a99 Focus issues

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Steveb

a99 Focus issues

Unread post by Steveb »

Hello all,
Just bought the a99 after using the 850 for 2 years! I love so much about the camera so far, especially shooting wedding, I have to say the OVF comes in very handy to be able to shape the scene on the fly; however this is where I need some help. In the bright light using my zeiss 24-70 and 85 at times it had a hard time focusing, it was hunting and hunting which brought alarm to me. It was in the day time, so why was it hunting.

If anyone can help me with the proper settings that would be grand. I'm still trying to figure out what AF I should have it on.

And for some reason during the reception, a very low light, a matrix screen just popped onto the screen with a -2 and when I turned the camera back on it was gone!@#$ What is that all about.
I did put it continues to snap bride and groom down the isle, it wasn't all that bad..

Finally at the end of the wedding the photos were amazing, but I would love to know what everyone thinks about my problems. It may just be me, but for a change I have been reading the manual to see what I can do to help smooth things out
Attachments
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-800.jpg
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-800.jpg (115.11 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-1255.jpg
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-1255.jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-1014.jpg
121229_Nick_Jessica_Mill_Valley-1014.jpg (65.33 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: a99 Focus issues

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hi and welcome to the forum, I don’t own an A99 so I can’t be of much help. I don’t know where DK is at the moment he might be away somewhere, he has just done a review on the A99 so he might have some idea about the problem perhaps.
Greg
Steveb

Unread post by Steveb »

Yes, he was kind enough to lend some info prior to my wedding yesterday, so I was hoping to gain some new ideas...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Can't help in that my A99 has never had any problems this way - but perhaps you are using the green auto setting? It's very intelligent, but it can change focus modes and areas. I use centre zone or three-zone focus on the A99 and A77. I have a problem with my handling constantly setting the focus to the right hand zone, so most of the time, I stick just to centre spot focus. This always does what I want.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

May I do a wide guess?
I assume you saw that -2 popping with the Zeiss 24-70. And I assume that is normal, as the camera's computer adjusted the micro calibration automatically (or should it be "calibrated the micro adjustment"?), using OS-PDAF and its regular one (the Zeiss 24-70 is a dedicated lens for the a99).
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr