A65 Time Lapse N00b Questions

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
digitalhecht
Acolyte

A65 Time Lapse N00b Questions

Unread post by digitalhecht »

I recently purchased two different tools for time lapse stills with my A65, an Aputure Remote Timer and a Trigger Trap cord with iOS app, powered by an iPhone 4. I have yet to try either. To save time I was wondering how one or both of these work, vis a vis camera battery power? I had purchased an aftermarket AC power supply for the camera, but stopped using it after a few tests with both intervalometers. (The camera settings were not staying and random things were happening. The settings stayed constant when using the battery.) I refuse to pay $100 for Sony's power supply. So if I stick to a fully charged battery over, say, a 12 hour interval (assuming a still every 20 seconds), will it last? I'd like to iron out the kinks before a planned trip to the Mayan Riviera where I'd like to capture some sunrises/sunsets. Thanks in advance!
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: A65 Time Lapse N00b Questions

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You can work that out easily - you won't get the required 2,160 frames from one battery.

Sony's ACV-Q900AM AC power adaptor with twin charger is well worth the money. I have never regretted buying it. It intelligently charges and maintains batteries well, doing two batteries, in sequence - and also powers the camera.

To do what you want, get Sony's charger/DC unit. It is discontinued but can be tracked down. You will not regret it. Try: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AC-VQ900AM-A ... B000DZKR1E

David
digitalhecht
Acolyte

Many thanks, David. I snagged one (NEW!) on Amazon. They are VERY rare, indeed! I'll report back on how it performs.
alphauser
Acolyte

Unread post by alphauser »

digitalhecht wrote:Many thanks, David. I snagged one (NEW!) on Amazon. They are VERY rare, indeed! I'll report back on how it performs.
The triggertrap APP looks very interesting. Can you tell something about your experiences with it?
digitalhecht
Acolyte

I haven't had a lot of time yet to experiment with it. I will report back when I do. As for the app, I will likely go with the dedicated Aputure remote when I do get to time lapse experiments. I simply can't have my iPhone tied up for that long... This wasn't an issue for me when I bought the TT app and hardware as I was mostly getting it for HDR. However, Triggertrap had to revise the name of the HDR portion to LE (Long Exposure) HDR, as the shutter doesn't trigger any faster than one second! So the LE HDR functionality of that app is only for nighttime HDR shooters and stargazers. A major bummer and omission by the devs early on. maybe this should be a sticky!