Multi interface

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Multi interface

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes I think it's a proprietary hot shoe for sure, but then so is the Nikon version and the Canon version too when it comes right down to it, I think the only ISO shoe that matches the original specification is a blank shoe with the rolled up edges, DK would probably know on that score.
Greg
ps Yeah Barry it's a wonder the A99 didn't appear with the replacement remote socket too, maybe they want to test the waters with a lower model to gauge the reaction...maybe, the reaction to the new shoe seemed to be rather mixed and not to many in middle ground, they either hated it or loved it.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

The front contacts on the shoe are the problem for many, it won't allow you to mount triggers and other devices fully into the shoe they stop it being pushed fully back.
The standard hot shoe has the central sync point (which the Sony shoe has) and 3/4 contact points around that.

The Sony shoe does not have this, this means makers are less likely to look at making the Sony variation as on other makers hot shoes it's a case of simply very minor modifications to the pinout arrangement, they have to make an entirely different shoe fit with front contacts. This IMO makes it no more appealing than the i-iso hot shoe.

The other problem is we already have i-iso to normal ISO hot shoe adaptors with the 4 contacts around the sync port, these are now of no use at all for the new flashes and other stuff.

I can't comment on longer term reliability on the new hot shoe but with a lot more contacts there, much smaller sure great for all those "extra bits EVF's and XLR etc" but looks like it could be an issue for dirt/dust/water sitting in the hot shoe v a normal 3/4 contact point shoe. So in short yes they are all "their own variations ala hot shoe, Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc) but it is quite easy for makers to make a standard hot shoe and adjust to suit the brand, the Sony shoe means they will have to make an different shoe fitting again thus defeating the point of having "some kind of standard hot shoe"

IMO they might as well have just stuck with the i-iso hot shoe (which at least was getting better support and had some advantages such as quick fitting/release) Whilst it's not a deal breaker the hot shoe change, one wonders if Sony will bundle the adaptor in ALL their camera models. If not that's just something else you have to buy. And I very much doubt it will improve the appeal for non Sony users either (hint where is the new more affordable mid range flash? Can't see many forking out £450 for a top line 60 model)
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Winkler Prins wrote:So let's discuss the new multi interface. The new A58 and Nex 3N seem to have this on the side as well, so the A58 has two multi sockets.
The connector (micro USB?) that used to serve only to connect the camera to a computer's USB port, can now be used to connect a remote control cord, the new RM-VPR1.
Interesting...
Changing the classic remote outlet for a micro USB is IMHO an intelligent move, since the micro USB give way more posibilities (not for flash control doh)
The new remote can control the zoom -motor zoom like the SEL 16-50 or 18-200. Can we strt a rumor about the new SAL motor zoom?
Winkler Prins wrote: Also I am interested in the (rumored) remote camera control from PC or phone/tablet for the A58.
The A99 came with a new remote camera controller for PC, that support A700; A850; A900 and A99 (but not A77) and it would be lovely if it support the new A58 also.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote:
Winkler Prins wrote: Well, at least I now know why this forum was completely deserted when I encountered it. Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
Sheesh. Harsh. :shock:
Well Babuko, now you have a straight answer to the thread you started the other day...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Dusty wrote: Pathetic Sony keeps breaking, not extending, system compatibility.
Actually, this new RM-VPR1 remote control is shipped with two cables, one with the connector for the previous models, one with the Micro USB connector, so no compatibility issues.
Pako
------------
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Pako the Sony site I provided a link for in a previous post showed a view with the extra cable, but there is also a view without the extra cable, also no mention of it in the product description as to what you get if you buy it and a description of the purpose of the cables.
Also there is a compatibility issue, it arises if for some reason I should have a brain explosion and buy a new Sony camera in the future that’s equipped with the Micro B socket that both of my existing Sony cable remotes won’t fit.
Greg
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Greg Beetham wrote:Pako the Sony site I provided a link for in a previous post showed a view with the extra cable, but there is also a view without the extra cable, also no mention of it in the product description as to what you get if you buy it and a description of the purpose of the cables.
As per B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9 ... minal.html
What's in the Box

Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control with Multi-terminal Cable for Select Sony Cameras

2 x Remote Cables
Bracket
Limited 1-year Warranty
Greg Beetham wrote:Also there is a compatibility issue, it arises if for some reason I should have a brain explosion and buy a new Sony camera in the future that’s equipped with the Micro B socket that both of my existing Sony cable remotes won’t fit.
Greg
If a 50$ accessory can cause you a brain explosion, buy the wireless RMTDSLR2 for 30$
Pako
------------
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

As someone about to buy a new Sony camera this accessory sounds very interesting now. Thanks to Pako for the information, and thanks to Barry for starting the thread :) .

(I am reminded of an old saying about "clouds" and "silver linings".)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

pakodominguez wrote:
bakubo wrote:
Winkler Prins wrote: Well, at least I now know why this forum was completely deserted when I encountered it. Just a bunch of pathetic Sony bashers.
Sheesh. Harsh. :shock:
Well Babuko, now you have a straight answer to the thread you started the other day...
Pako, have you ever heard the following?

It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

If you would start threads that interest you then you might get more of what you want. You, Winkler Prins, and others can post what you want. Please do it.

Actually, one thing that I think would be an excellent change in this forum and dpreview is to go to the model that some websites are starting to do. Only allow verified people to post here and people use their real name. Everyone knows who I am since I have never tried to hide it and all of my posts have a link to my website and on dpreview I have always used my own name. I would be absolutely fine with changing my id to my name. OneGuyKs, Winkler Prins, and others, I am sure, would be fine also with finally making their identity public. No anonymity really raises the level of a forum a lot since it is harder to make potshots at people when everyone knows who you are.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Birma wrote:As someone about to buy a new Sony camera this accessory sounds very interesting now. Thanks to Pako for the information, and thanks to Barry for starting the thread :) .
FYI Winkler Prins started the thread
Pako
------------
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Oops, my apologies Winkler Prins.

Thanks Pako.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

bakubo wrote: Pako, have you ever heard the following?

It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness.

If you would start threads that interest you then you might get more of what you want. You, Winkler Prins, and others can post what you want. Please do it.
I believe Winkler Prins got upset because his thread was kidnapped by ppl that don't have anything to say about the OP and drive it to their own agenda (plain whining...)
Pako
------------
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Or telling it like it is, Sony never provide adequate information in their product descriptions that’s why the op started the thread in the first place, in the hope that some missing information would surface, information that Sony should know themselves btw and not have to rely on a camera dealer (or people on a camera forum) to read between the lines and make up for Sony's shortfall and inadequacies.
Why doesn’t Sony describe things properly? I think it comes back to the secret squirrel aspect of their overall operating profile, nobody is permitted to say anything so they don’t, or as little as possible, so important things get left out and the result is customers are left in the dark about key information that would enable them to make an assessment on the capabilities of a particular Sony product.
Sony conduct a lot of their business over the internet so they should lift their game when it comes to product descriptions and advisories.
Greg
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Greg Beetham wrote:Why doesn’t Sony describe things properly?
There is an assertion inherent in this question that is subjective and not universally accepted. Valid or not, it isn't a question that can be answered here. Please stay on topic.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

It is on topic actually, as I explained above, the topic wouldn’t be open to so much interpretation if Sony provided adequate information about a given device or accessory, which they mostly don’t, or provide ambiguous information sometimes.
The op in the original post brought up the topic of the new USB interfaces as well as the multi interface (new hot-shoe) if you want to refresh your memory, which Sony doesn’t provide much information on, if they did provide the necessary information then the whole topic wouldn’t be necessary, or there might be a few minor details to tidy up at the most.
The new remote that connects to the new micro B USB socket is a case in point, the official web site information should be more comprehensive and complete than that of a camera dealer but it is lacking and ambiguous as far as the descriptions matching the provided images are concerned.
And if you like to check your facts, I’m the one who provided a description of the USB interfaces, (on topic).
Also one can ask a related question as far as I’m concerned, the ‘why’ question is relevant also even if you or anyone else can’t answer it. :x
Greg