Nord's new viewfinder!

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Nord's new viewfinder!

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Could these be in our future?
Is this firm the Designer/Manufacturer of the Sony EVF?
Looks good. :D

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/27/MicroOLED
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

Re: Nord's new viewfinder!

Unread post by Magnar Fjortoft »

After using the A55 for a while I was really waiting for a new EVF, but not so much after I got my A77 cameras. Last weekend I was shooting eagles from dawn to the middle of the day. The EVF performed very well, also when shooting 8 fps and when panning flying birds. I used the old Minolta APO G 400 mm f:4.5 lens for this session. A great lens, but autofocus is a bit slow. I used the camera without a break for hours, and the EVF never went to sleep. I had my right eye "glued" to the viewfinder, and to my surprise my eye did not become tired. Using a computer screen for such a period is really hard for my eyes! But then I fine tuned the diopter setting for the viewfinder at the start of the day.

A fully charged battery lasted for many hours, so with two or three spare batteries I think I should be ready for the most buissy shooting day.

Sure I am looking forward to better EVFs. What I hope for is higher resolution and refresh rate for a much more lifelike look and also better roundoff to white and black.

Edit: Added some images from this day:

Last edited by Magnar Fjortoft on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Magnar Fjortoft wrote:... I was shooting eagles from dusk to the middle of the day.
So you mean you were shooting them during all the evening dark, all through the night, and up until the sunrise, and then some more? That's quite a party you've been having there! :lol:

Sorry, absolutely could not resist, having imagined it all happening in Norway NOW... :oops:
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

agorabasta wrote:
Magnar Fjortoft wrote:... I was shooting eagles from dusk to the middle of the day.
So you mean you were shooting them during all the evening dark, all through the night, and up until the sunrise, and then some more? That's quite a party you've been having there! :lol:
LOL!

It was just one day ... from 0600 to 1600.

Too long and dark nights now, but when the summer is here we can shoot handheld for 24 hours! ;-)
agorabasta
Viceroy

Magnar Fjortoft wrote:It was just one day ... from 0600 to 1600.
Sure I understood.
But you have literally said you were shooting from dusk (evening twilight) till midday (happens next day only). The morning twilight time is 'dawn', not 'dusk'.

So I've shiveringly imagined that 'from dusk till midday' in winter Norway - brrrr!!!
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

agorabasta wrote: The morning twilight time is 'dawn', not 'dusk'.

So I've shiveringly imagined that 'from dusk till midday' in winter Norway - brrrr!!!
Lol! Now I see! I should know the difference between dawn and dusk ... but like am and pm, I sometimes just swich them! Thanks!

I have now corrected this in my initial post!

When I photographed the eagles, I was using a cover. Then wind isn't a problem. And with good clothes cold is no problem either. But all night, just waiting for the morning light, that would be too much! :-)
agorabasta
Viceroy

Technically, I really like the first image. Really great focusing at terminally thin DoF. And a perfect use of effective tone range.

But tell me, is that bird in some toothpaste-squeezing hardship? Its shortened neck and popping eyes seem to corroborate the suspicion based on that thing extruding from behind...
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Wonderful photos!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I like them, specially first and last.
BTW, the last one depicts the cold quite good.
I always wonder, don't they feel cold?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
lonewolf16x9
Heirophant

Unread post by lonewolf16x9 »

Magnar! Have you not been on DPReview? You know you cannot shoot BIF with an A77 now don't you?
Your'e 77 's must be faulty Sir! :lol:
Lovely Pics by the way, only once did I get close to an Eagle in the Harbour at Bodo, with all the toing and froing of fishing boats amongst the cuacophany of noise from the local Gull population it suddenly all went quiet and there right in front of me was a Sea Eagle sat in the middle of them all, Large Fish in Mouth and like all the Gulls were doing, I'm afraid I just gauped at it. Camera with longish lens attached in hand too...
Never occurred to me to actually photograph it :)

You getting any usable daylight yet?
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd
www.exaggeratedperspectives.co.uk
Magnar Fjortoft
Initiate

lonewolf16x9 wrote:Magnar! Have you not been on DPReview? You know you cannot shoot BIF with an A77 now don't you?
Your'e 77 's must be faulty Sir! :lol:
Dpreview is about too high expectations, not real world photography! :-)

There are many stories, or should we say urban legends, about the limitations of the A77. In my opinion this most of all is about users who expect the camera to do everything well at first try, without training photographic technique. Or worse: People figuring out what MIGHT be a problem, and then posting their speculations as real problems! :-)

After using the A77 for a while I think this camera is at least as capable for action photography as any aps-camera with their tunnel view ovf. Sadly, you need as much photographic technique as with previous cameras to succeed. Then you have to slightly adjust your photographic technique to fit the nature of the evf. At first try I think all users will stop following the action when the evf darkens out and the slide show effect takes effect. So the first you have to do is to ignore this effect (or defect) and move the camera according to the action. After some training this works extremely well. Then you should be able to follow fast action. You can even follow fast erratic movements at high frame rates, at least as precise as with an ovf camera, since the position of the subject in the viewfinder is so close to the real position, due to the high refresh rate or high next slideshow frame rate.

Also thanks a lot for telling about your meeting with the sea eagle in Bodo harbour. Impressive birds, aren't they!