Sony A58 "plastic lens mount"

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Sony A58 "plastic lens mount"

Unread post by pakodominguez »

bfitzgerald wrote:Wow Sony really are cutting back on costs.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sony- ... PHOTOzine)

I'm actually shocked to see this in 2013. I know we put up with the partial metal mount for too long (really should be fully metal) but this is a real step backwards.
Might have passed years ago with super budget 35mm bodies having a plastic mount, but 2013 no way...

Even Canon's EOS 1100d has a full metal mount. Sony are really penny pinching here
Apparently, there is nothing new about the composite mount on the A58
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50972817
and apparently, your Maxxum 5D had it also (but apparently it didn't bothered you)
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50975952
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

It seems that companies like Fuji are striving all the time to improve and develop their cameras for their discerning customers, where as Sony seem to be putting far more effort than is healthy into saving money rather than product advancement.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

classiccameras wrote:It seems that companies like Fuji are striving all the time to improve and develop their cameras for their discerning customers, where as Sony seem to be putting far more effort than is healthy into saving money rather than product advancement.
While Fuji is creating really good products, you have to keep in mind that they are targeting some kind of customers -they don't do entry level DSRL (DSLT), so you can not really compare.
If you want to compare, RX1/100 NEXs (specially NEX6 and 7) are au pair or better than Fuji products.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Pako that is was already stated previously in this thread, there were quite a number of cameras with plastic bayonet flanges, Minolta, KM and Sony.
They weren’t the same as the A58 because they had the metal overlay for the screw heads to tighten down onto, the A58 is completely different the plastic mount now has to withstand the compression force of the attaching screws directly as there is no metal face to act as a compression load spreading reinforce and also act as a retainer.
Maybe the idea is for it to fail under impact shock (drop) it might be designed that way so the mirror box doesn’t have to be replaced, it would be much cheaper to just replace the lens mount instead.
But what if you don’t drop cameras (having a properly fitted neck strap and USING it so you don’t drop either a lens or a body while changing lenses) and keep them for a long time, I can use my X-700’s that I bought 30 years ago and the lens mounts are still just as good now as when I bought them, but I wonder how much I’d trust them if they had been made of all plastic like the A58 and screwed into a plastic mirror box?
And why shouldn’t one expect to have a service life from today’s cameras like we got from cameras in the past, if we want to keep them? I don’t buy a camera with the point of view that it will become landfill in a few years.
Greg
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Pako,

All Sony a-mount bodies had their mount parts slightly different, their replacement p/n's are completely different. It's only the bodies within the same basic project that shared those parts, e.g. a200/300/350 or a55/33.

Having a plastic flange below a strong metal front ring is absolutely no problem, as those flanges had metal retention springs attached to them below. It's the strength of the front ring that is important.
The ring used in a55 was too weak and was being easily deformed by tightening the holding screws, and as result the mount was constantly 'flowing' needing re-tightening now and then. I had a lot of problems with the a55 mount, and described my experience earlier in the thread - http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 226#p77226
The mount they offer with a58 has absolutely no chance to do the job any better.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

agorabasta wrote:Pako,
The mount they offer with a58 has absolutely no chance to do the job any better.
:-/
We are in a odd situation: Manufacturers offer plastic mounts (and other less noble materials and software) on entry level cameras, since ever. But what had change is that digital SRL are disposable cameras, so Advanced photographers, and some pros, will avoid buying expensive bodies that they'll (we'll) need to replace in a couple of years or so.

There is no answer today to this situation. I would love to see Cameras where the components were modular: I want this sensor, this buffer, this amount of memory on this body. And because I find the phone-like UI of the NEX phony, please install the one of the RX100/RX1, thanks. Ah! and the picture effect package that allow you to shoot JPG AND RAW. If Dell do it with computers, why Sony can not do it with cameras?
Pako
------------
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Time will tell how much or how long that "plastic " mount will last.
Anyone here who can assure that it is pure plastic? Or is it some kind of a very rigid "plastic-like" or plasticoid (name it as you like) substance?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
agorabasta
Viceroy

Unread post by agorabasta »

Dr. Harout wrote:Time will tell how much or how long that "plastic " mount will last.
Well, Doc, that assertion of yours is quite justified.
If they put a ring of cheap saw-blade steel moulded into that plastic ring, it all may play out OK to an extent.

But I'm not up to their experimentations (am too old, to say the least...).
And I don't trust them a *pip-pip-pip* considering the history; their history that is/was/to-be...
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Like johnstra said it is probably a high grade of 'plastic' maybe something of the quality of Delrin, but I would be hesitant to call things like Teflon, Delrin, Ketron, Kevlar, Acrylite etc. 'plastic' although I guess in reality they are.
If it is a high grade 'plastic' it might last a long time, but I have reservations with plastic of any sort when subjected to local compression loads like screw head tension, also plastics can degrade from UV exposure, some more than others, but like the Doc says time will tell.
Greg
Ps one thing I do know for sure is all metal mounts don't deform and degrade over time under screw compression or UV exposure.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Wow this one looks good, http://www.quadrantplastics.com/en/prod ... R-pai.html but I wonder if Sony is using something as good as that?
Greg
Dr. Harout

Greg Beetham wrote:Wow this one looks good, http://www.quadrantplastics.com/en/prod ... R-pai.html but I wonder if Sony is using something as good as that?
Greg
If it's cheaper in manufacturing then probably yes.

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

These things are cumulative just like the awful plastic cover that isn't a real rear lens cap. If they make 200,000 units and save 20 pence on each one they will yes save some money. Add the no hot shoe cover, again they save cash and the plastic lens mount which probably doesn't save that much but once you add these 3 things together x the no. of units made then some suit will sit there and congratulate the people who made the decision.

The problem comes when you get a negative perception/experience from the potential buyer/customer. Sony's bundle out of the box isn't that great to be blunt, esp compared to other makers I have used. Cheap, poorly written user manual on poor quality paper, somewhat stiff neck strap again feels a bit cheapo, the sauce tray rear lens cap is disappointing to see from any maker. It doesn't come off that good overall.

The reason I think the plastic mount is a major error is that no other camera maker is doing it, which tells you that it's a potential sales killer (if it wasn't then why don't budget Canikon's have plastic mounts?) I think we've moved past this super budget stuff many years ago on those cheapo 35mm bodies. Thing is they were actually super cheap, the A58 would need to be about £199 cheap to pass that off. And I seriously doubt it will ever get that low on price.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

Just a thought, but I wonder if the A57 metal mount will fit on the new A58, and would it be an easy job for the owner to do. I.E. is it just a matter of a screw driver.
Dr. Harout

bfitzgerald wrote:...The reason I think the plastic mount is a major error is that no other camera maker is doing it
... yet :wink:
In innovation which is always first of its kind, it is always attacked by conservatives/preservatives... :wink:

Flickr
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Actually Canon had a partial plastic mount on the EOS1000d, and I was playing with a 1100d the other day in a shop.
The build is for me a bit too cheap it doesn't feel great (not to say it's going to fall apart) just the finish isn't as good as one would hope.

But even that has a "full" metal mount. Looking at the A58 the finish has been downgraded too, smooth plastics v the speckled A57 one.
Obviously Canon felt the need to "upgrade" the EOS 1000d mount. So I think Sony will be alone in offering plastic mounts for DSLR's no other maker would dare to do it.

Yes you could fit a metal part I've a few film 5's around and they could be used (one is for parts non working) But you'd stuff up your warranty and few would buy a brand new camera and upgrade the mount themselves.

Pako seems to be having problems working out what an all plastic mount is, the 5d isn't all plastic heck none of my cameras are. I would not buy one with a purely plastic mount.
Last edited by bfitzgerald on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.