DPreview posts incorrect information on Sony DSLRs?

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
John David Cubit
Heirophant

DPreview posts incorrect information on Sony DSLRs?

Unread post by John David Cubit »

In its recent "Preview" article on the Sony A99, DPreview makes the following statement:
"Sony has featured focus tracking on its cameras for a couple of generations now, but its usefulness has always been undermined by the amount of time taken to engage it. Up until now, you had to press a button to enter focus tracking mode, then press it again to confirm the subject - not really practical with the sorts of moving subject you might with [sic] to track. The A99 makes a huge step forward in this respect, with the option to begin tracking simply by half-pressing the shutter button."
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-slt-a99/4

To focus track on flying birds, rodeo riders, and my hyperactive 2-year old niece, I set my Sony A900 focus mode to "C" (continuous focus). Half-pressing the shutter button instantaneously locks the A900 onto the moving biota. The A900 then automatically focus-tracks the object. The method of activating the A900 tracking (just half-pressing the shutter button) is the same as DPreview describes as the "huge step forward" for the A99, but there is nothing huge here. I have checked my Sony and Friedman manuals for the A900 and can find no method of focus tracking that DPreview describes. Do any of you Sony shooters have any explanation for DPreview's description?

DPreview continues:
"Sony has traditionally struggled against Canon and Nikon when it comes to matching their sophisticated subject tracking AF systems. Decades of catering to the demands of professional sports photographers have helped the big two to refine their focus systems in a way it's hard for Sony to keep up with."
In my personal experience, the A900 focus tracks very well, even under conditions, such as dim light and approaching objects, where Canon and Nikon owners complain of focus tracking problems. Has anyone here seen any actual comparisons of focus-tracking in Sony vs Canon and Nikon? DPreview cites none. Are their statements just prejudiced supposition?

Below are some examples of focus tracking in my Sony A900. I could have never captured these if focus tracking in the A900 was as cumbersome as DPreview describes.

Subjects moving in dim light:

Subject moving toward the camera:

Subjects moving fast and accelerating:

Fast, erratic, multi-directional movement:
Last edited by John David Cubit on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: DPreview posts incorrect information on Sony DSLRs?

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I only grabbed an A900 once for a play so I can't comment on the AF capabilities of that camera. But I will say this I love the shots some damn good ones so post away my friend!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

John David Cubit wrote:In its recent "Preview" article on the Sony A99, DPreview makes the following statement:
"Sony has featured focus tracking on its cameras for a couple of generations now, but its usefulness has always been undermined by the amount of time taken to engage it. Up until now, you had to press a button to enter focus tracking mode, then press it again to confirm the subject - not really practical with the sorts of moving subject you might with [sic] to track. The A99 makes a huge step forward in this respect, with the option to begin tracking simply by half-pressing the shutter button."
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-slt-a99/4

To focus track on flying birds, rodeo riders, and my hyperactive 2-year old niece, I set my Sony A900 focus mode to "C" (continuous focus). Half-pressing the shutter button instantaneously locks the A900 onto the moving biota. The A900 then automatically focus-tracks the object. The method of activating the A900 tracking (just half-pressing the shutter button) is the same as DPreview describes as the "huge step forward" for the A99, but there is nothing huge here. I have checked my Sony and Friedman manuals for the A900 and can find no method of focus tracking that DPreview describes. Do any of you Sony shooters have any explanation for DPreview's description?
The problem had always been the same: ppl at DPReview review a system (Minolta/Sony) that they don't know. So they have no way to exploited it. That's why we have to endure this sort of imprecision.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John David Cubit
Heirophant

Unread post by John David Cubit »

[/quote]
The problem had always been the same: ppl at DPReview review a system (Minolta/Sony) that they don't know. So they have no way to exploited it. That's why we have to endure this sort of imprecision.[/quote]

"Imprecision" Pako? You're too kind.
bfitzgerald

I have to say though I think DPR are quite "pro Sony" at least recently.
I would not take too much notice of their AF comments, purely because they've an awful record of actually accurately picking up problems (missed the K-r/K-5 issues entirely and they were very easy to discover)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

John David Cubit wrote:
The problem had always been the same: ppl at DPReview review a system (Minolta/Sony) that they don't know. So they have no way to exploited it. That's why we have to endure this sort of imprecision.
"Imprecision" Pako? You're too kind.
:oops:
thanks
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

DPR are talking about the subject tracking, the A900 does not have the subject tracking, it's a mode where you can select a subject and the camera will try and maintain focus on that subject. It different to AF-C.
bfitzgerald

Well the sophistication element is the colour metering cell being used to help subject tracking. As far as I am aware on Canon and Nikon are doing this.
A quick play around with the Nikon's I've used shows the AF following around the subject (most times that is) moving automatically to another point to maintain focus.

It's using colour information to lock and track the subject (ie to know where it's moved to) it's not bulletproof..but does appear to work pretty well, but I'm not the best to ask I don't do a lot of action shooting. Minolta did have predictive AF some time ago how well it worked was open to debate on some models, film 7 was very good though the few action shots I did do. For this follow AF to work well you'd need a decent spread and number of AF points.

Focus tracking is mentioned in the A99 preview. Mix in this on sensor phase detect I would imagine it would do well for AF accuracy.
On the other hand if you're good you can follow the action with a single AF point or group of points.
stevecim
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by stevecim »

bfitzgerald wrote: Focus tracking is mentioned in the A99 preview. Mix in this on sensor phase detect I would imagine it would do well for AF accuracy.
On the other hand if you're good you can follow the action with a single AF point or group of points.
True, the theory with subject tracking is , it supposed to handle objects passing in between you and the subject it's tracking, how well this works I have no idea :) IF it worked well, I could use it when shooting wildlife in the bush :)