Sony A58 "plastic lens mount"

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A58 "plastic lens mount"

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Mere speculation on your part right now the A58 is pre-order with a kit lens at £499, the A57 is £499 with a kit lens!
I'm sure the price of the A58 will drop even more (no doubt as they struggle to sell them) but even at £399 it is still worse value for money than the A57 for what you get. Unless it hits a silly low price of £299 with a kit lens it will become an object of mockery. Anyway even the A37 at £299 had a metal lens mount

Few A57 users will look at it as it's a downgrade in most areas, I doubt many new buyers will flock to it either as it doesn't offer anything you can't get from other makers. The A57 didn't do that well v Canikon, there is no reason to assume this A58 will do any better.

If you want to buy one knock yourself out, you'll be one of a few that do though.
IMO heavy criticism is justified against Sony esp regarding plastic lens mounts, a serious step back and symptomatic of the cut cut cut mentality from Sony of late.

I can't wait to see if they downgrade the A78 to save a few pennies, seems to be Sony are not aware they have competitors in the market (ditto A99 blinkers on and sales flop due to overpricing)
I think the list was quite objective (if you can think of anything I missed fire away, few would argue with the pros and cons list)
Sony are 3 steps forward, 5 back..that's my take

I didn't list stuff like AF tracking and auto object framing as these are merely gimmicks and of little use to most users, but if you're counting evidently the 3d panoramic mode got the chop (not that I care never used it)
mixxer
Acolyte

Unread post by mixxer »

You're using selective comparisons. The A57 was £699 with 18-55mm kit lens at launch!

No, it's not an "upgrade" to the A57, it's a "replacement" for both the A37 and the A57 and it is launched at a price 72% of the A57 launch price. Surely you don't expect an upgraded camera for significantly less money? The "upgrade" for the A57 will be probably designated A6x, probably use the 20mp sensor and probably match the A57 launch price. What other features it may or may not have we don't know, but it's encouraging to see that better bracketing options are an almost certainty. The only negative I can see would be the new remote socket.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

mixxer wrote:No, it's not an "upgrade" to the A57, it's a "replacement" for both the A37 and the A57 and it is launched at a price 72% of the A57 launch price. Surely you don't expect an upgraded camera for significantly less money? The "upgrade" for the A57 will be probably designated A6x, probably use the 20mp sensor and probably match the A57 launch price. What other features it may or may not have we don't know, but it's encouraging to see that better bracketing options are an almost certainty. The only negative I can see would be the new remote socket.
Sony's naming is often so confusing. No one would have been confused if the name was A4x. If there is a new, higher level one named A6x then it will be clear, but then again Sony might name it A59 and everyone will be confused again. Or, maybe even call it A45 and everyone will be even more confused. :lol:
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bakubo wrote:Sony's naming is often so confusing. No one would have been confused if the name was A4x. If there is a new, higher level one named A6x then it will be clear, but then again Sony might name it A59 and everyone will be confused again. Or, maybe even call it A45 and everyone will be even more confused. :lol:
Divide et impera :twisted: :twisted:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mixxer
Acolyte

Unread post by mixxer »

Quod est in nomen? :)
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

bfitzgerald wrote:Sorry but I think you're being a bit selective here. 8fps in crop mode..right but it's still a downgrade v the previous model
Worse:
- 5fps v 10fps on the A57 at full res (yes you can do 8fps in crop mode big swing you can do 12fps with fixed exposure on the A57)
The subject I responded to was A580 versus A58. Where A58 does more frames per second than A580.
Furthermore, both SLT's A57 and A58 perform better than A580 DSLR.
Data throughput was covered in my previous messages.
Using the term downgrade is very subjective, focusing merely on one aspect, frames per second, ignoring the megapixels (image quality). Also remeber that A58 is to replace both A37 and A57. So some specs lowered compared to A57 would not be surprising.
bfitzgerald wrote: Memory is cheap and going from 16-20mp isn't a big jump either so Sony could easily have improved the fps performance, but again decided to cut it down.
I don't know a lot about camera engineering, however in personal computer terms data throughput would be about power supply, processing power, bus speed, heat dissipation, buffers AND storage (memory). Of which the memory is the least expensive and challenging.
classiccameras
Viceroy

Unread post by classiccameras »

It seems that Sony have completely messed up their range of SLT cameras, unlike Canikon who have a range that fits snugly into each catigory, entry, mid, advanced mid and Pro. The A58 is now going to be the Entry level SLT but it looks like they are trying to make it all things to all people so it imbraces the empty slot left by the A37 which was an excellent budget entry level camera. Then we have the upper entry level A65 which is not that brilliant with a small price difference and so on right up to the Pro models which are undoubtedly going to struggle against Canikon. Sony needs to find a niche in the market rather than competing with the big boys, they have yet to find it. I suspect they are not even looking.
Barry, I guess with Pentax you can use loads of indendants such as Sigma and Tamron.
Pete
bfitzgerald

I'm not sure I'd be willing to look at Pentax again, not after the K-r problems with front focus (or the lack of fix for it) Leaving that aside
You can to a point work around the lens range with Tamron but newer models are not being made for K mount. It's really the lack of AF s/h lenses (not a patch on Minolta's range) that hurts things, there are a few around but nowhere near as many and prices are not great either.

Not sure about Sigma and their K mount range. Also I'm not entirely convinced on Pentax tonality it's not bad but can be too punch for me (even in raw) the NR on raw is another turn off too. I'm sure the K-5II is nice but I have doubts in a few areas and on the long term viability of K mount (one reason I tried Nikon..sadly their QC is quite iffy) Only really leaves Canon

I think the SLT range is a bit weak now A58 isn't IMO strong enough or good enough to hold it's own at that price point as the only entry model, A77 has it's noisy sensor so does the A65 that leaves the hugely priced A99 and I'm def not willing to commit funds to that. I think the SLT line up is weak very weak, only a big update on the A77 and a new A65 with much improved sensors and other stuff can save the day. From what I gather there will be no new A65 and the A78 will arrive later this year, but probably with a hefty £1000+ price tag.

I'm not sure I'm willing to change mounts again as I have a fairly large number of Minolta lenses, it would mean having to sell everything off again which is time consuming. I might be better off simply looking at s/h A mount bodies to meet my needs.

As for the A580 I think it's a real shame they never updated that body, better VF stuff like that it would be a good seller for Sony.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

bfitzgerald wrote:

As for the A580 I think it's a real shame they never updated that body, better VF stuff like that it would be a good seller for Sony.
Hear, Hear.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
classiccameras
Viceroy

I saw a used A560 body in my local camera shop just before last Christmas, but I know little about this model. It sold quite quickly.
Yes, the Pentax colour palette is a bit vivid and unevenly balanced at default but its made up for with some very comprehensive in camera adjustments. I had a Kr bought as body only a couple of years ago and used a Sigma 17-70 USM OS [ OS switched off ] on it all the time. Got some cracking pictures with no focus problems as far as I could see. I do mostly manual focus any way, I hate being told by the camera where to focus.
Pete
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

Going back to the original question about the plastic mount, I too am as prejudiced as any of you about plastic being used. BUT you know what? It probably is just prejudice. Plastics have come a long way since I was involved in mechanical engineering in the 80s and I bet that what they are using is easily stronger than the nickel plated brass that is normally used for lens mounts. Even way back then I used to specify components made of Delrin. It was incredibly tough, self lubricating and I can't imagine it shedding any particles into the lens throat. Plastics are better than that now. So Sony are in danger of losing some buyers, especially ones as old as I am, thanks to old ideas but I suspect that in practice the mount will be perfectly ok. I remember when plastics were first introduced into lenses. Oh what an outcry there was!
Bob Johnston
bfitzgerald

The K-r had problems in low kelvin light I shot a concert and every single AF shot was front focus and bad front focus at that. I ended up using live view else I'd have had no shots in focus! If it had not had that problem it would have been a pretty good camera, decent buffer, decent sensor, fps was fast enough for most, easy to use etc etc had no serious complaints apart from that. But I shoot a LOT in low kelvin light and that was a major problem (K-x did not show the same issue)

K-5 had problems too it seems to have been a defective/flawed AF module. I'm sure they've sorted that out on the new models it just left a bad taste in the mouth. Have to say I've never had any AF issues like that with Sony (a200 wasn't great in low light) A57 is actually quite solid for AF and vastly superior to the D7000's I had (accuracy and speed)

A560 didn't get a big release if I remember it's basically an A580 with a 14mp sensor
I do see A580's around on ebay seems people are trying to get fairly high prices for them though, maybe that says something! (ie still in demand)
I can use the A57 (if and when it returns from service which could be weeks from now) that's not an issue.

It's disappointing though having bit the bullet on the SLT thing that the model line up is weak. I'd not entertain an A58 even as a second body.
Guess I'll be digging around for a nice A700 or eventually an A850.

Side note I don't think it is prejudices I've had plastic mount 35mm bodies in the past and I'm really not impressed with them it might swing at the time for an ultra cheap 35mm body (frankly why bother Dynax 4 was plastic and the 5 was only a little more expensive) I'm not overly happy with the plastic tabs behind the metal mount, I would not be willing to purchase an all plastic mount camera even at £300 odd
classiccameras
Viceroy

My local Curry's is selling a A37 £299

Does any one particular Sony DSLR stand out amongst past models other than the 580.

I guess if like me you are just a weekend amateur, a plastic mount probably won't be an issue.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

Of the four Sony DSLRs I've owned, the only two I'd buy again are the a100 & a580. I have never had the pleasure of using the a700, or the a900/850, but they are very highly regarded by those that have.

As for the a560, was that not one of the Jessops exclusives in the UK? I don't recall seeing anywhere else stocking that model.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

I have had only one Sony SLR and one SLT. The A700 and the A77. Before that I had a KM 7D and before that I was using Minolta film SLRs. I know that it depends on how much you can afford but there are always cheaper models intended as starter cameras and for people who are casual users. Then there are models made for us enthusiasts. This is the same for all makes of DSLRs. The A700 was a great camera. I still have it and have just sent it away to get it converted for infrared. It is tough (no plastic lens mount!), it has one of the best viewfinders ever put into an apsc dslr and it is ergonomically excellent. In fact I wonder why I bothered replacing it. I think that a second-hand high end model of the previous generation is likely to be better than the lower end current stuff. By way of comparison, I remember that the cheaper Canons of the past that I have seen at our local photographic society were pretty poor. I think it was the 500D that was apt to have it's sensor out of alignment leading to shots that were soft on one side. Of course Sony don't play in the very high end professional market which is the snobs reason for dismissing them but who cares? Who can actually afford a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1D and why would you need one anyway?
Bob Johnston