Multi interface

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Multi interface

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

So let's discuss the new multi interface. The new A58 and Nex 3N seem to have this on the side as well, so the A58 has two multi sockets.
The connector (micro USB?) that used to serve only to connect the camera to a computer's USB port, can now be used to connect a remote control cord, the new RM-VPR1.
The two connectors are not the same. One is a shoe, the other is a connector. I am not sure to what degree functions overlap. I suppose it is not possible to connect a remote flash cord to the side outlet. However it seems feasible to connect a microphone to both outlets (when supplied with the right kind of connector, or with an adapter).
Where can i find more info on these connectors?
Also I am interested in the (rumored) remote camera control from PC or phone/tablet for the A58.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Multi interface

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Usually a USB device draws 5v from somewhere to function so I’m guessing the RM-VPR1 remote controller will operate off the camera battery when using it.
I see that it is supposed to enable zoom (digital?) and video recording (and more?) when connected to an A58 camera although the controller doesn’t have a screen of any kind itself, so that must mean the operator must be close enough to view the screen on the camera to see what is going on.
It also appears to include an adaptor cable to connect with the A37, A57, A65, A77 and A99 but the functions are limited to operating the shutter, I’m only guessing that the extra non mini USB cable is there for that purpose, as usual Sony don’t seem to know themselves what the function of the extra cable is (not included in the device description or specifications).
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 4#features
The device description doesn’t explain the purpose or function of the various buttons or features of the control either so you more or less left with a vague feeling of an information vacuum regarding the usefulness of the gadget itself, (situation normal) I guess it’s a remote control that fires the shutter on six camera models (and some extras on the A58) and that’s about all we need to know as far is Sony is concerned.
It also appears to replace the previous wired remote controller RM-L1AM with its Minolta socket which came in short and long cable versions but now appears to be available only in the long version (for maybe not much longer) beginning with the A58 via a separate micro B socket which is different to the proprietary micro/mini USB used for downloads and works at least with the above six cameras, the description doesn’t say if you can use it with previous camera models (before the A77) or not so I guess it’s a case of suck it and see if you need a cable remote when or if the RM-L1AM is discontinued at some point (intentions unknown).
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I know little about this new multi connector. I use the normal wired remote (that works across almost every A mount body)
And I have an IR remote for the A57 which can fire the shutter

Unless you require the "new" functions of the multi connector remote I would suggest checking to see if the a58 supports the IR remote function (plenty on ebay I have 3 myself!)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Well the normal wired remote won’t work with the A58 Barry, Sony has changed the socket on the camera so now people who buy it have too also buy the new improved wired remote (RM-VPR1) if they want one. (I still don’t know yet if the new hot shoe adapter comes in the box with the camera like it did with the A99)
I haven’t used an IR remote myself, one came with the A700 but I haven’t had a call to use it so far so I don’t know how effective it would be used from behind the camera, as far as I know the sensor for it is on the front of the camera grip only, maybe different models I’m not familiar with had a sensor on the back as well.
I have actually used the long and the short wired remote with the KM5D and the A100 and they work fine, so it could be another case of ‘if it aint broke….
Greg
bfitzgerald

I know the standard wired remote won't work but I suggested looking to see if the IR remote works seems like the most cost effective solution (unless you want the video aspect on the new remote) It worked ok on the A57 least I found it fine

No idea why Sony dropped the normal wired remote goes back to my changing everything but what they need to thinking! (but that's another debate)
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote: No idea why Sony dropped the normal wired remote
probably because the current one couldn't support the extra functions.
I would imagine that Sony may also try to standardise this across Alpha/Nex/Cybershot & video cameras.
bfitzgerald

To be honest with the "new hotshoe" and now dropping the remote cable you're giving current users a good reason NOT to want to buy future models. (consistency and continuation are important)
Only price I saw on that new Sony remote was €65 from some EU seller, I doubt many will want to purchase such a device.

At this point I have no idea if the A58 supports the IR remote. If it does I would suggest going down that road, unless there is some desire to control video aspects of the camera with the new remote
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

It’s just another video related shonk, there would be no need to replace the existing remotes and change the connector socket otherwise. Sony doesn’t give a toss if you have to buy another remote (flash and or adaptor as well sooner or later) on top of the previous ones that aren’t compatible with future cameras.
Greg
Ps The IR remotes are only useful to me if they work from behind the camera, something I’m still not absolutely clear on.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

Greg Beetham wrote:It’s just another video related shonk, there would be no need to replace the existing remotes and change the connector socket otherwise.
First of all, this topic is about the Multi interface (hence the title Multi interface). The remote release is an example of an accessory using the Multi interface.

Next, you're wrong, there is a need. You seem very arrogant to me. The fact that you can't think of any advantages, does not mean there aren't any. It merely means that you are not very clever.
The fact that two connectors are combined into one obviously results in more space left on the outside of the camera. It leaves room for additional connectors, buttons, or a bigger display. Also standardized connectors improves cross brand exchange of accessories. It has the advantage that it is cheaper to manufacture one connector than two of them.

Well, at least I now know why this forum was completely deserted when I encountered it. Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Winkler Prins wrote:Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
Yes! Yes we are!

At least, as long as you're parsing the sentence as I am. We're bashing 'pathetic Sony", the Sony that that won't listen to the customers, and says "My way or the highway".

We don't bash (but gave some constructive criticism to) the Sony that produced the A100, A350, A700, A850 or A900. THAT Sony gave people cameras that extended the system, brought out cameras people liked, and had a higher percentage of the DSLR market share than the pathetic Sony of today.

Pathetic Sony keeps breaking, not extending, system compatibility. Pathetic Sony has caused a lot of long time Alpha users to jump ship to other makers. Pathetic Sony has cause people with a long time investment in Alpha equipment to fork out thousands of dollars to duplicate their Alpha lens, flash and accessory equipment with those of another maker because Sony no longer produces cameras that work properly with them.

Pathetic Sony should ask the head of it's DSLR division to commit hari kari and find a true photographer to run it.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald

I don't know about the OP but I bought my clone wired remote off ebay (decent quality) for less than £5, at €65 a pop that's a hefty price for any remote. I'm sure ebay clones will turn up at some point maybe if they can justify making it. It's also a lot more expensive than the old wired remote so that cost saving point flies out the window too.

Sure we're critical, but then if they just included the normal wired remote socket (as most folks will have one) we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. There are no standard remote connectors anymore that went out a long time ago (Bar fuji who have a few of the old cable releases in some models, and I have a few of those around)

Onto the IR remote it will work fine indoors even behind the camera (bounces off walls etc like a TV remote) outside obviously that's not going to happen so that's the issue there.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Winkler Prins wrote:First of all, this topic is about the Multi interface (hence the title Multi interface). The remote release is an example of an accessory using the Multi interface.

Next, you're wrong, there is a need. You seem very arrogant to me. The fact that you can't think of any advantages, does not mean there aren't any. It merely means that you are not very clever.
The fact that two connectors are combined into one obviously results in more space left on the outside of the camera. It leaves room for additional connectors, buttons, or a bigger display. Also standardized connectors improves cross brand exchange of accessories. It has the advantage that it is cheaper to manufacture one connector than two of them.

Well, at least I now know why this forum was completely deserted when I encountered it. Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
Sheesh. Harsh. :shock:
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Please keep things civil. Winkler asked a simple question and there was a simple answer, Wiki is your friend:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Interface_Shoe

This provides all the functions and the pinouts. It's logical to fit two interfaces, as there are rather too many possible functions to fit all the devices you might want to. The A99 has conventional interfaces plus the multi, a bit of a classic I guess for future buyers.

There are many possible uses for the new interface including live view movement triggered focus and fire, triggered video (motion detected in frame same way) or audio triggered release.

David
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Winkler Prins wrote:
Greg Beetham wrote:It’s just another video related shonk, there would be no need to replace the existing remotes and change the connector socket otherwise.
First of all, this topic is about the Multi interface (hence the title Multi interface). The remote release is an example of an accessory using the Multi interface.

I think you would be better employed keeping an eye on Sony’s arrogance instead of mine.
According to the specs for the A58 Sony has not only the proprietary 8pin micro USB UC-E6 (for downloads) but also the separate 5pin micro B USB that connects the remote, (two different connectors). The additional micro B USB connector is the one replacing the previous Minolta three pin remote socket (as far as I can tell).

My argument is why would any company that makes cameras do the things they do if they had any clue at the top about a camera system and backward compatibility, if Sony actually gave a toss about their DSLR customers they would make cameras with compatible accessories that a large section of their customer base (the ones that haven’t left yet) want, and do it without the mistakes that have marred a great many cameras they have made either in design concept or the execution of it.

The new hot shoe is another mistake, the design is a water trap with a whole range of camera connectors at the bottom of the water trap and there is no guarantee the hot shoe cover will stop water penetration for those who are out in bad weather with their camera, I don’t, but quite a lot do get caught probably because their local conditions are on average worse than mine.

We shouldn’t need to buy some kind of protector for the rear screen either, KM made their rear screens with a glass face so they don’t scuff or scratch like all the Sony ones do being made of plastic junk.

The A100 (Sony’s first DSLR) was a good camera design wise (a look at the service manual for it and the KM5D reveals that there is great similarity between the two internally) but it was noisy, much noisier than the corresponding models from the opposition and its predecessor, that should not have happened.

The A700 (Sony’s second DSLR) was also a good camera verging on being a great camera but Sony made sure it didn’t have a future in competition with the D300 because it was noisy also and Sony’s idea of noise suppression resulted in smeared watercolour artifacts that took ages for Sony to come up with some kind of fix for, and by that time the market had forgotten about the A700.

Also the A700 had an endemic control wheel problem that was never acknowledged by Sony, just like they don’t acknowledge the endemic and backward compatibility problems with the flash system in the SLT’s or offer some kind of fix for the many affected with either the camera they have or the Sony flash they have paid good money for.

So now they have in effect swept all that under the carpet by releasing a new (multi function) hot shoe on the latest cameras along with a new flash and expect that everyone who has existing camera and flash problems will just buy the latest camera and flash in the hope that the problems will go away.

The A100 and the A700 actually take a photo with flash the moment you press the shutter button unlike the SLT’s, and they both turn on and are ready to take a photo instantly unlike the SLT’s, and they don’t waste battery power producing an aiming and framing display so Sony has regressed with camera design when you take backward compatibility and reliable usefulness into account.
The reliability and usefulness factor has gone down in proportion to the increase of flim flam and gimmicks.

I notice that there has been a rash of camera failures with the A55 lately, possibly the shutter or the iris actuator…whatever, the thing is the camera model isn’t all that old so why the failures with that model all of a sudden, maybe it doesn’t bode well for the SLT design in that case.

Meanwhile they can see fit to release a $1500 Zeiss 50mm lens that almost nobody will be able to justify buying for the dubious advantage over the 50’s that are already out there, I guess it fits in with the A99 a camera that is also in the same boat as the new lens with not many being able to afford it even if they want a FF SLT which judging by the market reaction is not many.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Interesting that wikipedia called it a proprietary hot shoe (which it is IMO)
I also noted that the A99 does evidently have the normal remote socket so I'm not sure what the new socket is around for