'New' a55

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
srr64
Acolyte

'New' a55

Unread post by srr64 »

Hi All,

I just got what i think was a great deal on an almost brand new a55. Looks like it's been used maybe once and in over all great shape.

So I've started playing around with it a little, and was just wondering if there is anything specific I should be looking out for (bad or good) that others have run into.

I'm already a bit surprised at how loud it is when shooting, it's almost quieter when using the 10fps setting. Really that is so far (after about 300 quick pics) my only concern about the camera.

Any input anyone has about the 55 or alphas in general would be great.

Thanks!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: 'New' a55

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Welcome to the forum srr64.
As my son uses one, I know a lot.
First thing, check if you have the latest firmware.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
srr64
Acolyte

Unread post by srr64 »

Dr. Harout,

That was on my todo list for this evening already, but it's now been moved up in the queue! Thanks!
Scott
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Welcome to the forums Scott. I don't have any long time experience with the camera, but what I've seen and heard it's a great camera in a small package.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome from me as well Scott - let's see some pictures from the A55 :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
srr64
Acolyte

Unread post by srr64 »

Hadn’t planned on putting any up until I had a bit more time with it to play, but I’ll throw a few up (but be kind).

Nothing too special about the cat shot- except that was one using the 10 frame burst mode- did a nice job since the cat was walking at a trot (he did not look happy with the paparazzi treatment). This one got resized and croped a bit to make it smaller for upload.

The shot of the black-eyed-susan was in my backyard playing a bit with the settings (ISO: 400, F13, 1/250 shutter). Only resized to 1000px for upload

So far I’m very happy with the camera- only downside is the noise of taking photos, I don’t think I would ever use it at a wedding ceremony or any somber occasion for fear of disruption.
Attachments
DSC05359-2.jpg
DSC05359-2.jpg (234.73 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
DSC05429-2.jpg
DSC05429-2.jpg (214.27 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Well done for posting some shots Scott :) Interesting that the A55 should have such a loud action. I'd have through that with a fixed mirror it would be quieter than a regular dslr. I bet the 10 fps mode is a blast :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
srr64
Acolyte

Unread post by srr64 »

After playing a bit with the a55 outside with normal ambient noise, the loudness of the camera wasn’t so bad. If you were trying to take candid shots of small groups of people indoors I do think the camera would pull focus from the noise it makes, unless it was already quite noisy.

Long term I don’t think this is a huge downside- I’m not a professional so I won’t be doing weddings or anything like that. The 10fps is really cool, I think I need to take it to my next soccer game for some action shots. :D

I'm hoping for good weather and light this weekend for more testing this weekend.