spare parts for A900 A850?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
picman
Heirophant

spare parts for A900 A850?

Unread post by picman »

This is unbelievable!

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a900-repair ... ml#1019885

Any experiences, opinions?

Cheers, Bob.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: spare parts for A900 A850?

Unread post by Dusty »

If true, this could put Sony sales into a tailspin. No one wants to buy an expensive bit of kit and be told 10 months later that it's no longer repairable due to lack of parts.

This could also get them into hot water as it would be seen as fraud to sell an extended warranty and then not be able to honor it.

Anyone want to spend $2500 an an A99 and then be told when the A109 comes out 3 years later it can't be fixed?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

There doesn't seem to be a firm basis for this. However, we must remember that the Dynax 9 became unrepairable less than ten years from introduction and the entire early Dynax/AF series was unrepairable by 1990. We do not know what inventory has been destroyed in last year's events.

Odd things can happen. In the UK, the Minolta warehouse suffered a major fire in the mid 1970s. When I bought some of the gear in 2006, you could smell the fire still on some of the items from the 70s even though they had been moved between maybe six or seven warehouses in the meantime. Even more items were destroyed.

David
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

picman wrote:This is unbelievable!

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a900-repair ... ml#1019885

Any experiences, opinions?
I question the validity of this information.

I notice that the person who is reporting this had purchased an extended warranty from the dealer, not from Sony or from a recognized third-party that specializes in camera warranties. I suspect that the dealer is attempting to avoid standing behind the warranty, to save himself money.

Another reason that I question this is that there are several countries where the law requires a seller to support a product for a specific period after the seller ceases to manufacture it - and I believe that this period is most commonly 7 years.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
picman
Heirophant

Unread post by picman »

There are some opinions on this over at dyxum, dpr and the sony flickr site too. Many doubt the correctness of the information.