Multi interface

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Multi interface

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Here we go on the multi interface problem: (enjoy Greg)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50964704

So again it's a proprietary shoe in regards to mounting anything that requires use of the central sync port. It's disturbing to read users having to "DIY hack" things to fit the shoe properly, and confirms that the front contacts are the problem. The surrounding pins on other makers do vary on size, number, and location. But the central sync contact has (from what I have used) always been in the same position, hence the term standard ISO hot shoe.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Barry, actually I sort of don't enjoy the pickle Sony gets into with the A-mount at all, I wish they would re-invent the mindset they had when they built the E-mount and made it a universal open mount.
Greg
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Hey look on the bright side Greg at least we have the same mount (at the moment)
I'll say this if Fuji sort out their X series models, and I could get an adaptor with proper aperture control with A mount lenses I'd be happily shooting with something they offer. It might even be a viable option down the road (I don't normally shoot at longer focal lengths)

I'm not that shocked, the company has a long history of not really listening to users. And now change from a proprietary hot shoe, to another proprietary one. Not really a great move. But it will annoy users, and I'm sure Sony will continue to ignore them. My only hope is that they offload the mount to a maker who can respond to what users want.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Unread post by Winkler Prins »

pakodominguez wrote: I believe Winkler Prins got upset because his thread was kidnapped by ppl that don't have anything to say about the OP and drive it to their own agenda (plain whining...)
Thanks Pako, that's right.
BTW, in the Cameradiner interview with Joe Asai the multi interface was also discussed. Interesting, I really like the tripod with built in remote control, Sony VCT-VPR1 (and VCT-VPR100?).
It's unbelievable how people still calling it a hot shoe when they have been told the multi interface extends to a usb micro port. This tells you how conservative and stubborn they are. How are they ever going to appreciate this? They are not going to, they don't have any money to spend and they are going to watch us benefit from this :).
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Winkler Prins wrote:BTW, in the Cameradiner interview with Joe Asai the multi interface was also discussed. Interesting, I really like the tripod with built in remote control, Sony VCT-VPR1 (and VCT-VPR100?).
It's unbelievable how people still calling it a hot shoe when they have been told the multi interface extends to a usb micro port.
I understood from the interview that the connection is not USB but "proprietary Sony"
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Winkler Prins
Initiate

pakodominguez wrote: I understood from the interview that the connection is not USB but "proprietary Sony"
Obviously when it is used for connecting the camera to a computer it is standard USB mass storage.
As for the other Sony accessoiries, it still is a standard micro USB connector. But it is used for non-USB communications between camera and accessories.
As Paul Genge put it: "Whilst it is Sony proprietary communications, that is a standard micro USB socket wich you may well be able to get a third party cable extension for."
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Paul Genge kinda railroaded that point, but I didn't get the feeling Joe Asai understood what Genge was asserting or that he had the chance to correct him if he was wrong. I hope Paul was right, and I haven't a lot of reason to think he wasn't, but I need to hear it from a more official source before I can get really excited. Imagine Sony, having the chance to make a very useful and proprietary connector, and choosing to use a USB cable as that standard.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Here is a list of what the various contact pins in the MI shoe are for, I’m pretty sure the specification for USB calls for 5v DC and I don’t see anything there using that voltage so I doubt it’s got anything to do with USB. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Interface_Shoe and also here http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flas ... echref.php
The shoe is of course more comprehensive and wide ranging in the use of accessories, Sony might have a list somewhere of just what accessories mount on it, I haven’t looked intensely so far mainly because I doubt that many or any that are available so far would be of great interest to a still shooter apart from the obvious, the new MI shoe flashes and the previous i-shoe flashes via the supplied adaptor, (and with the possible exception of the LED panel) but if I’m wrong on that count please feel free to enlighten me.
As you can see there is a mixture of power supply contacts, earth contacts and data contacts (24 in all), some redundant and all but one hidden under an alcove recess. Which to my mind could be a source of problems if any bridge (moisture or water) should form over some or all of them, time will tell on that count.
There are also reports that the MI shoe isn’t as ISO-ish as it at first appears with some experiencing difficulty mounting ISO foot devices to utilize the central x contact either on the camera or mounting the MI shoe flash on an ISO shoe receiver device off camera.
I get the strong impression that for a lot of off camera flash work the previous i-shoe accessories (OC cables and OC shoes) are still current as they have the necessary signal to camera relay that provides the functionality for that purpose but previous flashes will require the MI to i-shoe adaptor to be mounted on a new camera as an interface which signals as ‘on camera’. An off camera F60 will require the reverse adaptor to mate it with the OC shoe which would signal as ‘off camera’.
With the increased functionality of the new MI shoe it should be possible for Sony to come up with a radio type accessory for connecting a variety of remote lighting units to the sync timing of the shutter one would think, or another adaptor from MI shoe to x-sync ISO shoe that ISO type devices will actually fit onto. (disclaimer, I don’t know absolutely for sure that ISO devices can’t access the x-sync contact on the MI shoe)
I think one of the main things to remember is: It’s not always what they do say in their promotional material, it’s what they don’t say (and what reviewers forget to test).
Honestly I don’t see anything much so far for still shooters, studio environment etc. I think Sony would have been better employed to leave the i-shoe alone and make a MI socket of their own on the side of the camera, one that could have had a molded or rubber shrouded weather proof cable that plugged into it and went to a bracket that had a MI shoe on it with a lift up rubber shroud.
I guess they didn’t want the possibility of someone using the i-shoe at the same time as the MI shoe, the way it is at the moment that isn’t possible, it’s one thing at a time, but couldn’t the particular device mounted on the bracketed MI shoe isolate the camera i-shoe through firmware if there were a conflict of purpose between devices on that occasion?
Greg
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Greg Beetham wrote:Here is a list of what the various contact pins in the MI shoe are for
Man you are ignorant. You still don't realize that there is a micro-USB socket on the side of the camera. It is not a shoe, however it is a multi interface connector.
Why would anyone think wikipedia is a reliable source over the official information given by the manufacturer of equipment? Puzzles me.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Winkler Prins wrote: Man you are ignorant. You still don't realize that there is a micro-USB socket on the side of the camera. It is not a shoe, however it is a multi interface connector.
Why would anyone think wikipedia is a reliable source over the official information given by the manufacturer of equipment? Puzzles me.
Winkler Prins wrote: Next, you're wrong, there is a need. You seem very arrogant to me. The fact that you can't think of any advantages, does not mean there aren't any. It merely means that you are not very clever.
The fact that two connectors are combined into one obviously results in more space left on the outside of the camera. It leaves room for additional connectors, buttons, or a bigger display. Also standardized connectors improves cross brand exchange of accessories. It has the advantage that it is cheaper to manufacture one connector than two of them.

Well, at least I now know why this forum was completely deserted when I encountered it. Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
There is no need for this sort of insulting language.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I agree with Henry. That sort of remark is unacceptable.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Winkler Prins
Initiate

Birma wrote:I agree with Henry. That sort of remark is unacceptable.
I don't care. This is not ladies drinking tea and playing nice. It's a discussion forum.
Frankly, I think not reading or trying to understand what other people write is insulting.
Please contribute to this topic or stay away from it.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Oh boy, did anyone see Dennis Rodman in North Korea recently? So funny. :lol: I saw him talking about the trip on TV earlier today. Oh, and I saw today that Canon has finally started making lens caps that have the tabs in the center that you can squeeze -- Sony, Nikon, Tamron, Panasonic, etc. have been making them for a long time. Took Canon long enough! Better late than never, I guess.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Thanks Henry and Birma, I’ve looked at a few sites to see what info there is on the interface connectors on the A58 and some seem to conflict with others. This one below and others don’t mention the UC-E6 proprietary download connector (that I could see) the one that is on my three cameras so maybe that one has disappeared at some point in successive models or maybe it went extinct on the A58 and has been replaced by the new ‘multi connector.’ Which lists a multi/micro B USB in the following specifications
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02 ... -sony-a58/
I see the Sony press release for the A99 has listed a mini B USB connector in the specs which is different to the micro B USB connector that most list for the A58. Which is not ideal if you lose a cable (or it fails) that came with one camera and need to use the cable from another camera. http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/deta ... wsAreaId=2
The reference to multi LUN refers to the device being compliant with USB ‘logic unit number’ there is some stuff on it here, chapter 3 section 3.2 http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_ ... ulk_10.pdf and the MTP reference is ‘media transfer protocol’ which is a standard created for mobile media devices connectivity.
I think the Wiki article on USB is very good (they do a good job now and then) as it covers the evolution and compatibility info as well.
Greg
Ps Yeah Henry, I saw it too, the Dennis Rodman thing, I don’t think I’ve seen anything more peculiar of late, I guess the smiling, waving and adoring multitudes of their latest replacement dictator could compete, that and the ranks of marching robots.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Sony USA wrote:USB Port(s) : Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Hi-speed USB (USB2.0): Mass-storage, MTP/ Multi (REMOTE)/ Micro USB Type B
So, the "Multi (REMOTE)" port is a Micro USB type B connection. Perhaps the most proprietary thing about this system is where it connects to Sony's remote accessories, the fat end common to these cords:
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --