Software and firmware updates

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Software and firmware updates

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:...Sony have not so far made any lenses for SLR or SLT models which don't work properly without in-camera correction - except perhaps the 16-50mm f/2.8, and the camera that was made for (A77) already has that function. They have been unable to make the 16-50mm for NEX usable with any of the models before the 5N.

David
Hi David,

Are you trying to say that Sony lens designs are what they are only because they planned to correct their limitation in-camera? Do you think they could do better and design "better lenses" for the same price?

I thought that, in order to deliver lenses that are light, compact, focus closer, and relatively well performers, they had to do some compromises, that happens to be quite easy to fix with software (remember that the first doing so was Olympus for the Pen cameras and pancake kit lens)

Regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote: IMO it's a slap in the face to address the bracketing on a NEX model, and completely ignore the SLT ones. 0.7 +/- is effectively useless as the metering tends to underexpose anyway, it's simply too small a range to be of any use. Whilst I'm not a heavy exposure bracketing user, it's something that is handy from time to time.
... Worse, they send the message that NEX users get priority treatment, for a camera which actually costs less than their mid range SLT models.
NEX 5 and up are marketed as second cameras for serious shooters, that will buy it regardless what's their main equipment (a serious photographer with, lets say, a D800, won't buy an A37 as second/pocketable-purseable camera)
You keep buying the wrong camera, Barry...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

The first to apply very heavy geometry corrections to a near-fisheye lens was the Lx3. And it worked OK due to low pixelcount and also due to lower expectations as that was a P&S; and then that tiny Leica lens it had was a little marvel at all but geometry.

But using heavy corrections over a lens that's not so good to start with, they produce the output well below any criticism, as it is e.g. with that SELP16-50. So generally speaking, I think the reliance on heavy SW corrections is a very bad design tendency.

And then we also get that stupid Lr4.3 that doesn't allow to switch off those corrections for e.g. RX100; and now they even don't allow switching off the CA corrections for the Sigma DN lenses. So I had to first make DNG's from RX100 raw in DxO and then go to Lr4; and for the Sigma DN lenses I have to use the Lr3.6.

So I think there's a development into a very ugly direction, and I'm afraid that development is universal for all consumer-grade photo equipment.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

pakodominguez wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote: IMO it's a slap in the face to address the bracketing on a NEX model, and completely ignore the SLT ones. 0.7 +/- is effectively useless as the metering tends to underexpose anyway, it's simply too small a range to be of any use. Whilst I'm not a heavy exposure bracketing user, it's something that is handy from time to time.
... Worse, they send the message that NEX users get priority treatment, for a camera which actually costs less than their mid range SLT models.
NEX 5 and up are marketed as second cameras for serious shooters, that will buy it regardless what's their main equipment (a serious photographer with, lets say, a D800, won't buy an A37 as second/pocketable-purseable camera)
You keep buying the wrong camera, Barry...

Sorry that doesn't fly with me I got an A57 anyway not an A37. I very much doubt that the average NEX 5N user is more advanced than an A57 one. Anyway the point is issues that should have been put out to pasture a long time ago are still knocking around.
This stuff should have been nailed down a long time ago esp the jpegs, and wasted buttons/nag screens.

This is what happens when you have a dev team who are not photographers.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

bfitzgerald wrote:This is what happens when you have a dev team who are not photographers.
Barry, you might want to read these 2 posts because they are rather interesting in the parts talking about the way Japanese camera companies design their cameras and why.

Why CP+ Was So Grim

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/why ... -grim.html

The dpreview Interviews With Japanese Camera Company Executives

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/the ... views.html
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

They are interesting but in this case not applicable in relation to firmware. Reason being some of the "problems" are so basic that they are not really logical as deliberate firmware limitations on models. Nikon are by some margin the worst offended with their D3200/5200 models are in core functionality so stripped that they're not really even worth looking at (esp in regards to the lack of in body AF motor/metering limitations/lack of wireless and HSS which is now standard on every DSLR and has been for ages now)

Sony might consider the small bracketing range a way to differentiate between models, but it does not explain why the NEX model gets this addressed (a 5 series NEX is comparable to a 5 series SLT IMO) Stuff like a flash ready light in all viewing modes is really just an oversight from Sony (but one that needs correcting), the decision to allow customisation on a couple of buttons you probably would not want to customise anyway over the never used zoom and ? button is not a limitation of firmware, but lack of product development/field testing. As far as the jpegs go they're just as lousy on the A77 as they are A57/65/37 it's just Sony's lack of understanding about how to process decent jpegs (and one that has dragged on for years now)

Frankly I'm annoyed that Sony has not addressed at least a few of these for SLT users, but I'm not shocked they've shown in the past their inability to listen to user feeedback.

Soon we will see more games being played evidently the A58 is a 20mp sensor not 24mp probably because Sony at least want less informed buyers to think that 4mp extra is "better" when it's probably likely that it will be notably better than the 24mp SLT sensor in low light. Trying to wring a bit more cash out of a struggling model that's £200 overpriced v it's rivals.

I shouldn't have to post on a forum to tell a huge electronics company that a flash ready light or decent jpegs are not model differentiation, but lack of understanding about cameras in general. Lens profiles, what a joke if the jpegs were any good or their IDC software worth using you might have something to say on that. As is stands it's a completely useless firmware update for SLT users, bar any hidden improvements their might be.
Bengeo
Initiate

Unread post by Bengeo »

Tried to add a comment to the article page. I can input the text but hitting the Post Comment button nothing happens. Logged in OK and using Firefox. What I was trying to add was:
The SEL1855 and SEL55210 update files are exactly the same size as those issued last year. Guess they have just done a complete set for current lenses and included the old ones again?

Andy