A37 colour temp.

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

A37 colour temp.

Unread post by classiccameras »

In the Phobographer review of the A37, the reviewer stated that the pictures were too 'warm' for his liking, but after finding an adjustment [ he does not mention what ] hidden in the menu, he adjusted [ he does not mention by how much ] the picture, I guess its colour temp. until he was getting pictures like Kodak Porta which he thought were wonderful and abstracted more from the sensor than the default Jpegs.
He also found that the camera was under exposing so he used +0.7 all the time. My A37 does not under expose. Can any body give me advice on this adjustment.
Thanks
Pete
redsim74
Oligarch

Re: A37 colour temp.

Unread post by redsim74 »

I don't have an A37, but there is likely a +/- adjustment for the white balance settings.

I tend to prefer slightly warmer shots anyway and I'll often have a +1 on my daylight WB setting for my A700.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

There is a global correction option to the AWB. But if you adjust AWB for good in-door colours, the daylight colours turn very badly off. So the usability is limited. And the adjustment steps are too large too...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Are there no kelvin settings on the A37? That would be my first port of call
classiccameras
Viceroy

Yes there is a Kelvin adjustment, but i'm not too sure which way to move the settings up or down and by how much. Are lower numbers colder and higher numbers warmer or the other way round.
Thanks
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
For daylight I'd try around 5500/5400 kelvins and tune as required (ie magenta/green etc etc)

If there was one issue with the SLT model I have noted it's in low kelvin auto WB which is too warm, this is odd as Sony are reading directly off the sensor. Also 2500k needs a bit more range for some energy saving bulbs (I'd increase it to 2000k) Sony really need to nail this or add a "strong correction" to the menu's like other makers have (and the other makers who have..IMO do quite well here)
Metering wise it can be like most cameras, a bit over..or a bit under but seems mostly consistent so far. Needs about a stop more in lower light levels (I use CW metering here works better) It does however not have any of the gross overexposure I had on the D7k (at times over 2 stops overexposed) Like the A200 is can be a bit under if you have lots of white/light shades in the frame, I map the spot metering to the AEL button so that works quite well for me.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Thanks for the info, I adjusted the Kelvin down to 5400 and the over warm images are a tiny bit cooler which I prefer, I might even try a lower number. I will experiment more with the various colour adjustments later. I don't often use auto WB and I use CW metering mostly.

Thanks