Anyone had an A700 converted for IR?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
johnstra
Heirophant

Anyone had an A700 converted for IR?

Unread post by johnstra »

I am thinking of having my Alpha 700 converted for infra-red by ACS in the UK. Has anyone had any experience of this? I used to use Kodak HS IR film and I am missing it. I have tried using an IR filter on the A700 but the resulting 30 sec exposures are too off putting. I have also tried the faux IR photoshop conversions but they are not convincing.
Bob Johnston
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Anyone had an A700 converted for IR?

Unread post by Birma »

No experience of converting, but I'd be very interested how you get on Bob and I'd especially love to see some pics and understand your workflow. When I replace my A700 I would be very interested to get it converted as well.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
johnstra
Heirophant

I will certainly let you know. Might be a bit of a wait though as I want so many things but am running out of cash. I will have to sell something I think.
Bob Johnston
Minolta_Snapper
Acolyte

Unread post by Minolta_Snapper »

Not an A700, but had an A580 converted by ACS. Took about 6 weeks to get it back, but it was fine, and works nicely. No hotspots apparent with the Sony 16-105 lens. I'm right at the bottom of the learning curve though ... it's a whole new black art!
johnstra
Heirophant

Thanks for letting me know about your A580 conversion. It gives me more confidence to blow the necessary £300. The black and white Kodak film did not have an anti-halation backing so the highlights spread or glowed. I used to develop it in Rodinal. The general characteristics were blocked shadows and heavy grain - very effective with pics of stone circles and that sort of thing. This will not happen in digital except possibly for the grain if high iso is used but I am hoping to finish off the effect in Photoshop. It is possible to get false colour with digital IR using a 'channel swopping' technique in Photosop. I have seen a lot of these but I don't much care for it. Monochrome for me.
Bob Johnston
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Unread post by Simmondsphotography »

I would also be interested in IR conversion for my A700. It is still lurking in my cupboard since getting the A77 a year ago now. I use a Hoya IR filter on my Fuji X pro1 and that does quite a nice job after converting to monochrome using Silver Efex Pro 2. No hotspots but Ido see a diffused and subdued large halo effect around the centre of the image and it definitely isn't flare!
Cheers, Dave
A900, A700, A77 and far too many lenses!
johnstra
Heirophant

Dave,

Yes, it does sound like the x pro1 is suffering from a variation of the hot spot problem. As far as I am aware hot spots were never seen on film for any lens. It seems to be something that only occurs with sensors and certain lenses. I have used minolta 20-35mm, 24-35mm and 50mm lenses with Kodak HS IR film. I no longer own any of those and would like to know if my 16-80CZ will be hot spot free.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Johnston
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Thanks Bob

I have seen excellent IR images taken with both the XPro1 and an old Nikon D100 converted to IR and both were exhibition quality but then both photographers are rather more expert at post processing than I am or will ever be!! I suspect that is the answer with digital IR.
Cheers, Dave
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

There's a thread over at Dyxum where people record their results with lenses for IR. From my own experience:

No hot spots with IR filter on A100 and A700:
Sony 18-70
Minolta 24-105
Minolta 35-70

Hot spots with IR filter on A100 and A700:
Tamron 17-50

No hotspots with IR filter on A700
Sony 16-80 (so far, not much use)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Simmondsphotography
Initiate

Birma wrote:There's a thread over at Dyxum where people record their results with lenses for IR. From my own experience:

No hot spots with IR filter on A100 and A700:
Sony 18-70
Minolta 24-105
Minolta 35-70

Hot spots with IR filter on A100 and A700:
Tamron 17-50

No hotspots with IR filter on A700
Sony 16-80 (so far, not much use)
Thank you Birma, that's the sort of reply I was looking for; really useful info!
Cheers, Dave
johnstra
Heirophant

Yes, thanks Birma. Now I know I have a chance with my 16-80. Sorry about the late reply. I have been diverted by life again!

Regards,

Bob
Bob Johnston