UK Focus on Imaging Show 2012 (March 4-7, Birmingham NEC)

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

UK Focus on Imaging Show 2012 (March 4-7, Birmingham NEC)

Unread post by DrScottNicol »

Anyone heard about Sony attending the big show at the NEC next week? Sony are currently conspicuous by their absence in terms of trade stands or event at the show. Last year they put on a big display stand, in part to offset the complete surprise absence of Canon. We don't get many big Photo shows in the UK that are open to trade and consumers so I'd have thought some sort of presence would be desirable given that the recent launch cameras are just about coming commonly available after the problems (but then Canon was a no show last year so maybe the cost / benefit sums just don't add up). So far, of the big camera manufacturer's, Canon have confirmed with a series of lectures and talks, Nikon confirmed this week but high end pro stuff only, Olympus are pushing the new pro level pen in a series of events but so far no panasonic, Pentax / Ricoh or Sony on the list - they all had significant stands / presence last year. I'm still going but hoping the remaining big brands are just trying to maximise their press with last minute announcements on attendance.

EDIT update
Just downloaded the latest floor plans - canon have taken the stand panasonic had last year, the small wing Sony occupied is closed off and has stands in front of the doors so I doubt it will be occupied and Nikon's stand is just over half the size of last years and will be showing the new pro bodies only.. guess the marketing spend this year is severely curtailed / best spent elsewhere for these companies :-(

Scott
Sony NEX 5n (IR Conversion) / Nex 5r / a55 / NEX 6 / Dynax 7 / a77 user

http://www.SNICOLPHOTOS.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drsnicol
alphaomega
Viceroy

Re: UK Focus on Imaging Show 2012 (March 4-7, Birmingham NEC

Unread post by alphaomega »

SAR has another rumoour now
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-ther ... a-anymore/
so there will not be another mirror camera to replace the discontinued A580, but SAR is also going on about the important Sony announcement on 13 March supposedly including a replacement for the A55.
And Sony has just lost a "bucketful" of money and perhaps they have "to count the pennies". Maybe the situation is also that because of the tsunami and Thailand floods they can sell what they can produce and why add to a demand courve that is already to steep for their production capability.
It would seem to me that they are in a transition from mirror to mirrorless and NEX with a curtailed production apparatus so they are being cautious with spend. Maybe next year with new APS-C, FF and NEX cameras and lenses in the market place we will see more promotion.
Who knows what to expect next from Sony? It's a bit like "keep your enemy wondering".
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

http://www.techradar.com/news/photograp ... ow-1067595

confirmed by Paul Genge - No Sony stand :-(

Scott

bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I think it's important makers attend these events. The absence and "no benefit" stuff does not convince me at all.
DrScottNicol
Oligarch

bfitzgerald wrote:I think it's important makers attend these events. The absence and "no benefit" stuff does not convince me at all.
I totally agree.. all I would say is that a friend of mine said his company looked into having a stand a while back and the price was just far, far too high to justify it.. whether thats the NEC or the focus organiser's fault (or more likely both) I don't know.

However, Sony's absence is bad for Sony (canon and nikon are there, reinforcing the idea they are real camera companies whilst Sony is just an electronics manufacturer - not my personal view but I can see how others might see it that way), bad for the industry (this is supposedly the UK's biggest photo show.. if it starts sliding into something 2nd rate, attendance falls and then retailers at the show suffer) and bad for focus (their publicity photos for this years show make heavy use of stands / companies that aren't even attending this year - Sony really stepped up with their stand shows last year to help fill the void that canon's absence left). Also, I'm not singling out Sony here - I think its a great shame Pentax, Panasonic, Wescott (I can see them listed but I may be wrong) et al aren't attending either - I'm not a Pentax / Panasonic user but still spent a bit of time at their stands last year - Its nice and convenient to see these the complete ranges under one roof.

Bah... and before I checked today I was looking forward to going next week too

Scott

David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The MPA has pulled out too, their stands recently cost £35,000 once all costs were considered, and they felt it was not a valid use of membership money. Once they used to get a stand free in return for advertising... how things change! Paul told me Sony were not there back in January and we said so in our Focus preview in Master Photography. That's not news!

I decided to try having a stand, booked it, and pulled out within three days of getting the paperwork and realising the NEC's contractor charges would double my costs, and that they don't even give you an exhibitor vehicle pass you have pay for access... another change in recent years.

David
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

Possibly because Canon weren't there last year (so some people didn't attend) Sony felt that they didn't get value for their £150K spend & that it could be better spent elsewhere to promote their imaging division.
Afaik they will be visiting though to see what this year's show is like.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Canon gave a reason last year, as did Hasselblad for ceasing press advertising at the same time. Both said they intended to use nationwide public small events to promote their gear.

Never happened!

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Sony can afford it though!
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

being able to afford it & it being good (business) sense are 2 different things :wink:
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Is this jamboree worth attending?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Worth attending - on the Sunday, yes, if you are looking for bargains that sell out fast; on the Wednesday, yes, as many stands sell off their stock at 10, 20 even 50% off rather than pack it up. The Flash Centre takes payment from Wednesday morning onwards and you collect when the show closes, it can be very difficult to get into the queue to buy the discounted gear.

It's not so much a photo show as a big market with some exhibitors. I like to have a chat with Sigma's team, they are the company which most reminds me of the old Minolta UK, but then Graham was of course CZ - the importers of Praktica, who were also a great genuinely photographer-friendly company.

David