Sony Alpha77 - first impressions

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Omega892
Oligarch

Re: Sony Alpha77 - first impressions

Unread post by Omega892 »

mvanrheenen wrote:Did you try connecting your camera with card inserted to your computer. This should give an idea if XP or the reader doesn't support the card.

Mark
Yes I have thought of that but my only set of batteries are now on the charger so I'll try when they are cooked. I have been waiting for more battery packs to come into stock at my local.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Yes, that would make that a bit difficult to try :lol:
Omega892
Oligarch

Well after some use this A77 is beginning to grow on me. I have now put the strap from my Dynax 7 onto the Alpha 77 so have a more comfortable strap now with places to clip flash shoe cover and strain relief for a remote cable, I have the short and long versions of this. So, if Sony want their products clearly recognised by the strap then they know what to do.

However, what I certainly don't like about this camera is the memory card slot. That hinged cover is just too close for comfort for those with large fingers especially if the index finger is distorted by gout like mine. I have to cross over and use my left hand for easing the card out and even then it is more difficult than need be.

I have also now had to do a clean, must have got in whilst I was messing about with a Kowa scope that came from a relative, which was filthy inside. :x The sensor cleaning routine having failed to shift the speck I tried the manual blower method - this didn't work either. So I had to resort to using canned air from one of the smaller sized, lower pressure type but held at some distance and carefully kept upright with a very short squirt to prevent fluid in the spray. Maybe not recommended but if very careful it seems to have worked.

I have some very fine artists brushes which I use on transparencies, maybe one of these would be of value if used very lightly and blown through with canned air before application.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

You might need some of this:
http://photosol.com/product/eclipse-2-oz-bottle/

And some swabs. I have the e2 version from a few years ago (you can't use that for lens cleaning) they appear to have a single solution now for sensor fluid.
I have used the eclipse for many years, cleaned many camera sensors with it (not just my own for other people), never once had an issue with it. IMO it is the only way to remove some marks from sensors (pollen and other bits) Only point to note is apply a small quantity (many over apply the fluid which can lead to smearing)
Omega892
Oligarch

Thanks for that tip B.

Having had a suspicion I have just mated 16-50mm f2.8 SSM lens that came with the A77 to a Dynax 7 film body and yes - vignetting as it is an C format lens only! Drat, that slipped under the radar as I have avoided these types until now. Hum!
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Yup DT lenses are APS-C, I don't think you can avoid them really (to a point that is), thing is to not get too many APS-C lenses if you use FF. Most of mine are full frame lenses so it's not an issue for me.