Chromasia review of the a99

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jeep1
Initiate

Chromasia review of the a99

Unread post by jeep1 »

Number one photoblogger David Nightingale seems impressed with the A99 see
http://www.chromasia.com/blog/archive/1211141737.php
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Chromasia review of the a99

Unread post by Birma »

Seems a smart move by Sony in getting some Pros to convert for the price of a body and a couple of lenses. Pity they can't dash some freebies around some of the pros and experts here :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Birma wrote:Seems a smart move by Sony in getting some Pros to convert for the price of a body and a couple of lenses. Pity they can't dash some freebies around some of the pros and experts here :)
Here, here. DK more than deserves the opportunity given his historical involvement with M, KM and Sony.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's nothing new, that's exactly how I started with Minolta - offered a camera body with 50mm and two other lenses in return for the rights to several images (used on Minolta lens boxes and for their calendar) which I had taken on the camera during testing - plus a some articles for the club magazine in the UK.

Sony has certainly given equipment to several of the photographers I know in return for personal appearances at launches and events, usually with a good presentation of their test work. Duncan McEwan did this for the A900 launch.

It made sense for Minolta to help out a struggling 22-year-old who couldn't afford ever to have thought about buying what was then very expensive kit. But that was down their exceptional UK PR man. Sony seem to go more for establishment figures and for a while, favoured rather mediocre members of Magnum (no idea why).

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I've no problems with the write up, but 400-500 shots?
I'd struggle to get that with the A57 (which currently has the best rating on the SLT models for shots per charge)

All the makers offload gear to photographers to buy loyalty and blog write up's etc, which is fine. I just find it a bit predictable and rather tedious (ie not that convincing)
I personally don't think it is appropriate to be talking about a specific maker on your photo website/blog, recently Emily Tebbetts (Taylor Swift thing) came under a LOT of fire (not from me but in general) on her blog from Canon users!

Some of the Artisans from Sony are good, and some are not really to my taste (such as Me Ra Koh)
How much impact these folks have overall is probably not that much in the greater scheme of things.

Probably the most successful (least in the UK) advertising wise were the very well known Olympus - David Bailey adverts
I know social media has changed since then where on-line presence has a lot more appeal, it might work for some folks but I've long outgrown brand promotion blogs in exchange for gear.