Sony Alpha A99 Field Test Report

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony Alpha A99 Field Test Report

Unread post by artington »

pakodominguez wrote:
artington wrote: This is mine, refurbished with a nice burgundy leather skin - the originals were prone to peeling.
U have a back-focus issue...
Probably my eyes, then, since this was focused manually, albeit at fairly wide aperture. Good of you to point it out, though ;)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

artington wrote:
pakodominguez wrote:
artington wrote: This is mine, refurbished with a nice burgundy leather skin - the originals were prone to peeling.
U have a back-focus issue...
Probably my eyes, then, since this was focused manually, albeit at fairly wide aperture. Good of you to point it out, though ;)
I couldn't stop reading the news in the paper... ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I could write a book on back focus problems :mrgreen:
Joe fotosiamo

Unread post by Joe fotosiamo »

Hey guys, in case you haven't checked it out, I posted my extensive hands-on field review of the Sony A99 on SLR Lounge with full-resolution images:

http://www.slrlounge.com/extensive-hand ... e-sony-a99

I also released an ISO studio test, too:

http://www.slrlounge.com/the-sony-a99-i ... e-examples

Let me know what you think!
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Joe fotosiamo wrote:Hey guys, in case you haven't checked it out, I posted my extensive hands-on field review of the Sony A99 on SLR Lounge with full-resolution images:

I am having NO problems focusing here....
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Joe fotosiamo wrote:Hey guys, in case you haven't checked it out, I posted my extensive hands-on field review of the Sony A99 on SLR Lounge with full-resolution images:

I think a hands on test of that would get me divorce papers served!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:

I am having NO problems focusing here....
Ah! malin...
Sorry, it came in French (http://www.wordreference.com/fren/malin)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Sony is looking to establish a strong equivalent to the Canon Professional Service...

Hard to believe...
The texture details of the rock are maintained despite the medium-strength AA filter on the A99. It won’t get you the kind of landscape detail as a Nikon D800/800E or medium format cameras, but for most people, the detail available should suffice.

I'm still trying to understand if this is a pro or a con. The author clearly shows his lack of knowledge on the Minolta/Sony lens system.
Last edited by pakodominguez on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pako
------------
Joe fotosiamo

Unread post by Joe fotosiamo »

pakodominguez wrote:
Sony is looking to establish a strong equivalent to the Canon Professional Service...

Hard to believe...
The model that Sony is going to use is their pro-level service with the film & television industry, since their broadcast and cinema cameras are used in variety of film, shows, and events, including for broadcasting the NFL games.

Keep your fingers crossed!
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

pakodominguez wrote:The texture details of the rock are maintained despite the medium-strength AA filter on the A99. It won’t get you the kind of landscape detail as a Nikon D800/800E or medium format cameras, but for most people, the detail available should suffice.
I'm still trying to understand if this is a pro or a con.
It's neither. The problem is that 24Mp FF absolutely requires the use of rather strong LPF. I recall reading somewhere that 24Mp was chosen to maintain the 60pHD capability, that is still problematic with 36Mp.

Judging by the samples I saw, it seems the a99 LPF is about as strong as those found in a900/700. And that was a very good LPF providing what is called a 'critical' LPF response - means the transfer function is free of spikes near the cut-off frequency while having a maximum possible suppression for undesired higher frequencies. But that old LPF had a problem rendering thin high-contrast detail, like naked twigs against bright skies; here the a900/700 LPF was creating a lot of false colour and what is called 'colour substitution' - those thin twigs were getting blue-green false colour and also the sky areas close to them were getting deeper blue-green colouring.
Now looking into the a99 samples available I don't see any trace of 'colour substitution' - that's very good, especially for the landscape scenes. And, btw, D800/E both often show some rather nasty colour substitution artifacts.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I'm not sure how many A99 cameras that Sony are going to sell between now and Christmas without the rumoured price cuts.

Sony Australia is advertising deliveries from 23 October at AUD 2990 although one dealer is advertising AUD 2890. Digital Rev in Hong Kong is advertising the A99 for Euro 3195.97 or AUD 3099 BUT is also advertising the Canon EOS 5D M3 for AUD 3099, the Nikon D600 for AUD 2144 and the D800 for AUD 2999. Now the A99 is a better camera than the D600 to me and I would be willing to pay about $400 more for it.But now I can buy the D800 for just about the same price.

Must admit that some of my Nikon lenses are not up to 36 MP but the temptation is there.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

johnstra wrote:Well, my slightly tongue in cheek comment certainly got some answers! Just a little note from the past. Did anyone own a Minolta XD7? I think it was called the XD11 outside of the UK. What a beautiful little jewel of a camera that was. I wore out my first one, and rather than getting it fixed I bought another one secondhand. I wish I had kept it even though I don't use film now. I think it was the best slr that Minolta ever made.

Cheers
I did...XG2, XD7, X500 were my MD cameras. The XD7 was a lovely camera, slim but fully featured.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

peterottaway wrote:I'm not sure how many A99 cameras that Sony are going to sell between now and Christmas without the rumoured price cuts.
Not many..sure some will jump on it, but in the market it needs a very hefty price cut to have any impact. I see nothing wrong with the IQ looks fine to me as it should do. I did see one youtube review saying the build was a cut above bodies like the D600..ok fine. I just get the feeling if Sony want to "steal" users from other makers they're going to have to give people a reason to look at them (bar video folks) and one way is "price" Let's be blunt here too, this is way too pricey for most A mount users to even consider it, unless they have a "budget SLT" model in the works that is.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Early 2013 a modified A65 body with FF sensor ?

I may think the A99 is up to $500 overpriced but then again I think anyone paying more for a Canon 5 ( down ? to $3099 ) than an A99 is being taken for a ride too.

Nikon is also up to its old tricks with despec'd AF speed for the D600 which was the reason I was forced to get rid of my D90 after a few weeks. See Kai at Digital Rev version of Fight Club between the EOS 5, D800 and D600.
bfitzgerald

I saw that video he looked frustrated with the D600. I've not tried on and frankly after my own Nikon experiences for AF I doubt I want to. On paper though it's going to sell and pretty big. The AF is supposed to have f8 AF sensors. Having used the D90 and D7000 the D90 was actually faster to lock in low light conditions..where the D7000 hunted more. Not that this was a major issue..not considering the back focus issues rather minor!

Make no doubts about it though cut down AF or bits here and there Nikon will sell a ton of D600's even at their current price. Canon 6d again not around right now so the only maker selling FF in any serious quantities for "mere mortals" is Nikon.