WHICH FLASHES & ACCESSORIES SHOULD I GET?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
OLSKOOL
Acolyte

WHICH FLASHES & ACCESSORIES SHOULD I GET?

Unread post by OLSKOOL »

Which Flashes should I get?

I want to purchase two off camera flashes for use in automotive pictures.
Then move onto three eventually.

I would like to control them wirelessly and obviuosly off a slave unit.
(kind of like a pocket wizard set up)

Does Sony offer anything like this?

The other option, and my prefered choice would be a few Metz flashes but I am unsure if they can suit a Sony DSLR.

I currently have an A100 with 5 good quality CZ, G style and Sigma lenses but I am waiting to see how the 'new' A900 will compare to the current A700 for my planned body upgrade. My cash is waiting for either model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jordan.
harveyzone
Oligarch

Re: WHICH FLASHES & ACCESSORIES SHOULD I GET?

Unread post by harveyzone »

OLSKOOL wrote:Which Flashes should I get?

I want to purchase two off camera flashes for use in automotive pictures.
Then move onto three eventually.

I would like to control them wirelessly and obviuosly off a slave unit.
(kind of like a pocket wizard set up)

Does Sony offer anything like this?
Sony alpha cameras offer built in wireless control when used with the correct flashes, so no add on is required. Have a look at http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/1 ... pha-dslrs/ (and suplimentary http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2008/06/1 ... hvl-f58am/ and http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2007/07/2 ... for-alpha/. Only the new Sony flash guns currently offer wireless ratio flash control, but I personnaly have never found this to be an issue as ratios can be controlled by changing flash distances, difusion etc. YMMV.

They can also be used manually with alternative wireless controllers and adapters, but sometimes this can be mess due to the proprietry hotshoe. I use a generic 'ebay' wireless controller with FS1100 adapter.
OLSKOOL wrote: The other option, and my prefered choice would be a few Metz flashes but I am unsure if they can suit a Sony DSLR.
Metz SCA 3302 can be used with sony alpha cameras and will allow full TTL and wireless when used with a suitable flash. I regularly use a couple of old Metz hammerheads but they are only capable of manual or semi automated control.

Have a look also at http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashcomp.php which has spome useful information about minolta (/sony) flash, and also http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm.
--
Tom
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nicely said Harveyzone.
Jordan, I see it is your first post, so welcome to the forum. :D
If you are planning to purchase the A900, then I think you should opt for the 58 flashes (HVL-F58AM).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
OLSKOOL
Acolyte

Unread post by OLSKOOL »

Thank you very much Harvey Zone.
Your knowledge is very useful
I have had a look at all of thoese links and these have aided me with my research.

Thank you for the welcome too Dr Harout.
I have had a look at the forum a few times so I decided to join up to learn a little more.

To be honest, after reading a few more pages on here, and other places I think I might just stay with the idea of the A700.
That will improve my work without opening a can of worms with the differences the A900 may generate.

I need to make sure all my lenses are compatable and ultimately I would like to purchase accesories that suit both the 100 and 700 so I can have an extra body for any purposes that may arise.

This site sure provides some interesting reading.

Thanks again to the both of you.

Cheers!

Jordan.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm pretty happy with my F56AM. It has all the pro level connectivity and then some bounce capability that the F58 can't match, such as 270 degree swiveling on the horizontal plane. I can bounce it off of the wall directly behind me in my little apartment and get some pretty nice effects. Also, I'm skeptical of how much weight the plastic Sony hot shoe can handle--my F56 already wobbles a little on my A700 and the F58 is much more ungainly.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Thanks for the input KevinBarrett and welcome to the forum (this is your first post). :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I found this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEQ_wzzVNFc

I think it would work OK bouncing behind you even though it doesn't swivel in the horizontal plane in the traditional manner.

actually I'm look at some of the other sony related videos on youtube. the responses are amazing for some of the viewers. the rlated links youtube take you to are somewhat random but I saw one exchane where someone asks in relation to the A700 if it was better than the 40D. the response was yess because yadda yadda, they it was folowed by 3 or 4 enthusiastic "thats the camera i'm buying" I wonder if Sony is actively putting those videos up there as a marketing tactic?
KevinBarrett wrote:I'm pretty happy with my F56AM. It has all the pro level connectivity and then some bounce capability that the F58 can't match, such as 270 degree swiveling on the horizontal plane. I can bounce it off of the wall directly behind me in my little apartment and get some pretty nice effects. Also, I'm skeptical of how much weight the plastic Sony hot shoe can handle--my F56 already wobbles a little on my A700 and the F58 is much more ungainly.