Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Wes Gibbon
Oligarch

Re: Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Unread post by Wes Gibbon »

alphaomega wrote:A thoroughly disconcerting story told by Barry fitzgerald about his A57. Personally I have not had a similar problem with Sony. If that happened I am lucky in having cover in that I have A580/550, NEX-6/5N and if my RX100 went out of action the NEX-6 with 16-50 could cover although less compact. Canon cameras look good and price competitive at the moment. My recommendation is that a spare SLT camera would probably be cheaper than a complete conversion to Canon.
I feel it's always worth budgeting for a back-up body if you can. I was lucky to get an A850+28-75 for a grand (thank you Jessops - oh, sorry, you're not listening any more!). in case my A900 packs up. Maybe a used A100 (you should be able to get one for £100 on Ebay these days).
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

bfitzgerald wrote: Having tried twice to change mounts I think the best way to do it is sell everything all gone.
Quite logical that is.

But why don't you buy min of two bodies, that's if there's a dependence consideration?

And then, just have them retailers all lined up and saluting, would you please!?

I have a nasty habit telling them that a thing they sell to me is their responsibility forever. And they just say 'Aye-Aye-Sir!' of sorts, no matter whichever country I am at.
And I never told them I was some 'agorabasta' of some obscure fame. I just feel that I'm the lord there, and I make them feel likewise.
But in case they don't obey, I simply carry my business outta there. That happens at times, but not so often it does.

P.S. In case that was not quite clear - I don't trust those 'big names' at all, I just cover my bases myself while dealing with them. And I don't have any better expectations; and neither should you - but that's up to your personal discretion, for sure...
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I'm ok for backup as I have 2 x 5d's which are fine for many tasks (and I'm so used to them by now no surprises either)

I got this today after I voiced some concerns about the repair failure and the length of time

Dear Mr Fitzgerald

Thank you for your patience.

In communication with our management department, we would like to offer you goodwill of a 2 month extended guarantee to cover the time that the camera spent at the repair.
We are looking forward to your kind approval.

Yours Sincerely,

Maha

I have not yet responded, but it's hardly a great gesture IMO
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I guess it’s too soon for any news as to what’s happening with your body Barry, it’s only been a week since you gave it back to the dealer.
It’s a wonder they can’t replace it for you, it hasn’t been discontinued here as yet, (some hot prices $749 for the twin lens kit, for example, but warranty might be chancy with those online shops) I’m not sure how the availability is in your area but one would think they could get one if they wanted too surely.
Greg
Ps I’d say at a guess the high frame count (8000 odd) you had when it came back was due to the repair centre resetting the frame count with one of their well-used cards perhaps.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Barry

I would demand a new body, either a A57 or the new A58. That is the least they could do for all the inconvenience they have caused you. Stuff the extra warranty time, stick it on facebook for the world to see. I wonder how Canikon would have dealt with a situation like this.
I don't think I would ever be happy with that camera again if it was mine.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Barry,

My take on the matter is that a big corp is a totally and completely inanimate thing. So when put into your shoes I'd just tell them what are my preferences, asking them to act up to those.

But then again, the retailer that sold you the item has to bear their share of responsibility - they've got your money, and it was them who put you into the warranty contract with the manu by mediation.
bfitzgerald

I think I'm wasting my time trying to talk to Sony esp after that rather mean offer. I will write a letter to them to express my "disappointment" (tad stronger than that I would say) As for the offer of extending the warranty I think that's simply not enough, and smacks of penny pinching (I'm still out of pocket for postage and phone calls) Talk about offer the bare minimum and even 2 months won't cover the combined time away (6.5 weeks first repair, not likely to see it for a few weeks)

In about 10 days I will go back to the retailer and see what's happening. The onus is now on them to solve this and my strategy is
1: If the repair takes too long (ie big delays again) I will push for a refund or a replacement
2: If Sony have not replaced the sensor/fixed the issue properly then again as above
3: I'll be checking over it very thoroughly if it does arrive back, the camera is spotless and I'm not being fobbed off if it's not been done properly.

I think Sony are just completely indifferent to customers they just don't really "get it" Worse they've ended up costing themselves more money (failed first repair, courier costs, spare parts costs/time to fix it etc, picking up the camera from the retailer, and yet another repair) They should have just replaced it at the start. Now they've probably spent more on all that then sending out a new body would have cost!

They don't seem to have a mechanism where things kick in. Over 6 weeks isn't acceptable and they should have done something to sort it out sooner, worse they didn't even fix the main problem. I can't come to any other conclusion than they simply don't really value customers or consider their needs. I don't think doing a "Gordon Ramsay" will make any difference. I will probably have better luck with the retailer.

I have replied to the email and rejected their offer saying it goes nowhere near far enough in compensating me for the failed repair and unacceptable delays. Further communication with Sony support is probably a complete waste of time, they say sorry and nothing happens nobody makes a decision to sort things out. I'm not surprised they're struggling and laying off staff, if you don't value your customer you are asking to lose business.

The scary thing is some folks were talking about a "pro level" support from Sony a few years back. Frankly they don't even have the most basic and simple support I would expect from any maker. This is supposed to be a major electronics company, not a garden shed operation. If I compare this experience to Metz it's a stark reminder of how superior customer support encouraged brand loyalty. Metz were superb and on the ball, Sony are asleep and entirely uninterested in their customers.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Barry

Surely your loyalty to Sony has now been tested to the limit and I would be surprised if you still had any left.
My guess is, you are not going to get any where with your complaints, so cut and run mate.

Pete
bfitzgerald

At the moment I can't cut and run it would require too much investment in another maker. Over the mid term it is quite likely that I might look at something else. It certainly won't be Nikon though with their awful AF.

You are right I won't get anywhere trying to complain, but I will make sure I get this sorted out to my satisfaction via the retailer.
I never had any loyalty to Sony it was simply economics I have a good system and the Alpha bodies are simply a place to put my Minolta and Tamron lenses, nothing more.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Barry

If your lively hood was reliant on photography and your tool of the trade was out of action for an excessivly long time with the repairers, then they owe you for lost earnings and should have given you another body.

What is your main concern with Nikon auto focus, I have a D5100 which seems OK, but I have not tested it in all modes. Is it a problem on specific models or right across the range.

Pete
bfitzgerald

I have 2 spare 5d's which amazingly can work fine for me for some or many tasks. I was toying with adding something else but not another SLT. They won't owe me for lost earning as I've not had much going on (things heat up summer time for me)
D7000 had such inconsistent AF that I could not tolerate it, really it was that bad. (and I had 2 of them at one point) take 10 shots 3/4 would be fine,3/4 way off,and a few a bit off. Variation in AF was the issue.

Problem is if your keeper shot was in the 3/4 miss shots. Every Nikon body I had (5 in total) had AF issues and looking at the chatter online I think it's a problem extending across more than a few models, with early reports of some D7100's having issues too.
classiccameras
Viceroy

I have been meaning to ask you about the 5D, I see its only 6mp, but how does its picture quality, noise levels and dynamic range compare. CCD sensors had got a good reputation for colour rendition, I know the Kodak CCD sensors in early Olympus were very well thought of especially for Jpeg.
I'm wondering if the Sony A100 [Same body] is a better performer because its 10mp?
I have seen 3-5D's with 18-70 kit lenses for £99 in 'fair' condition and one at £169 in very good condition with 18-70 kit lens. Frankly, I don't need the kit lenses, just a body which I'm sure they will do a deal on.
90% of my work is landscape with the remaining 10% general photography.

Thanks
bfitzgerald

The 5d is decent enough, not the fastest kid on the block but still capable enough in the right hands. ISO 1600 not a problem, it gets a bit hit and miss above that though.
The newer cameras are faster no question for AF and general operation, and will be comfortable to ISO 3200 if you need that lower light ability, at a push a bit more

The latest response from Sony
Dear Mr Fitzgerald

Thank you for your e-mail that has been passed to me as a complaint. In response to your enquiry having considered your case, I can confirm that Sony United Kingdom is not prepared to offer any more than the Two month warranty as goodwill.

I am sorry that on this occasion we cannot be of direct help and apologise for any further disappointment that this reply may cause.

Yours sincerely

Marwa Fathy
Customer Information Centre
SONY EUROPE LIMITED
Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited.
A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT130XW
Registered company number: 2422874

Sadly I've had to resort to quoting consumer rights and the sale of goods act.
If they expect this to fizzle out they have unfortunately picked the wrong customer to mess around with
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

Barry, I back you all the way but unfortunately I've no clout with Sony even with my extensive collection of their gear. I'm appalled at their complete lack of understanding of even basic customer service and dread ever having an issue in the future.

Mike

PS can we start a petition?
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

Ive hit Sony USA, UK and Eire on facebook so the ball is rolling. Using my "personal" facebook as I don't want it to interfere with my business one.
Let's see if a bit of oh dear PR can't change their minds.

I really can't see how they can let this saga drag on, but I'd not be shocked if they just continue as they have done, apology emails and no action. You would imagine they would have a system in place to make sure things like this don't happen, evidently not.