes it's someone wanting to compromise your system to use it to hack another.

Either way, if your company has a web presence, you need to do some minimal tweaking to keep the wolves at bay.

You can always hire me!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Greg Beetham wrote:Surely the day must dawn when web traffic, messages and port access is only allowed to those that have and carry verified id tags, anything else is automatically deleted. I thought Cisco routers control most of the web traffic; couldn’t those be programmed to accept and forward only traffic that has legitimate id, and null anything that is anonymous? Those who want to send encrypted messages will have to have prior id clearance or a pre-registered port to port open/close link.
Greg
Ps Henry that 'troll' post is a little too vague for me even to interpret I'm afraid. Hates speculation and is anonymous….hmmm nope you got me. Anyway alpahomega's idea is good I think, that camera would probably be quite popular with most as it would likely have lots less lag and delay problems and plenty enough MP's for good photography on a proven sensor.
This is what some want. What a great way to quell dissent!

In this day when a govt. can take down your website and seize your servers before you've even been to court, let's make it even easier to track down who you are. Some in Congress have called for an Internet ID, but as an American, I oppose the idea of (German accent) "your papers please!" just to log on the PCA or surf the web for whatever I want to. It's no ones business but mine. If I plan and commit crimes with the information I obtain on the web, the arrest me and prosecute me. Next it will be GPS tracking of your every move, to make sure you don't go where they think you shouldn't be.

Routers in general use today can't do what you want. Their main job is to look at where a packet of bits comes from and is going to, and send it on its way. That's the nature of the internet. Endpoint security, where and when needed, is what can do the rest.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Dusty wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote: Next it will be GPS tracking of your every move, to make sure you don't go where they think you shouldn't be.

Dusty
If you own a relatively new mobile phone, they already do....
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....