End of the road for the 580?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

End of the road for the 580?

Unread post by Dusty »

I just searched SonyStyle's USA website and it tells me the 580 in "No Longer Available".

Perhaps the A600 rumors are true, after all? Since they no longer list the A900 either, perhaps they're ending OVFs?

I'm not happy if it's option B, and also not happy that it's the end of the 900 w/o a replacement in sight, either, but option A could light my face up for a while.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mvanrheenen

Re: End of the road for the 580?

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

What, the a580 is going out already? They're fast to stop producing camera's I think.

Mark
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I have never seen an A580 or A550 at a store even though I have checked in many stores in several U.S. states and several countries, including Japan. I have seen the A55 dozens of times. I suspect that if an A600 comes out it will be the same: a phantom camera that almost no one ever sees.

After thinking about it a few moments I realized that in the last year or so the only Sony cameras I have seen at stores are the A77, A65, A55, A33, NEX 7, NEX 5N, and NEX C3. As a point of further comparison the larger-than-digicam-sensor cameras or interchangeable lens cameras I have seen at stores are:

Canon 1D4, 5DII, 7D, 60D, 50D, 600D, 550D, 1100D
Nikon D3, D700, D7000, D5100, D3100, D300s, V1, J1
Pentax K-5, K-r, Q
Panasonic GH-2, G3, GX1, GF3
Olympus E-P3, E-PL3, E-PL3
Fujifilm X100
Ricoh GXR
Samsung (don't remember the models)
redsim74
Oligarch

Unread post by redsim74 »

Sony have always seemed to treat the A580 like a red-headed stepchild.

I've seen it in Sony Style stores here and even tried it a few times, but it has never been advertised on their website that I know of.

I couldn't warm to the A5X/A5XX bodies (size, controls) after the A700, but if there's an A600 with a body more like the A65 and a 16MP sensor I'd be in there like a shot.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I did see the A580 in a few places, but never once an A560 (not sure if that ever made it to the shops)
Stocks seems to evaporate on the A580 shortly after it was announced as discontinued, I'm not sure why that was though possibly it was not held in big numbers.

A600 well it's not impossible but sorry a penta mirror isn't going to cut it for many users it would look like an after thought to appease OVF users. I'd also question just how long Sony would carry on with that before you lost that buying option.

Dusty much goodness awaits in Nikon and Canon, they are consistent and both makers have decent OVF penta prism models to buy right now. Getting along great with the D90 it's delivering the goods nicely and I like the Nikon lens range too. I might add another one I like it that much or maybe a D7k or an update when that happens. I'm even considering a complete move to F Mount with an F6 on the cards for serious 35mm work.

I still have some A mount stuff and I use the 5d's as well but there is no going back really. Even if Sony made a half decent OVF model I just don't think it would be worth looking at they're all into SLT and that's where they are putting the resources. It's a gradual transition from A mount to Nikon for me..bit by bit I've come to accept I should be shooting Nikon (because it suits my needs better) and A mount for me is a dead end.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

mvanrheenen wrote:What, the a580 is going out already? They're fast to stop producing camera's I think.

Mark
it was launched at the same time as the A55 which is now discontinued as well.
It seems that for entry level Sony are running a 1 year cycle same as their Cybershots.

Apparently though the A35 is now marked as discontinued on the Sony UK website which does surprise me as that's only about 8 months old.

& as for the A580 (which I own) I do agree that Sony didn't put any effort behind selling it & all their promotional efforts behind SLT.
Shame as it's a very good vfm product.
I don't think that the A560 ever made the UK? Either a Sony UK decision or iirc there was a shortage of that particular sensor (NEX sales?) so maybe they didn't actually make many.
bfitzgerald

I never saw a single ad for the A580 but quite a few for the SLT models.
The A560 was evidently delayed due to sensor shortages or something like that, there are some stocks available of both if you dig around on ebay a bit.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I've been secretly admiring the F6 for a very long time Barry, can you keep me posted if you get one?
Greg
Ps and yeah A580 = Sony/foot/shoot/ow
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

With reference to Barry Fitzgerald's conversion to Nikon, it is "horses for courses" as usual. I am convinced that by and large you cannot go wrong with a Nikon as your main camera. I notice there is no mention of Pentax. I thought that Pentax was the end destination.
I love my A580 but I am sure that I would do equally well with a Nikon, particularly with a model featuring a Sony derived sensor.
Essentially we should all own equipment that suits our shooting style. Nikon and Canon have lots more lenses and accessories. What Sony (and third parties) offer fit my requirements.
I cannot make any evidence based comments, but I rely on David Kilpatrick's evaluation of the prowess of Sony sensors and processing and I have no complaints about the performance of my Sony cameras so I for one am staying put.
bfitzgerald

Of course it's down to choices and needs. I like things about all the makers I have tried and there are elements that are less appealing too even for Nikon.
Pentax might suit users who like small compact primes/bodies and weather sealing, but they're not mainstream enough I think to appeal to a broader market. I'm not overly impressed with their lens line up and I learnt my lesson the hard way being seduced with well featured low cost bodies that on paper should have nailed it but often had other issues which dented their appeal. I'm not overly impressed with their plastic primes either at the budget end I loathe with a passion plastic mount primes!

Greg the idea of the F6 is to unify the system to F mount including 35mm and that opens to the door to FF digital later on too. I've been reducing my A mount gear though I still have most of it, over time I expect that to fall as I make space for Nikon stuff. I do use the 5d's I have and will continue to wring every bit of work out of them that I can, they have paid for themselves many times over.

As for Sony they can appeal to users too if they offer what they are looking for. Personally I think OVF users should make a move now whilst the A580 did briefly tempt me for a while I can't get my head around a VF that's actually a bit worse than the now dated 5d's I have. Dusty and Walt folks like that should IMO make that move and now is as good a time as any. OVF fans will ultimately not be well served with A mount unless Sony pulls something dramatic out of the bag.

And you have a lot more choices for these types of cameras with the main 2 players.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I can say the same actually, I'm happy with my cameras as well, dated as they are (they are prehistoric DSLR’s without even LV). We in Australia never had the opportunity to even see an A580 in a shop anywhere; Sony never offered it for sale here. What I'm not totally keen on is there is now no choice here; it's SLT or SLT from Sony.
Even though I was never very keen on the A900, (mainly because it didn't have an inbuilt flash, the modern method of communicating with external flashes is via the popup flash and Sony produced a high grade camera without one), but it looks like they are repeating the same procedure they did with the A700, discontinue the camera and leave the niche empty for who knows how long, a very odd method of getting your product noticed, (not that I ever saw an A900 in any photographic shop either, so I for one won’t notice it’s gone).
But I guess Sony is happy to do whatever it is they do in the SLR business, what seems haphazard and non directional to us might look totally different on the other side of the fence, Sony could be operating to some ingenious plan that is not immediately apparent to us, maybe it’s something like ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ or something along those lines, not sure, it’s too abstract for my meagre intellect.
In the meantime I will content myself with gazing fondly at a sign that says make.believe.
Greg
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Sorry Barry I wasn’t replying directly to you, just having a rant.
Yeah I think I’d keep my A-mount stuff, its low mileage (not a huge amount of use), all my lenses are (D) so my 3600HS (D) and the F56 both work well on all three of my cameras. One thing I noticed recently was just how well the KM5D is actually laid out, I used to think the left knob was overkill just for access to the WB, but actually it’s more useful than the A100 LH knob I think.
I can access the modes on the rear screen on the KM5D faster with the Fn button than turning that A100 knob this way and that. The only thing that was wrong with the KM5D is the low res rear screen, but I guess it also draws far less power than a high res one so what the heck I say it doesn’t bother me all that much, but that’s where the A100 shines it has a high res screen fairly similar to the A700 except it’s a little smaller.
The camera I would like is one with the layout of the A700 (I wouldn’t mind the KM5D either, it has everything important right at hand), with the addition of mirror up LV (and it stays there during a shot) with a tilting screen, and that’s about it for me, not hard too please, don’t care about MP’s as long as it isn’t more (or much more) than 16, I can always shoot general photography, family stuff for example at 8MP, that is plenty of res for that kind of thing I think.
But yeah it wouldn’t hurt to dabble with some Nikon gear as well some time I guess, after I finish rebuilding the house maybe.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphaomega
Viceroy

Unread post by alphaomega »

Barry and Greg,
You both make v. good points from your perspective and switching now would probably make a lot of sense.
Due to my advancing age and a problematic back I am switching to NEX. The Sony variety (IQ) is superior to everyting else on the market. My NEX-5 with 18-55, 55-210 and 16mm pancake with W/A converter is doing just fine. I will add the NEX-7 in the spring and the new NEX lens plan for 2012/13 looks fine for me with new standard and W/A zooms on the horizon.
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=6327
I like the NEX-7 EVF (seen through it in A77).
So again it is definitely "horses for courses".
There is no NEX equivalent from Canon or Nikon. I also use a Panasonic LX5 24-90mm - fantastic for the size of sensor. The Canon/Nikon equivalents start at 28mm - absolutely no use to me.
I think that 4/3 is stuck at Panasonic's 16mm sensor if high ISO noise is to be kept under control so the future is probably more NEX than 4/3.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes alphaomega with the advent of the NEX7 (even though I think 24MP is overkill in a small camera) and the prospect of some additional lenses at some point the NEX system does look more attractive, I’m just not sure about the small battery and CDAF, those two things would tend too keep me at bay for a while. There is the Mkll adaptor with focusing for A-mount lenses but there again I have doubts about that when you get that already with a DSLR without bothering with any adaptor. Btw the weight of the NEX7 with battery and the LA-EA2 adaptor is 550g and the weight of an A580 is 679g (without battery, I couldn’t find a spec list that showed the weight WITH battery), so the A580 too my mind isn’t all that much heavier plus you get fast response times and PDAF focus built in.
But then again if there is no need for the LA-EA2 adaptor for A-mount lenses when all the NEX lenses become available that will save 200g, then the NEX7 body drops back too 350g including battery.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

I have thought about going SLT or Nex only if my a580 would need replacing, but I cannot see myself shooting handheld birdshots in a dence forrest with my 70-400. The Nex is too small, both in size and batterycapacity. There is no vertical grip and if I want the faster focussing option I need pdaf, which costs me a stop off light. Same goes for SLT. Just don't see that happening. I sincerely hope OVF will still be an option when my a580 dies on me in a few years or that SLT technology allows me to have as much light as current OVF models without loss of detail in my images.

Mark