Sony Interview at Cameradiner

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Sony Interview at Cameradiner

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

7:00pm GMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-yIm-Cul6g

http://www.cameradiner.com/live

Ala Paul Genge ex Sony/Minolta & A700 user
With Sony UK manager Joe Asai

I'll probably watch it for fun, not expecting a lot but you never know.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Sony Interview at Cameradiner

Unread post by Birma »

I think Paul is also an A900 user. On a recent episode he was using one to photograph Red Kites.

I have rather liked the Camera Diner episodes that I have watched. Nice to have something photography related to watch. I wish Paul would wear a shirt with a collar - just seems to suit the environment better (a weird critique I now!). It is at least a lot more family friendly that DigitalRev TV which is a guilty pleasure of mine (a bit like Top Gear for cameras) :) .
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

Well have to say quite disappointing really the Sony guy looked quite uncomfortable at times (no sense of humour either)
I had a giggle with the new hot shoe and the "handycam" connection.

I don't share Paul's excitement for the new hot shoe, or the new connector on the A58. I'm glad he did ask about the mount and show us the plastic there!
Also the 50mm f1.4 my idea of affordable isn't the same as his.

So really nothing there that was that interesting I skipped the NEX bits, didn't expect KO type questions but nothing at all about allaying any fears about where A mount is going, no questions about SLT and it's price (esp A99), nothing about DSLR's. And the Sony guy didn't look like he had more than a basic grip on things, certainly not extensive knowledge.

Appreciate he's going to avoid difficult questions, but I'd like to have seen at least something a bit more meaty. Let's be honest his taking things on board and feedback to Tokyo is dubious at best, he'll probably bin all those questions when the cameras are off!
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

bfitzgerald wrote:Well have to say quite disappointing really the Sony guy looked quite uncomfortable at times (no sense of humour either)
I'm sure he was at least a little bit intimidated by Paul.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Just watched it on You Tube (catch-up?). Not the slickest of the shows so far, although it was interesting to see the gear in the flesh so to speak, especially the 500mm; what a monster! I think Paul is improving as a live TV presenter, but the Sony guy seemed really nervous and needed a lot of prompting. I think his nerves meant that he didn't get some of the humour from Paul or those on the message board. Paul did a good job of supporting him and luckily had a surprisingly good knowledge of Sony kit :) . The Fuji UK guy last week gave a better performance but I think it is unrealistic to expect a show like this to offer a very critical review of any of its sponsors (or potential sponsors) equipment.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bfitzgerald

He was nervous at least at the start, and dare I say some puzzled looks on his face makes me wonder if his English is a fluent as it should be.
Leaving that aside I'm puzzled about the "user requests" for a hot shoe change, I don't believe that at all the vast majority of users would not vote for a hot shoe change.

I can to a point get Paul's plus points regarding his needs for video (and the new remote device) but for stills shooters it's of no real consequence (either of them hot shoe change or remote) As for not being able to get third party stuff for i-iso hot shoes you not have a difficult period where third party makers will have to cater for both shoes. If Sony wanted to change it they should have done so in 2006/2007, now it's far too late and might actually damage sales for them

On the the interview I viewed it more as a "product demo" than much else. Very few questions asked, Paul even dived in to save the Sony guy a few times, sure Sony could have put someone on the show who had a good knowledge of the system, most users here would put the Sony guy to shame with their knowledge.

Bar the plastic mount being shows, no questions that were important were asked, a few vague ones would have helped (ie do you see A mount and NEX carrying on as separate products, issues about firmware ie lack of addressing problems, questions about SLT and Sony's pricing, esp the A99, why no DSLR's) stuff like that. And the 50mm CZ f1.4 is IMO such a ridiclous price I can't agree with Paul's comical comment about being affordable, though at least he asked about the current 50mm f1.4 being continued (at the CZ's price it's quite obvious they have to!)

Not enough punches for my liking...I'd like to see a harder interview style
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

To put things simply, Mr Genge has always had a knack of avoiding the difficult questions, and, on occasion, been economical with the truth. At least he is consistent in this, in his new role outside Sony.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald

I appreciate when he was working for Sony, well we know the story ie you tow the company line (or else!) so I can't knock him on that whilst he was employed by Sony.
As this is his own venture (and quite a decent idea) I would have expected a bit more from him, even more so in his history with Minolta too.

He didn't really push things, or questions that many A Mount users feel are important.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I didn’t watch it, but realistically I think in order to get a Sony guy to be a ‘deer in the headlights’ I think they (Sony-Genge) would have reached an understanding (guidelines) beforehand.
And if Mr Genge reneged on that agreement during the actual interview then he probably would not get another one.
Anyway I doubt Sony would have provided him with someone with the in depth A-mount system development knowledge necessary to unintentionally or otherwise release any real or compromising information.
That most likely being the case there would be little chance for him to make some kind of embarrassing fopar about model design strategy in general or in particular, so the ‘interview’ would most likely result in something like sales feature promo.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Greg I am sure they did have a chat and guidelines before he went on air.
But if they don't answer "broad but important questions"

There is no point having an interview
I didn't expect a tough political box him in a corner type show with tricky questions and sweat pouring off his forehead, but he avoided just about anything that was of use to A mount users.

He's not working for Sony anymore. So he can be a bit more investigative with his approach. Same as DK's A99 review, the gloves came off when they needed to and I for once appreciate a much more candid and open approach.
Cameradiner has potential, we don't want a DPR type everything is great slant though, at least I don't
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yes Barry you and I would like to see more honest interviewing but there is the consideration that some like dpr perhaps (not accusing) and others have to make small allowances here and there in recognition for who pays for advertising.
And Paul Genge is most likely still held captive to a signed ND that probably remains in legal effect so he can’t reveal any compromising stuff either most likely even if he had a mind to.
Also I guess he is promoting his own efforts just as much as he is doing a promo for Sony too, so I doubt he would want to intentionally rock the boat too much as it would jeopardize his own future as well…that’s the conclusion I would be inclined to reach as to why there were no blindside questions or hitting below the belt stuff.
Greg
bfitzgerald

Greg I'd hardly call "how about some DSLR's in addition to SLT models" as below the belt stuff you can word that how you want..ala "some users would like to see DSLR's in addition to the SLT models, does Sony see a place for this?"
That's one example, he could mention other things like if Sony plan to continue development of A mount. He can def ask why the A99 is over £2000 when traditional DSLR's are much lower in cost (I know you'd get the oh it's pro model) but hey it would be nice to hear something

You don't have to use Bulldozer type tactics or questions. Simple rather non detailed ones that give users a real idea of where Sony are (or are not going) We're not asking for specific detailed pre release information on models nobody will get that for obvious reasons. This isn't anywhere near NDA stuff just simple basic questions. And Paul Genge IMO failed to ask them. If you are doing a "hands on with some new stuff" fine call it that, but don't pretend to do an interview and not ask the questions many would like.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Exactamundo Barry yes I'd like to see the answers to those questions from the horse's mouth too, but you saw the 'interview' and in your estimation do you think that the Sony guy that they sent would be able to give any meaningful answers to any of those questions?
Greg
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I recall an online Q&A Mr Genge conducted while still with Sony. He was asked repeatedly by a number of viewers about the future of DSLRs, in light of the expanding range of SLTs, and, to this day, I am still without an answer. He's not going to ask the awkward questions, never mind answer them. I doubt his successor would be any more forthcoming, not simply for reasons of commercial secrecy, but simply because they don't care what the customer wants from their products.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
bfitzgerald

I remember this live "Q&A" starring guess who ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcHz9oHQ3Y

To be fair to the guy I don't know him at all, I'm sure he's a nice bloke. I asked questions before and I know DK knows Paul pretty well. Stony silence on things as per expected. I get the impression that most Japanese companies are just like this, pretty bad at connecting with customers/users. Just about every Q&A avoids answering the questions you want to hear, that goes beyond Sony to other makers too. But right now I suspect Sony are the maker who is least in tune with it's customers.

I think it's honestly the way they work, they do xyz...and if you don't like it tough luck!