Comment on EVF

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
dewarp
Oligarch

Comment on EVF

Unread post by dewarp »

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Comment on EVF

Unread post by bakubo »

There are many people who said when the NEX 5/3 came out without an accessory EVF that an EVF was useless and I remember one even said that if Sony came out with an optional accessory EVF that he would switch to another brand. All they want or ever want is a rear LCD. There must be lots of disappointment among those folks these days. :lol:
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

I love the comments about the English longbows vs the French crossbows. But I guess Don doesn't realize that even crossbows have come a long way since then (like the EVF) and even have fast multishot capability (like the EVF).

Ed

Edit added - a NEX crossbow? - http://club937.com/mini-crossbow-its-no ... t-matters/
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Not the old longbow v crossbow argument ;-)
Pros and cons to both better range with a longbow, faster rate of fire, but requires more extensive training to be good at it. Crossbow shorter range, less training needed, can be pre-loaded, but shorter range, slower to make/build more complicated design, slower reloading time
Anyone writing off the longbow should read up on the Battle of Agincourt 8)

Back to EVF's we can accept the pros and cons of both OVF and EVF. I would like to see more effort put into OVF's at the lower end esp.
I'm still wondering how Sony can eventually remove the mirror and get phase detect AF off a moving sensor (SSS)
I still can't get my head around EVF's improved or not I feel detached when using them, that's not good..not good at all

No idea where this "chimp and check" comes from either, that's not as common as suggested.
Mark K
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Mark K »

Well, one week or two after my intensive using my D800, I felt relieved by coming back to A77, especially shooting outdoors.
There are so many advantages offered by SLT cameras comparing to a conventional one like D800. Near silent shutter sound, faster fps, better visualization under direct sun light, much better live view, tiltable LCD screen and full time phase detection AF in video mode. I believe the next FF model of SLT will have much improved. Anything lacking will be Sony's AF system (still quite a lot hunting using A77, and image processing).
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

bakubo wrote:There are many people who said when the NEX 5/3 came out without an accessory EVF that an EVF was useless and I remember one even said that if Sony came out with an optional accessory EVF that he would switch to another brand. All they want or ever want is a rear LCD. There must be lots of disappointment among those folks these days. :lol:
I just got the evf for the nex 5n and I must say, it is twice the camera with the evf than without, it was the first camera I reached for today, I will keep the a580 but will sell the mint a700 that I have and get the nex LA-EA2 lens adaptor for the A mount lenses
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Here's a question:

Why buy a camera without a viewfinder (Of any type), then buy an add EVF, and then think about buying ANOTHER EVF adaptor? You have 2 OVF DSLRs, and Sony make a range of EVF SLTs, which will use most of the lenses you can use on your DSLR. If you want a camera with an EVF, what was wrong with an SLT?

If size and weight was a consideration, why add bulky (In the case of the LA-EA2) extras, just to use lenses that would fit an SLT in the first place!

Sorry, but It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:Here's a question:

Why buy a camera without a viewfinder (Of any type), then buy an add EVF, and then think about buying ANOTHER EVF adaptor? You have 2 OVF DSLRs, and Sony make a range of EVF SLTs, which will use most of the lenses you can use on your DSLR. If you want a camera with an EVF, what was wrong with an SLT?

If size and weight was a consideration, why add bulky (In the case of the LA-EA2) extras, just to use lenses that would fit an SLT in the first place!

Ha ha I've never understood it myself, not when the re-invention isn't as fast or as functional as the original, but hey whatever floats the old boat I guess, I really don't mind any more, the main thing I guess is there isn't any mirror in front of the sensor when a photo gets took...just like in a DSLR actually. :lol:
Greg
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:Here's a question:

I am inclined to agree with much of this. I really cannot see the point of adding a protruding evf to the Nex-5N when the Nex-7 has an integral one. The small difference in price is more than compensated by the additional control wheels IMO. I suppose it is fair to say that IQ on the 5N, at least from the perspective of noise, might be marginally better although I feel more convinced these days that higher pixel count means improved resolution - provided you have the lens to take advantage of this. Fortunately many legacy lenses will still over-stretch current sensors but that is changing.

But I have to agree with the point about the use of the LA-EA2. For me the great thing about the NEX is the ability to use, with small to very small adapters, small lenses such as LM, ZM, VM, MD, FD, OM, etc. The whole point of the camera is lost, I feel, if it is burdened with comparative giants such as Sony/Minolta AF A-mount lenses. To be sure, there are exceptions to this - the splendid Minolta 135/2.8 AF springs to mind, as do certain other adaptable teles - but the smaller LA-EA1 is fine for the Minolta lens. Such use generally requires tripod mounting and the LA adapters do have integral tripod mounting sockets.

However, this is not, I would suggest, a prime use for this little camera. Unfortunately, it can also have its downside, as I discovered this weekend when my tripod mounted NEX-7, along with 180mm Leica R and 2x converter, was knocked over by a wind-blown umbrella table. The Leica lenses, thankfully, survived the experience. Sad to say, the NEX-7 has been badly damaged with both the viewfinder and top plate smashed; so much for being built like a tank! It remains to see whether the camera is repairable but, whichever way, it was an expensive gust of wind.

I have posted my final pictures with this camera on the Birds 2012 post.
Last edited by artington on Mon May 28, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That's terrible news artington, I hate hearing of cameras getting damaged for no reason, even NEX's are decent enough cameras and fill a need, just not really my cup of tea though...what in tarnation is an umbrella table and is that a potential with those? to fly around and knock cameras over?
Greg
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Greg Beetham wrote:That's terrible news artington, I hate hearing of cameras getting damaged for no reason, even NEX's are decent enough cameras and fill a need, just not really my cup of tea though...what in tarnation is an umbrella table and is that a potential with those? to fly around and knock cameras over?
Greg
Thanks, Greg, truly irritating! The table in question is a garden table with a large sun-shade umbrella inserted into it. Unfortunately, the wind decided to blow a gust, toppling both the table and tripod, while I had popped indoors momentarily.

Martin
edrice
Oligarch

Unread post by edrice »

artington wrote:Thanks, Greg, truly irritating! The table in question is a garden table with a large sun-shade umbrella inserted into it. Unfortunately, the wind decided to blow a gust, toppling both the table and tripod, while I had popped indoors momentarily.

Martin
Murphy at work...

Hope it ends up not being too expensive.

Ed
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

gio67 wrote:
bakubo wrote:There are many people who said when the NEX 5/3 came out without an accessory EVF that an EVF was useless and I remember one even said that if Sony came out with an optional accessory EVF that he would switch to another brand. All they want or ever want is a rear LCD. There must be lots of disappointment among those folks these days. :lol:
I just got the evf for the nex 5n and I must say, it is twice the camera with the evf than without, it was the first camera I reached for today, I will keep the a580 but will sell the mint a700 that I have and get the nex LA-EA2 lens adaptor for the A mount lenses
Yes, a VF (EVF or OVF) really transforms an LCD-only camera. I have used rear LCDs for 11 years and there are certain situations where they are far better than a VF, but even more situations (for my shooting) where a VF is much better. One example where the LCD is better is when shooting low you can just flip out the LCD, hold the camera close to the ground, and shoot. I recall in 2005 I was in a rainforest in Olympic National Park in Washington on a trail and I wanted a close to the ground shot with my KM 7D. The ground is always wet there and often muddy since it rains so much. All the leaves were covered with water and there was a drizzling rain. The ground was muddy so I decided just to skip the shot since I didn't feel like lying down on the ground. My wife was waiting for me in the car a few hundred meters away and our next stop on the road trip was a restaurant somewhere for lunch. It wasn't such a good shot anyway, so it didn't cause me any anguish to skip it, but a fold-out LCD would have made it a cinch. On that same trail walk I set up my tripod off on the downhill side of the trail. The ground was very uneven so each leg was set to a different length. Once I got it set up I could hardly get in position to look through the OVF without falling down the side of the mountain. A LV LCD would have been great!

In most other situations though a VF, I have found, is much, much better. More stable when handholding, no problems with bright sun, doesn't annoy people and light up your face when shooting in low light or a dark place (theater), is more discreet since people around you aren't looking at what is displayed on your LCD, and is faster in use. I really hate that my Canon S95 has no VF at all. I reluctantly bought it because there really wasn't anything out there anymore that was relatively small, had a VF, and had the basic features I wanted.

It is amusing that there seems to be two arguments that come up on forums all the time:

1. People who want only a rear LCD and no VF (no EVF, no OVF) vs. people who also want some sort of VF (EVF or OVF) along with the rear LCD.
2. People who want an OVF vs. people who want an EVF.

I prefer having a rear LCD and a VF. As for the VF, I like OVFs and EVFs so I get less worked up about that.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

bakubo wrote:
gio67 wrote:
bakubo wrote:
1. People who want only a rear LCD and no VF (no EVF, no OVF) vs. people who also want some sort of VF (EVF or OVF) along with the rear LCD.
2. People who want an OVF vs. people who want an EVF.

I prefer having a rear LCD and a VF. As for the VF, I like OVFs and EVFs so I get less worked up about that.
your post sums it all up perfectly bakubo, wise words as usual,
it's really a matter of personal choice and the nex also makes not a bad versatile system,I never envisage myself without an slr but also I never envisage myself without a really good pocketable camera, the nex is the best I have had by a long long way.
If people don't like the system that's fine,but don't knock the people who do.
ps I hate rice pudding and my brothers love it, it's a funny old world but it sure beats the alternative
Last edited by gio67 on Mon May 28, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Sad to hear that, Martin. I really hope it gets easily fixed in no time.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr