Alpha 55 display query

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Alpha 55 display query

Unread post by daleshillrover »

On the display, bottom right, is the exposure compensation graphic.
In the manual this is shown with a distance/focus + shutter speed graphic above it, but this graphic does not appear on my display. I have tried twiddling buttons and menu topics etc but I can't find it.
Can anyone enlighten me about how to see this graphic, please?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Alpha 55 display query

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I don’t have the camera but I have the user guide; I’m not sure exactly what is missing from which display (EVF or LCD) or both, but I notice in the manual that you can cycle through various displays with the [DISP] switch on the rear multi controller. Not sure if this helps.
Greg
A55-Disp-switch.jpg
A55-Disp-switch.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
A55-Exposure-Comp-button.jpg
A55-Exposure-Comp-button.jpg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Thanks for the help, Greg. Yes I have tried going through the various display screens but the missing graphic never appears.
The missing bit is shown on the second of your screen grabs. It's the scale that appears above the exposure compensation scale.
I don't appear to have one. BooHooo!!
Thanks again for trying.

Christine
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

I think you should be in A- or S- mode too see it? Aperture or Shutter priority that is.
Or maybe it works for more modes... But it seems you should not be in Live View... Hmm :?
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Hi
Thanks for the imput.
I normally shoot in A. I have tried it in all the other modes.
It doesn't appear in the viewfinder or on the screen.
It doesn't appear in playback - on any of the display options.
I'm still totally puzzled.

Christine
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I see dpr http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta55/page5.asp have it on their review camera in ‘record mode’ but as Zeb said it does not in appear in ‘LV’ mode. There is also a menu option on page 42 of your user guide ‘menu button -> * 2 ->[Display Rec. Data] ->[For viewfinder]’ that might be worth tinkering with, not having the camera I can’t check.
Greg
ps It has to be hiding in there somewhere :lol:
A55-Display-screens.jpg
A55-Display-screens.jpg (104.6 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Thanks again Greg.
I've had a good look those pages in the manual but, alas, I still can't find the graphic display in either the viewfinder or on the LCD.
It's either being hidden by something the camera is set on - but I can't think what - or I'm being totally thick ( always a possibility!!)

Cheers
Christine
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Somebody around here must have an A55... :?
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

All I can think of to try at this point is to do a reset.
Greg
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

I didn't find if it toggles but have you tried pressing DOF preview button in Graphic Display mode?
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Hi
I hadn't tried the d-o-f button but I followed up on your suggestion - alas to no avail.
If no-one comes up with a magic bullet by tonight I'll try the "reset defaults" and see if the little blighter re-appears.

Thanks for your input.

Christine
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Btw Christine, what lens are you using on the camera at the moment? And have you checked to see if it’s locked in place properly with the release button properly engaged (popped out)? Also the AEL button is not set to toggle at all (I haven’t checked to see if it’s an option on the A55, if it isn't check too see if it's stuck in the engaged position)
Greg
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

OK, I have an a55.

That stupid scale/diagram appears if you have the histogram display off in the menu. The cam may show either a histo or that scale on one of the selectable screen layouts.
daleshillrover
Acolyte

Hi Greg.
I have tried it with the Sony 16-105 and the CZ 16-80. Both were locked in OK and I clicked a few images as part of the test. The AEL lock is not a feature that I use very often but I did play around with it and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Hi Viceroy.
Thanks for your suggestion. I have rotated through all the display options, the graphic display never appears regardless of whether the histogram is visible or not.
It's possible that the distance/focus graphic is not useful enough to bother with, but it would be nice to be able to see it and assess it.

Cheers
Christine
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

daleshillrover wrote: I have rotated through all the display options, the graphic display never appears regardless of whether the histogram is visible or not.
You first have go to the menu and switch the very ability of histogram appearance. Only then a screen layout with that stupid scale starts to appear in rotation.