Sony Interview at Cameradiner

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony Interview at Cameradiner

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I noted his hit rates are quite low for viewers, that's going to be a problem for advertising. On the other hand it does take time to establish something like this. I see he has it on facebook, but I've found myself that just a company page isn't going to cut it, you need those contacts (ie a personal and business page on facebook, possibly even some advertising) to expand things. Hitting forums and getting the viewers in is pretty important for this type of business.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Paul never really understood how the Minolta Club had once worked, or he'd never have pulled the plug on me. I was puzzled as to how he thought CameraDiner could work, but impressed at the use he put his redundancy money to. I didn't have that option as there was no redundancy, just 'can you please end what you are doing now'.

I know exactly what is charged for vids/productions in the commercial world and he clearly was not charging in - nor would many companies have paid it more than once. Advertising is a balancing act. Most of my advertisers are long term, repeat, month in month it, for years or even decades (magazine wise). We even refuse to allow new advertisers to take a single full page, because we know it doesn't work. We persuade them to spread costs over six months or a year, even if it means giving something away. CameraDiner needed regular, permanent, below-the-line support and I don't guess Paul could achieve this. That is, it would have needed about £60,000 p.a. in committed support initially to be viable - plus some kind of pay to view system, plus further product placement or sponsorships. To sustain a good standard of living at his age and stage, Paul would have needed to create a £250,000 a year business.

That is almost impossible. If it wasn't, dozens of entrepreneurs would be doing it or already have got there.

David
bfitzgerald

I had a browse around and noted that the main site is now down, so is his facebook page. But the videos are still on youtube.
Sadly it looks like Cameradiner has folded...

Which is a shame as I quite liked the show (funky intro was also very well done)
I can't knock anyone for trying, maybe the youtube review segment is over subscribed. It seems some folks can make it work, but if you look closely they are "selling something else" aka Jared Polin sells his tutorials and videos and has that kinda quirky but appealing style that some might like. Another notable one Tony Northrup is evidently doing very well (last time I checked on Amazon) with his "stunning digital photography book" possibly helped with a rather attractive girl working with him :)

The business model that seems to work is sell something (book, videos/tutorials, t shirts whatever) and use youtube and social media as a portal. But give people those "freebie videos" on youtube to get people watching or possibly talking. Then xyz number will either buy something or use your affiliate amazon etc links to generate some cash. I don't have a problem with that model because you can buy or not buy, but take note they need to have that presence to get the sales in.

I've no idea how much they make, but I suspect it's not bad as a supplementary income

As Cameradiner wasn't selling anything at all, just the air time. I think it was a bit of a non starter, unless he got a massive number of viewers for each episode and some big name advertisers onboard.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks to the wonders of Google it looks like he's now working for DayMen which import Giottos and some other photo kit.

I also enjoyed CameraDiner but in retrospect I think the production investment was too high for an internet show. If you look at shows like TWIP they are similarly entertaining shows with someone just sitting in front of a camera and using Google Hangouts to have a group of people together. I also like the Stuck in Customs stuff.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Purely by accident I ran across this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/mpd/permalin ... nt_fb_link
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Good spot Barry. I notice that Paul is now using a Canon rather than his A900 as he was a few months ago on Cameradiner. Probably have to do this for advertising lenses like Tamron to the biggest possible audience.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.