Software and firmware updates

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Software and firmware updates

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Full links here for the European site:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2013/02/0 ... -roll-out/

The Alpha 700, 850 and 900 get a new stand-alone Remote Capture 3, which has been updated mainly work with the A99. The NEX-5N gets a stack of updates including 16-50mm pancake lens compatibility.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Software and firmware updates

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Yup and SLT users (non FF) get "lens profiles" sigh...
I honestly didn't expect a massive update, but I did expect a couple of things addressed. How can they add "proper" bracketing to a NEX5n and not the SLT range? Are NEX users suddenly more expert and in need of this?
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

SLT users are the new OVF users.... NEX will be the Sony of the future.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald

I'd be surprised if they have any customers left at that stage!
I've never really had any real interest in NEX for a few reasons, but mostly because I'm better served with a "decent compact" than a pseudo compact system. I think the rumours springing up about A mount getting dumped and NEX only are only fuelled by stunts like this.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I think your reaction is a bit misplaced. Sony have not so far made any lenses for SLR or SLT models which don't work properly without in-camera correction - except perhaps the 16-50mm f/2.8, and the camera that was made for (A77) already has that function. They have been unable to make the 16-50mm for NEX usable with any of the models before the 5N.

David
bfitzgerald

In short in camera corrections are completely useless to me. Reason, I own all of one Sony lens (18-55mm which I have to get rid of, it's ok for a kit lens but I don't need it) Second reason the jpegs are pretty awful on the model I own, they look pretty poor on the other SLT APS-C models too. And whilst I have IDC around on the pc, it's only there for playing around. LR is where I'd do most work.

IMO it's a slap in the face to address the bracketing on a NEX model, and completely ignore the SLT ones. 0.7 +/- is effectively useless as the metering tends to underexpose anyway, it's simply too small a range to be of any use. Whilst I'm not a heavy exposure bracketing user, it's something that is handy from time to time.

Appreciate Sony are (and never really were) flavour of the month from my own POV, leaving my issues aside in the other thread there were quite a few areas Sony needed to address, some actually quite notable. Not having a flash ready indicator available all the time is an oversight and fairly serious at that (only in 2 viewing modes) I can work around some of these niggles if not most of them, but they've missed an opportunity to sort a few things out. Worse, they send the message that NEX users get priority treatment, for a camera which actually costs less than their mid range SLT models.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Barry

We have talked about the below par Jpegs from SLT before. I quite like the Jpegs I get from my A37. They look to have good colour and dynamic range, fine detail at lower ISO and are pretty sharp once I have done a bit of out of camera sharpening which is not much. I prefer to leave in camera sharpening at zero.
What area can the Jpegs be improved.
I must admit that its time Sony put a sensor in their SLT's that does not need over aggressive noise control at higher ISO which wrecks fine detail. iIts been an on going problem for several years on nearly all their DSLR's.
Pete
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

I find it strange that nobody at the other fora is celebrating the arrival of tethering for a99.
Where are all those writing long-thread moanings and groanings about the missing tethering? :roll:
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

agorabasta wrote:I find it strange that nobody at the other fora is celebrating the arrival of tethering for a99.
Where are all those writing long-thread moanings and groanings about the missing tethering? :roll:
I'll celebrate when I own one :wink:
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Very disappointing isn't it. Still, we must remember that it is not possible to alter everything with firmware. There again we knew what we were getting when we bought it. At least we should have done if we had read the specs.
Bob Johnston
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

agorabasta wrote:I find it strange that nobody at the other fora is celebrating the arrival of tethering for a99.
because afaik you have been able to tether the A99 since it went on sale.
There is still no support for tethering on A77 though .
bfitzgerald

Strange the A700 has tethering though! (according to that information)
You can read the specs but you'll not be aware of some issues until you buy the product (esp flash ready light never knew about that) some of the other stuff I did (but hey NEX users are not first in line for updates the bracketing has been a constant annoyance to many going back years)

Jpeg wise you'll probably be ok at low ISO levels, but above ISO 400 it stars to go to mush and even NR low does not help. Once you get to higher ISO levels they're a smeared mess (putting it bluntly) I don't have a lot of great things to say about Nikon based on my own use of their products being fair though I can only think of a couple of issues outside the lousy AF (which was a big deal) one was the Auto ISO which isn't focal length aware (must set min shutter) apart from that handling/controls wise it was excellent. And the jpegs were very good indeed (NR off for me) even at high ISO levels very decent.
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Heidfirst wrote:because afaik you have been able to tether the A99 since it went on sale.
Now I know it's true. I wasn't aware that the RCC utility got updated to support the 99 being available since Oct'12; first time I heard of that was end of Dec'12.
But then again, I don't use 99. (Though I would definitely buy one if I needed a true a-mount cam; and I wouldn't buy anything other than the 99 of that kind. The best for the pure DT use is a couple of Nexes - 7+6; that works the best for all the lenses available, some very best with the 7, the rest other with the 6.)

Still, I keep reading squeaks from the 'users' that they need that tethering for the 99 that's somehow is not there for them :roll:
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:SLT users are the new OVF users.... NEX will be the Sony of the future.
Good one. :lol:
bfitzgerald

Whilst I'm here there is another area for improvement the AWB sucks on the A57 (and the other SLT models I've looked at) in low kelvin light. Not even close to it. My finepix has a better AWB than the A57, both the Nikon and Pentax DSLR's I have used has an option for strong correction for tungsten light. Much better results.

As Sony are pulling data off the main sensor (and not a secondary one for metering/WB etc) Bit puzzled by the lousy performance here. Again don't take it out of context I'll sleep at night, but hmmm they really have to nail this stuff down once and for all.