Questions on electronic first curtain shutter

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Questions on electronic first curtain shutter

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I am curious on the relationship between the Sony Alpha and Canon electronic first curtain shutters. I found the article below that has some information on the Canon electronic first curtain shutters.
I assume the 60D and The T3i must also have an electronic first curtain shutter, but those DSLRs are not included in the article. I understand from the article that the electronic first curtain shutter is only available in Canon live-view modes. I'd like to know, if this is similar mechanics as found in the Alpha A77, A65, A55, and A57. Please tell me if I am correct, that in the Alpha line, the electronic first curtain shutter is user selectable, and available in all modes, not just in live-view.

Excerpt from: http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html

Canon “Live-View” with an electronic first shutter curtain.
Many Canon DSLRs with the “live-view” feature have an interesting feature. They can eliminate the need for a mechanical first shutter curtain by using “a unique high-speed scanning and electronic reset system that accurately mimics the... high-speed mechanical shutter operation. It synchronizes with the mechanical 2nd-curtain shutter to obtain a slit exposure.” In addition, the way live-view has been incorporated in these camera bodies the exposure can be initiated while in “live-view” without any mirror motion. As a result, an exposure can begin with absolutely no mechanical movement at all, and thus no vibration. The exposure is concluded by the closing of the mechanical second shutter curtain. After the exposure there will be some mechanical movement in the camera but this obviously can not effect the exposure (with the possible exception of a continuous “burst” of successive pictures).

Thanks,

George
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Questions on electronic first curtain shutter

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Fotogeorge wrote:Please tell me if I am correct, that in the Alpha line, the electronic first curtain shutter is user selectable, and available in all modes, not just in live-view.

George
Correct. It is user selectable and it is called Front Curtain Shutter.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
alphauser
Acolyte

Re: Questions on electronic first curtain shutter

Unread post by alphauser »

Fotogeorge wrote:I am curious on the relationship between the Sony Alpha and Canon electronic first curtain shutters. I found the article below that has some information on the Canon electronic first curtain shutters.
I assume the 60D and The T3i must also have an electronic first curtain shutter, but those DSLRs are not included in the article. I understand from the article that the electronic first curtain shutter is only available in Canon live-view modes. I'd like to know, if this is similar mechanics as found in the Alpha A77, A65, A55, and A57. Please tell me if I am correct, that in the Alpha line, the electronic first curtain shutter is user selectable, and available in all modes, not just in live-view.

Excerpt from: http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html

Canon “Live-View” with an electronic first shutter curtain.
Many Canon DSLRs with the “live-view” feature have an interesting feature. They can eliminate the need for a mechanical first shutter curtain by using “a unique high-speed scanning and electronic reset system that accurately mimics the... high-speed mechanical shutter operation. It synchronizes with the mechanical 2nd-curtain shutter to obtain a slit exposure.” In addition, the way live-view has been incorporated in these camera bodies the exposure can be initiated while in “live-view” without any mirror motion. As a result, an exposure can begin with absolutely no mechanical movement at all, and thus no vibration. The exposure is concluded by the closing of the mechanical second shutter curtain. After the exposure there will be some mechanical movement in the camera but this obviously can not effect the exposure (with the possible exception of a continuous “burst” of successive pictures).

Thanks,

George
A55 does not feature electronic shutter.
Current models with electronic first curtain shutter: SLT-A57/65/77 and Nex-5n/Nex-7