Sony Alpha A99 Field Test Report

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Sony Alpha A99 Field Test Report

Unread post by artington »

johnstra wrote:
What is this stuff about lack of lenses? What possible lens would you want that Sony do not provide? Except for the tilt-shift I admit.
How anout a 70-200/4? This is one of the most handy lenses and Canon do a marvellous one. And a decent 24-105, again along the lines of Canon's, not the indifferent re-branded Minolta version which was discontinued a few years ago.
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

Neither the Canon 24-105 or the Nikon 24-120 is exactly a top performing lens either. Although usable the Nikon is rather expensive for what it delivers. It would be very nice to have a whole set of f4 lenses from 16-35, 24-70 up to a 300mm and a 400 / 4.5 but could they ever be a priority item ?

Just look at the prices of a number of Sigma and Tamron f2.8 lenses and ask whether Sony can create these lenses quickly and at a comparable price. Apart from Sony being a much more of a electronics company, there are more pressing requirements.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

johnstra wrote:I don't think that things were that different in the days of film. What is now seen as a mature technology was certainly not in the 70s and 80s. No one I know has ever hung on to a camera for 20 years, unless it was in a cupboard collecting dust. The average cycle time was probably around five years. If it went to twenty years I don't think that any company could afford to make them. Having said that no one is forcing us to replace what we have. I have an A77 but if I still had to use my A700 I would not be that upset.
My XGM/X700/X570/X370/SRT201...etc. etc.. were semi-retired in 2008 when I went digital. They all still work today, and I've taken tens of thousands of pictures with them over the years, starting in 1981. And although in a cupboard collecting dust, my Dad's Argus C3 still takes fine pictures, considering the limits of the lens. So, to say that 5 years is the average, well, then I guess I'm way above average!

I've had 8 SR/MD mount bodies that I can recall, and I still have 7, having given one of my XGMs to a friend from Brazil. And I still have my MF and LF cameras, too. I've had multiple flashes, more lenses than I can remember, winders, and what-nots that attach to cameras, and my cameras were, at one time my burial guarantee. (i.e., I told my sister to sell my camera gear to pay for my burial, being single then).

So, for someone like me, who is willing to invest heavily in a system, the camera companies can continue to make money off of me by offering me small improvements (in bodies and lenses) and more things that I need to make my photography better and more enjoyable. The tech of 1981 and the XGM, with TTL flash metering, was all I ever needed.

Frankly, I would have jumped at an a580 IF it would have had GPS, since I've had so many of my pictures taken in various parts of the world that I can't even remember them all, but Sony choose not to put it in to have an extra goodie to entice people over to the EVF of the a55. Camera companies used to be more like car companies - they'll sell to new users, to those who wear out their old models or just want an upgrade, but they know that many are like Ford truck buys, buy what I need, and use it till it can't be fixed no more.

Now they get a new lease on life, as they're selling a technology that's rapidly changing - digital sensors - and get to make lots more money by improving that enough to make us want the updates. Previously they only updated things like faster shutter speeds, better metering, or more durable bodies, but such incremental updates weren't too big of a draw, and incremental updates still are not - DK is sticking with the a900 over the a99, as there is not enough advantage in the sensor to offset the lack of OVF and the problems that creates in the studio.

Soon, camera tech will plateau again, and they'll be back to making replacements and things for people starting in photography. There will always be 'gimmicks' added, like portrait mode or night scene mode, but those are just camera setting we're already used to doing, and most advanced photographers will hardly buy a new body because of it. The long and short of it is, I buy camera systems, not electronic devices, and that's what I want a camera company to produce.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
artington
Imperial Ambassador

artington wrote:
johnstra wrote:
What is this stuff about lack of lenses? What possible lens would you want that Sony do not provide? Except for the tilt-shift I admit.
How anout a 70-200/4? This is one of the most handy lenses and Canon do a marvellous one. And a decent 24-105, again along the lines of Canon's, not the indifferent re-branded Minolta version which was discontinued a few years ago.
And now Nikon may be about to launch a 70-200/4. Come on Sony

Source: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/10/17/nik ... taPixel%29
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'd take a new Beercan. Bigger focus ring please, but make sure it keeps the internal zoom. It could be plastic with SAM, don't mind :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Nikon have to launch a 70-200mm f4. Canon have 4 lenses in this range to cover all wallets (ie IS versions and non IS ones)
I think it's overdue for A mount too...long overdue
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Too many lenses are long overdue from Sony. They need to look at all those old Minolta lens designs they have and update them a bit for digital, then crank them out again. I know some of them can't be made the same way because of stupid restrictions on using certain elements, but other lens designers have gotten around that. Sony just doesn't get it!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

If Sony is going to play in 24 plus high end enthusiast / semi pro / pro market then it needs something like the following sooner rather than later

SSM 85
SSM 135
SSM 50 macro
SSM 100 macro
and for something a little out of the ordinary at a later date a 60 - 150 macro zoom

CZ 18
CZ 28
CZ 35
and then finish of with the CZ 21 and CZ 15

A f 4.0 range would be something to be contracted out. From my point of view getting out a 24 MB FF version of the A65 is more important to Sony, and at the lower price point I think they would have to accept that many of the lens sales would go to Sigma, Tamron and Tokina (if they decide to play).
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

peterottaway wrote:If Sony is going to play in 24 plus high end enthusiast / semi pro / pro market then it needs something like the following sooner rather than later

SSM 85
SSM 135
SSM 50 macro
SSM 100 macro
and for something a little out of the ordinary at a later date a 60 - 150 macro zoom

CZ 18
CZ 28
CZ 35
and then finish of with the CZ 21 and CZ 15

A f 4.0 range would be something to be contracted out. From my point of view getting out a 24 MB FF version of the A65 is more important to Sony, and at the lower price point I think they would have to accept that many of the lens sales would go to Sigma, Tamron and Tokina (if they decide to play).

:roll: May I vote for you... :lol:
Absolutely right. Let Sony add me to a mandatory buyer list for the macros, specially if they are makro-planars (OK, time to wake up...)
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

At about $2000 street price for a manual focus Makro 100 I think I will have to lower my expectations as well. At about $1400 for the 24mm CZ and assuming a similar price for some of the others on my list I can just about buy a new lens each year - if I don't indulge myself on anything else. But such lenses are very valuable PR items and would certainly provide an answer the question why should I go for Sony instead of updating my Canikon FF.

Even if CZ do get round to producing a range of AF lenses for Canon and Nikon if Sony can get there 2 or 3 years earlier then they have an advantage. However this has been said before and Sony / CZ have not exactly been quick off the mark in producing these lenses.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Well, my slightly tongue in cheek comment certainly got some answers! Just a little note from the past. Did anyone own a Minolta XD7? I think it was called the XD11 outside of the UK. What a beautiful little jewel of a camera that was. I wore out my first one, and rather than getting it fixed I bought another one secondhand. I wish I had kept it even though I don't use film now. I think it was the best slr that Minolta ever made.

Cheers
Bob Johnston
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

johnstra wrote:Well, my slightly tongue in cheek comment certainly got some answers! Just a little note from the past. Did anyone own a Minolta XD7? I think it was called the XD11 outside of the UK. What a beautiful little jewel of a camera that was. I wore out my first one, and rather than getting it fixed I bought another one secondhand. I wish I had kept it even though I don't use film now. I think it was the best slr that Minolta ever made.

Cheers
My XD 7 actually outlasted my 8000i and my 7xi cameras.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

johnstra wrote:Well, my slightly tongue in cheek comment certainly got some answers! Just a little note from the past. Did anyone own a Minolta XD7? I think it was called the XD11 outside of the UK. What a beautiful little jewel of a camera that was. I wore out my first one, and rather than getting it fixed I bought another one secondhand. I wish I had kept it even though I don't use film now. I think it was the best slr that Minolta ever made.

Cheers
This is mine, refurbished with a nice burgundy leather skin - the originals were prone to peeling.
Attachments
_DSC0330.jpg
(190.97 KiB) Downloaded 2561 times
_DSC0331.jpg
(239.71 KiB) Downloaded 2561 times
_DSC0332.jpg
(233.42 KiB) Downloaded 2561 times
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

The XD-7 was the best MF camera I ever owned. The only thing it needed was a spot or partial meter.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

artington wrote: This is mine, refurbished with a nice burgundy leather skin - the originals were prone to peeling.
U have a back-focus issue...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;