Alpha 55 display query

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Re: Alpha 55 display query

Unread post by daleshillrover »

Viceroy

Bingo. You solved the mystery. I will give it a test.
It seems strange that it replaces the histogram. Looking at it I think the histogram is far more useful. Anyway, at least I can find it now.
Thanks
Christine
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

It sounds like you solved the mystery agorabasta that’s good. I went looking in the A55 User Guide to see if there was any mention of how to set the scale/histogram in the menus and this is the closest I could find; (below) only thing is, it doesn’t explain about the display behaviour of the histogram vs. scale, it does mention pressing the [disp] button though so I guess you would need the camera for it all to be revealed…along with the required amount of dogged persistence and determination.
One interesting thing I did discover about the A55 in the User Guide (it’s not totally useless), is that you can do P/shift after all via the AEL button and the front control dial, I thought the camera was accused of not having that feature, or was that a different Alpha model.
Greg
Menu-histo-setting.jpg
Menu-histo-setting.jpg (156.38 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Greg Beetham wrote:One interesting thing I did discover about the A55 in the User Guide (it’s not totally useless), is that you can do P/shift after all via the AEL button and the front control dial, I thought the camera was accused of not having that feature, or was that a different Alpha model.
Alas, Greg, it doesn't mean that 'Guide' is not useless; it only means that it is outright deceiving.
There's no P-shift through that trick or through any other one for that matter...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ah you’re correct again agorabasta, I was reading the passage on the bottom of page78 and thought it applied globally, but it is only for M mode it seems, although I’m not clear on the exact procedure that one employs to ‘select’ aperture and shutter speed in M mode. Maybe they are ‘selected’ by the action of pressing the AEL button, but I’m not sure.
Greg
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Unread post by daleshillrover »

The a55 guide itself might not be totally useless but it's index is utterly useless.