two questions re A77

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bluemoo73
Acolyte

two questions re A77

Unread post by bluemoo73 »

hi guys

I have a minolta 7D and am looking to upgrade to A77

I have a couple of questions

1. How does the A77 perform on long exposures (30 secs to 5 mins)? does the dreaded pink bleeding occur on edge of the sensor??

2. also I have a singh ray var ND filter (which essentially is two polarizers) will there be any issue with SLT of the A77, blotchy skies, big X, uneven darkness?

thanks so much guys

cheers
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: two questions re A77

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Can't say much on your first question.
You can use at ease all your filters on the a77. I haven't encountered any issue yet with polarizers or ND filters.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bluemoo73
Acolyte

Thanks Doc

i love long exposures and had heard that the SLts dont like filters so was a bit nervous

cheers
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

I can help a little on this one. I had a 7D. The 7D had a ccd which suffered with something called 'amplifier glow'. The ccd would get hot and that would cause the dreaded purple haze - as sung about by Hendrix :P The CMOS sensor in the A77 will not suffer in the same way. Indeed, it is always on. However to give you a definitive answer I will have to try it as I have not exposed for more than about 5secs so far. Watch this space as they say.

I have had no problems with a circular polariser. I do have a variable ND filter. It was a cheap one bought from ebay. It gives the dark x on any lens wider than about 16mm. It does this on my A700 too. The wider the lens the sooner the x appears as you increase the density. I believe that this will happen with any camera although I don't know why. I expect David could enlighten us.

Bob
Bob Johnston
bluemoo73
Acolyte

thanks for your replies

have a couple more questions

I have a sigma 10-20mm bought about 5 years ago and a sigma 100-300m EX f4 bought about 7 years ago, I read somewhere that sigmas have issues with SLTs, would these lens have issues with the A77
Also I have a Minolta 28-75mm 2.8, there should be a problem with it should there??
cheers
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

With Sigma the basic answer is maybe or maybe not it can depend on the lens and the actual camera model as Sigma reverse engineered firstly Minolta and then Sony. However Sigma do have a good reputation for re chipping their lenses where possible. This is a case of actually having to put your lenses on an actual A77 body and trying them.

I have the Minolta 28-75 lens and it has worked on a Sony A700, A77, A33 and A850.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Email the serial numbers to your nearest Sigma service centre and they may be able to confirm whether they will work.
Also Pirate on this forum has a 100-300 so may be able to advise.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Any pre- DG lenses cannot be rechipped. I looked into this when considering the a55 18 months ago.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....