A77 battery compatibility issues

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

A77 battery compatibility issues

Unread post by mikeriach »

I bought a Hahnel battery maybe 20 months or so ago as a spare for the A700.
Just found out today that it doesn't work in the A77.
It switches on OK but after a few shots the camera announces "battery exhausted" even when it has just been charged. No problem in the A580.

Just a friendly warning for others.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Re: A77 battery compatibility issues

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I have two genuine Sony batteries for my a580, and one of them occasionally comes up as "incompatable battery, please replace", and if I take it out, & put it back in again, it works perfectly! Even Sony couldn't explain it!
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

I bought it as it was 50% of the cost and was from a reputable 3rd party company.
At least I can still use it elsewhere.
It jams in the A580 and A700 but you can persuade it to pop out eventually.

Mike
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Update:

Now it doesn't work in any of my cameras so headed for the recycling bin.
Waste of money.

Mike
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Several months ago I bought 3 Power2000 brand spares, model ACD-751, on e-bay for $35. One wouldn't ever reach full charge on the charger, at least, the charge indicator light would never go off. The other 2 were fine. The company sent out a replacement right away, free of charge, don't bother to return the other (which does work).

All fit fine, give me great service in my 350s and 700, and are supposed to be 2000mAh. All I can say is I'm a lot happier with them than I am paying $70 each for a Sony branded one.

I have 2 original Sony's, and now 4 Power2000 batts for 3 Alphas. The one used 350 I bought had a generic battery in it, which no longer works, hence the need to buy more spares.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've looked on the Duracell direct site and that has a compatible battery for the A77, they're not "dirt cheap" (no ebay clone cheap) but they're fairly priced.
I bought one for the D90 works as good as the original and in addition you get a 3 year warranty that covers the battery AND any damage caused to it via the Duracell cell.

I was quite impressed with that side of things.
Anything that does not work I send back, I did pick up a Sido battery for the A200 when I had it and that worked fine. The original Sony one was down on capacity for some reason didn't last that long really (would discharge to 50% odd if you left it a few weeks)