getting new password after forgetting old one

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

getting new password after forgetting old one

Unread post by gio67 »

in my opinion the security procedure on this forum outweighs even the biggest banks , it seems way over the top for a photography forum,
The passwords are the same, they must have upper case, lower case ,numbers and symbols ,what are we registering for MI6 or the CIA.Then we have the security questions.
anybody else found this.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: getting new password after forgetting old one

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

gio67 wrote:...what are we registering for MI6 or the CIA..
KGB :twisted: :twisted:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

Dr. Harout wrote:
gio67 wrote:...what are we registering for MI6 or the CIA..
KGB :twisted: :twisted:
oops ! , are they still about, sssshhhh
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

gio67 wrote:in my opinion the security procedure on this forum outweighs even the biggest banks , it seems way over the top for a photography forum,
The passwords are the same, they must have upper case, lower case ,numbers and symbols ,what are we registering for MI6 or the CIA.Then we have the security questions.
anybody else found this.
I think you're a tad over critical, this is more or less the same for all forums that I subscribe to not only PCA. I don't think David has any control over the security procedure.

This is a great place for chat and info.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If anyone wants to have my job of removing literally hundreds of spam registrants - in with whom will be a few genuine applications to join - then I can relax the present password and Captcha question. I've tried many different levels, and for a while they keep the paid spammers away. Then someone out there cracks the 'code' - last time, they must have circulated the answers to my security questions - and I am flooded again.

This is also why gmail addresses can't be used, as nearly all these spammers are gmail (or spoofing gmail).

I have thought of just allowing them to register, but at a rate of around six per half hour on the last attack, they swamp the genuine registrations which I need to activate - or, even worse, they manage to get through to an activation request, in which case they also swamp my email.

The reason for this is the overall traffic at photoclubalpha, it's identified as a target site and paid forum spammers are directed to it. I do not know if they are programs being run by people, or real people.

David
gio67
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by gio67 »

mikeriach wrote:
gio67 wrote:in my opinion the security procedure on this forum outweighs even the biggest banks , it seems way over the top for a photography forum,
anybody else found this.
I think you're a tad over critical, this is more or less the same for all forums that I subscribe to not only PCA. I don't think David has any control over the security procedure.

This is a great place for chat and info.

Mike
it's called tongue in cheek, Mike, you need to lighten up a wee bit