Any a57 users here?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
MarcoC
Initiate

Any a57 users here?

Unread post by MarcoC »

My funds won'r run to an 67 or a77 but the a57 is just about affordable as a potential upgrade to my a700.

Anyone gone via this path, a700 to a57? Any thoughts?

I'm particularly wondering about AF performance as I find my a700 struggles sometimes in continuous AF mode when shooting sports with my 100-300.

Cheers !
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Re: Any a57 users here?

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

I just bought the A57. It's a wonderful camera, that requires time to learn all the features. The A57 Handbook PDF, that comes with the software disk, has a lot more information than you get on the booklets. I was thrilled that Adobe upgraded PS CS5, with Camera RAW 6.7 for the A57. Now I don't need to purchase a higher spec PC , that could handle the new PS CS6. I find that the camera works real well with an older lens, like the Minolta APO 100-300 D. You just need to turn off the front-curtain shutter. I imagine, that eventually, future Alphas won't work with Minolta legacy lenses. I didn't replace any previous Alpha, I just added the A57. I can't part with earlier gems, like the A700. Each has something special that Sony doesn't include in upgrades. Even the KM 7D has something, like the CCD sensor with large pixels, colors, and interval shooting. I reluctantly sold all my Minolta Maxxum film cameras, because of the difficulty and expense required to process and scan films. I'm left with film in the freezer, that I can't shoot or sell.
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
MarcoC
Initiate

Unread post by MarcoC »

Thanks. Does the a57 lack something that the a700 offers then? And how do you find focus speed and accuracy vs. a700?
Fotogeorge wrote:I just bought the A57. It's a wonderful camera, that requires time to learn all the features. The A57 Handbook PDF, that comes with the software disk, has a lot more information than you get on the booklets. I was thrilled that Adobe upgraded PS CS5, with Camera RAW 6.7 for the A57. Now I don't need to purchase a higher spec PC , that could handle the new PS CS6. I find that the camera works real well with an older lens, like the Minolta APO 100-300 D. You just need to turn off the front-curtain shutter. I imagine, that eventually, future Alphas won't work with Minolta legacy lenses. I didn't replace any previous Alpha, I just added the A57. I can't part with earlier gems, like the A700. Each has something special that Sony doesn't include in upgrades. Even the KM 7D has something, like the CCD sensor with large pixels, colors, and interval shooting. I reluctantly sold all my Minolta Maxxum film cameras, because of the difficulty and expense required to process and scan films. I'm left with film in the freezer, that I can't shoot or sell.
Fotogeorge
Heirophant

Unread post by Fotogeorge »

Marco:

The A57 has a lot of new features that I kike, plus it has gimmicks that I will never use. I like the AF zoom and color peaking. I'm guessing that the mount might not be as strong as previous Alphas, because there is a caution in the A57 Handbook, to support a long telephoto lens and camera with two hands. That makes me wonder about using a monopod or tripod. The A700 has a PC sync port and a pentaprism OVG. The A700 has a much better build than the A57. For my type of photography, I don't put much priority in AF speed or the number of frames per second. The A700 just feels good shooting. I'm glad that I can use the same batteries and AC adapter/charger for all my Alpha cameras.

Here is a link on batteries and chargers, that you might find useful:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/suppor ... nfo_id=638

Regards,

George
KM7D, Sony A350, A580, A-700, A57, A65, A5100 , a6500 , & a7iii, plus a bunch of lenses.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

I think A57 is the best camera for the price right now on the market, on any brand. It's only $699 body only, cheaper than the A55 when that camera was launched, but it is very nice upgrade to A55. The EVF is nicer, no ghosting, no overheating in video. The jpegs are better than A55. Better battery life. Electronic first shutter curtain. As for A65, some prefer the 16 MP sensor over the 24 MP sensor in A65. Plus you save $200 over A65. A65 also have OLED EVF and built-in GPS, things that you might not even need.
MarcoC
Initiate

Unread post by MarcoC »

I wish David would chime in - he seems to prefer the older 16MP sensor and his a580 to the newer a77 sensor so I am wondering if he is intending to get an a57 or has shot with one?
OneGuyKs wrote:I think A57 is the best camera for the price right now on the market, on any brand. It's only $699 body only, cheaper than the A55 when that camera was launched, but it is very nice upgrade to A55. The EVF is nicer, no ghosting, no overheating in video. The jpegs are better than A55. Better battery life. Electronic first shutter curtain. As for A65, some prefer the 16 MP sensor over the 24 MP sensor in A65. Plus you save $200 over A65. A65 also have OLED EVF and built-in GPS, things that you might not even need.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

[quote="MarcoC"]I wish David would chime in - he seems to prefer the older 16MP sensor and his a580 to the newer a77 sensor so I am wondering if he is intending to get an a57 or has shot with one?

David did a short review here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/03/13/a57-no-gps/

I also love my A700 handling and feel, something the A580 lacks though agreed its sensor is very good.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
MarcoC
Initiate

Unread post by MarcoC »

Hadn't seen that - wow, David doesn't hide his frustration with Sony there does he?! For my own needs, I don't require GPS.

Just wish Sony would release a camera like the K5 but I know that now they have committed to EVF only this won't happen...

mikeriach wrote:
MarcoC wrote:I wish David would chime in - he seems to prefer the older 16MP sensor and his a580 to the newer a77 sensor so I am wondering if he is intending to get an a57 or has shot with one?

David did a short review here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/03/13/a57-no-gps/

I also love my A700 handling and feel, something the A580 lacks though agreed its sensor is very good.

Mike
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I might consider the A57 because I'm finding the A77 GPS is no better than the A55 and sometimes much worse - latest helper data uploaded, it took half an hour before it got the first reading in Dubrovnik last month. GPS was supposed to be improved with each model...

David
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I might consider the A57 because I'm finding the A77 GPS is no better than the A55 and sometimes much worse - latest helper data uploaded, it took half an hour before it got the first reading in Dubrovnik last month. GPS was supposed to be improved with each model...

David
My impression is that the A77 GPS has improved with the software updates. I do not bother with the assist data. I normally switch off the camera when driving in the countryside (I find that after long periods of inactivity the auto-focus seems to play up for some reason). When I see a shot I get the camera out, switch on, compose and shoot. The first shot will occasionaly not have GPS, but it soon appears. Not a problem.

regards - Peter
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

dewarp wrote: My impression is that the A77 GPS has improved with the software updates. I do not bother with the assist data. I normally switch off the camera when driving in the countryside (I find that after long periods of inactivity the auto-focus seems to play up for some reason). When I see a shot I get the camera out, switch on, compose and shoot. The first shot will occasionaly not have GPS, but it soon appears. Not a problem.

regards - Peter
That's still unacceptable today. By 1990's era GPS may take a full minute to locate it's self if turned off for quite a long time or moved many miles, but my 2005 model will find itself in seconds. Sony should be able to do better then that with today's tech.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Argonaut
Oligarch

Unread post by Argonaut »

In-camera GPS is a tough issue. I found the a55 GPS ineffective unless I left the camera on all the time, and I didn't feel like lugging along a marine-quality deep discharge 50 pound battery :lol:

Then I got an a580, and I always take a P&S along on trips, so I HAD to get an outboard GPS if I wanted consistent, accurate, and all-camera coverage. It worked great for half the trip, and then I left it on the Land Cruiser's hood from which it fell off and is doubtless now inside a Spotted Hyena in the Masai Mara. Luckily for me another guy on the trip also had and outboard GPS and he copied the files for me.

I will buy a wrist-mount GPS for the next trip.
Sony a77ii, RX-100 I; RX10 iii; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; Tamron 17-50; Sony 70-400G; Lightroom 6.2; Photoshop CS5; PicturesToExe 8.0.
OneGuyKs

Unread post by OneGuyKs »

David Kilpatrick wrote:I might consider the A57 because I'm finding the A77 GPS is no better than the A55 and sometimes much worse - latest helper data uploaded, it took half an hour before it got the first reading in Dubrovnik last month. GPS was supposed to be improved with each model...

David
So when is A57 review coming?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

No A57 review, no A37 review likely. I'm not able to obtain Alpha cameras to review unless a third party like the BJP is interested in a report - and no-one is interested in covering these cameras. I've even had my NEX-7 review (bought the camera) turned down by the BJP. They are I think just fed up with more Sony stuff. Instead I get sent stuff like the Nikon D4 and Canon 5D MkIII, Richard (son) has grabbed the D800E and the new Pentax bright yellow thingy.

Until Sony introduces a new full-frame body, with or without a 36 megapixel sensor, the serious photo press has cooled off in a big way.

My next reviews will be the NEX-7, Tamron 18-200mm VC III for NEX, Sigma 12-24mm HSM II, and Adobe CS6.

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Very interesting that the apparent success of Sony with the E mount should cause such concern. It is after all both a stills and a video mount and is not dependent on what happened in the past for its future. The actual fact that these cameras can also mount almost any lens manufactured since the 1920's is a separate issue but one that is liberating to the masses.

Given the number of photographers who have taken a shine to the Nex 5 and 7 and have gone on-line to say so, those who don't want to know about them have really declared themselves redundant. Not that most of the people who buy Nex cameras have even heard of B J P let alone would have read it.

And I haven't mentioned a single conspiracy theory about marketing departments who know who pays the bills.