New Sony FF announced

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Re: New Sony FF announced

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Greg Beetham wrote:When I see a 500/4G independently reviewed with sample photos then I’ll say the ‘release’ has some teeth, until then it’s a humongously expensive announcement that you can place an order for later this year and wait for x amount of time ? And you will probably need to plonk down a serious bunch of coconuts in advance. When you finally receive the lens it will be non returnable because the time period for returns will have elapsed.
well, I know of at least 2 orders so far so whilst they aren't going to compete with Canon or Nikon 500/4 production they are going to sell some.
Ps Ha ha it turns out the D800 doesn’t use a Sony sensor after all, http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... s--1071249 you have to laugh, people claiming that Nikon was only able to build the camera courtesy of Sony making the sensor for them and they had a ‘deal’ about usage of it…all of it fantasy land stuff.
I can't see anything there that says that it's not a Sony sensor.
Until someone does a tear down we won't know who fabbed it.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Heidfirst wrote: I can't see anything there that says that it's not a Sony sensor.
Until someone does a tear down we won't know who fabbed it.
This is the part that gives it away I think, “Of course, it is widely believed that it is Sony that produces the sensors for the D800, Nikon confirmed to us that it was working in partnership with another manufacturer for the sensor.”
Greg

Ps Any details on the orders for the lens? and also when they expect delivery?
Heidfirst
Oligarch

that doesn't say either way whether the fab is Sony or not, simply that Nikon worked with another firm.

I believe that delivery (at least at this stage) of the 500G is several months from order.
Given that the glass on a lens like this can take a year to make it suggests that they have some stock of parts already.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah ok Heidfirst I can see what you mean, it could be interpreted as, Nikon is working in partnership with another manufacturer for the sensor…meaning ‘not Sony’ OR Nikon is working in partnership with another manufacturer for the sensor…meaning ‘apart from Nikon itself’ in which case it still could be Sony.
But the thing is Nikon don’t fab sensors directly themselves even though the D3 was equipped with a 12MP FF sensor that wasn’t a Sony (by all accounts, but the D3x was…supposedly) and it wasn’t manufactured by Nikon either as they don’t have a large sensor fab (that I ever heard of) so whoever it was that made that one could have made the D800 sensor as well, to a Nikon design.
Also there is the later Nikon claim that the sensor is a Nikon one (covered in a previous post)….no mention of any partnership at all, but of course that could be just sales brochure talk where sometimes anything inconvenient is overlooked, and Nikon wouldn’t be a pioneer in that regard.
Greg
Heidfirst
Oligarch

exactly - even though Nikon manufacture steppers for fabs they don't have a fab of their own.

Iirc the D3/D700/D3s sensors were Aptina (but it could have been Renesas).
The D3X was fabbed by Sony - the pictures are out there to prove it (& Nikon later admitted it iirc after initially claiming it as Nikon designed).
Of course that doesn't mean that Sony supplied sensors for Nikon are identical to sensors used in Sony's own bodies - the filter array can be different & I believe that Nikon did more of the processing off-sensor than Sony - so to a certain extent they could justify it as Nikon designed.
Aart Roest
Acolyte

Unread post by Aart Roest »

My A900 was lifted. What would you advise me ? I do like the DSLR sytem. So far I am not pleased by SLT.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I think you can still get new A900's at the moment, but failing that if you want a normal DSLR FF the only other choice is Nikon or Canon, which means some new lenses, you could try the A77, plenty of people like it so there must be something worthwhile there, or wait to see what the next Sony FF is like....whenever, it's a case of learning to like EVF's I guess.
Greg
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Aart Roest wrote:My A900 was lifted. What would you advise me ? I do like the DSLR sytem. So far I am not pleased by SLT.
That's a shame. I hope you get it back, but it's doubtful. Twice I was lucky enough to recover stolen cameras. Once because we figured out who stole it, and another time because whoever broke in to my car later hitch-hiked drunk and left it in the back seat a few days later. The finder called me (had my card in it) and was quite surprised to find it stolen!

As far as replacement goes - If you want a 4 year old but good tech, and have lots of Alpha equipment, find another 900 or 850. If you want to stay OVF and are going to have to spend $2k+ to get something equivalent, go with the D800.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).