Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony Support/Service - My opinion

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Greg it turns up on raw and jpeg, and is visible on the LCD/EVF before you take the photo too. So I think it's def not processing that's the problem.
It is true to say in most shooting situations you won't see it. But in strong back-lighting it's going to cause a headache.

If Sony say they've replaced the sensor imaging unit then the issue is still there, and nope it's not satisfactory IMO. Maybe I should have picked up an A700 or A580 off ebay, it would likely have been a lot less hassle!
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Hmmm okey doky it was a good theory while it lasted, btw exactly what is going on in the camera when it generates a rear screen image, presumably before the shot and afterwards, obviously they aren’t displaying an ARW file either.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Right well I actually have a somewhat interesting update.
On Friday Mr McDonald called me in person on my mobile. He expressed regret about how things have been handled, and apologised (in a sincere way) He agreed that things should never have been allowed to get to this stage, and didn't try to make any excuses about it either. I did tell him I was extremely frustrated at the entire saga which dragged on to an almost ridiculous point and he said he wished he had been notified sooner about this so that he could have stepped in to deal with the matter.

He told me Sony are now offering me a brand new camera, with...a full 12 month warranty and that they hope to get it to me by the end of next week (subject to stock) I still have the battery from the first body, and he said this will be a retail packaged camera..thus I will likely have an extra battery as a "gesture" from Sony as well. I said this was acceptable as compensation for the drama and inconvenience.

He is to ring me on Monday to confirm this. I have said I will update any threads and posts I've made to reflect this change of heart (ie deal with the matter) But I will express my concerns as to how this came to be in the first place, and my worries about the procedures and system Sony use for repairs and dealing with customer issues. Reading between the lines, it is quite obvious that my public postings on forums (and hitting them on many facebook sites- at least 20+) did eventually get the message through.

How this leaves me feeling; is at the moment uncertain (bit worried it happened at all being honest esp the delays) But at least it looks like things have eventually panned out, it took an awful lot of postings and effort though
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this puts an end to your marathon experience.
It still concerns me that Sony seem so inept at dealing with genuine issues.
They have shown their colours high on the mast.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
bfitzgerald

Mike you can be certain I'm going to mention how this came about and why Sony does not appear to have a mechanism in place to stop something like this from happening. It is very worrying and no simply not good enough. This was a pretty easy "let's replace" case from about 4 weeks onwards and it's been a battle fought...but customers should not need to have to resort to campaigns just to get their case looked at properly.

I have major concerns on this and it has left a pretty bad taste in the mouth I will be honest. At this point I just want a working camera back. It's been fun using the 2 5d's and shown me they are still decent enough in some ways, but I didn't shell out cash for a Sony camera to spend more time in repair then in my hands. I really hope this never happens to anyone, it is ultra frustrating for the end user and a sign that Sony really do need to sort their customer support out and fast
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

What I'm interested in is: does the new camera have the same issue. I hope not for your sake and sanity Barry.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

I concur with Bary, I wonder if this a a design fault on the A57 or an isolated problem that you were very unfortunate to experience. For the sake of all A57 users. I hope its not.

Pete
bfitzgerald

I can't say until it turns up. I will be checking though that's for sure.
Not seen any other reports of this issue not on Sony cameras, but I do have a habit of spotting things like this. Normal day to day shooting it won't show up.
But put any dark object in a window and you will see it even if you don't beef up the exposure.

I only found it by accident I had the camera on and was looking at the rear lcd and when I moved the camera it showed up on the display. As my monitor is sitting near a black out blind lots of contrast there
bfitzgerald

Ok update time. The Chris guy from Sony phoned (quite a few times actually) I went into some detail as to why I felt the support failed in a big way, the lack of communications, the ignored appeals to escalate the case. It was the facebook postings that got their attention (hard to miss I posted all over the world!) He's investigating why this happened and how service failed so badly on this.

I have asked for a technical explanation on the "green line" issue. He told me the camera is being sent to mainland Europe for testing as this green line has caused (evidently) a bit of concern at Sony land. I've not seen it before..but I did manage to get the same problem on a budget Fuji bridge camera. I was not able to get the same line on the F70 Fuji I have (sensor is EXR though)

This is what I got off the Fuji
DSCF2343.JPG
(236.37 KiB) Downloaded 2235 times
It's the same problem, but again I've not seen this on the other cams I had ie the big sensor ones or seen it on ones I have used either (and I've used live view on quite a few models in contrasty situations)

Sony are now sending me a Boxed new A57 with the kit lens, as they could not get a body only order in (I'm not complaining) That order has been put in evidently, and it should arrive shortly I'm told.
The reason I wanted some closure on this was I didn't want to get lumbered with an A58 or have to look at other options, the A57 is coming to it's end and it was about the only SLT model to date which had some kind of appeal (for my type of shooting)

If I get more information on the green line then I will update as per usual. So basically I'll get a new body, a new 12 month warranty, and I'll be up a battery (added to the other 2) and a kit lens, which I don't really need but hey I'm not turning it down either.
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

Not to pollute your thread but Sony NZ got the bash on one of the highest rating and longest running TV programs "Fair Go" in NZ last night. Result Sony replaced the young mans camera, BUT only after "Fair Go" got involved. "NZ Consumer" magazine, like the British "Choice" said that ALL modern cameras should reasonably be expected to last FIVE years. If they don't you have the right to have them replaced

watch the clip from this page http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go and choose

What happens when your appliances stop working? (8:56)

If you've got a dud appliance, consumer law says you can ask the retailer to repair or…
http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/happens-your- ... eo-5409377
5D, 8000i, XD7
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Barry I wouldn’t be surprised if the replacement camera also does the same thing in the same circumstances, but I would be interested if you did an experiment just to satisfy my curiosity.
I would like to see is what happens when you mount a flash on the camera and expose for the window and use flash fill for the dark part of the image and describe what happens both in preview on the rear screen and in the actual photo, I'm thinking the green band will be there in the preview but might disappear in the photo.
Greg
bfitzgerald

I did watch the video from NZ and again I'm not entirely shocked, as soon as the PR machine becomes aware of these problems and they go public, suddenly something seems to be done about it. The problem with that is it should not be necessary to have to go to these measures to get some action.
As for consumer law in NZ I'm not sure where that stands v Europe. I don't disagree you'd expect at least 5 years from a camera, but I'd say after your 12 month warranty is up you're out of luck in the UK at least.

Greg using flash I have tested and the green line problem is not there if you have flash on. I suspect the reason is the brightness difference is a lot less due to the flash so it's probably not overloading the sensor. I won't be super shocked if this new body has the problem (and you can be sure I'll test) But if it does I can say that I'll be in touch with Sony again on this, they will need to get to the bottom of it somehow.

Not sure how many A57 users are on this forum, or any other SLT ones. I'd be curious to know if they can get this issue on their cameras.
bfitzgerald

Another update. Got a call again from the same guy.
I asked about the dispatch for the new replacement camera, and well...this is quite worrying but evidently Sony don't even know if it's been sent out yet!
Apologies as per expected, but I'm starting to wonder if Sony are competent enough to run a company. He said the dispatch department could not confirm if they had sent it out, so he has no idea. He did say I should have had it by now, but clearly it's not here.

It does make you wonder how this company actually manages it's normal day to day activities. Myself, I'm so far into this now I've not given up..but I'm almost completely indifferent to it now. I actually sat down and laughed a bit on this one, the mind boggles it really does.
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

The young boy got his new camera. At least in NZ parts of Sony are alive and well, even if it took the prodding of the biggest TV channel in NZ

Broken camera update (1:07) 8:00PM Wed April 24, 2013
http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/broken-camera ... eo-5416849
5D, 8000i, XD7
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

It’s good to see the Saga drawing to a close at last but I’m not surprised that Sony’s despatch dept. don’t know if they sent something or not Barry, you remember the time when Sony had a part subcontracted out but they ended up making the part themselves via the subcontractor who couldn’t make it right away but knew that Sony could so they got Sony to make it for them, (a different section of Sony) they obviously knew more about Sony than Sony did.
That was funny, but it was slightly more funny hmmm than funny ha ha.
Greg