A58 Review

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
classiccameras
Viceroy

A58 Review

Unread post by classiccameras »

Just read the review of the A58 in What Digital Camera, In a nut shell its IQ is not as good as the 2 cameras it replaces, A37/57.

Pete
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: A58 Review

Unread post by Dusty »

Good old Sony, continuing to run the brand into the ground!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Ah but it's got the awesome "Auto Object Framing technology" :mrgreen:
Jokes aside I can't see the sense is the A58 in the model range it's too stripped down to really appeal bar a silly ultra low price.

It would have been quite easy to make an A57 MkII with some improvements, but alas they decided to do something less appealing.
I hope Sony don't offer me an A58 to compensate for the A57 issues I'm having, I would not be interested in that at all!

Sensor wise it does not look like an improvement on the 16mp CMOS either. In this case I think that site is right (I personally am not a fan of that review mag) the downgrades are too many esp the much smaller buffer, rear LCD and lens mount. It might move at £250 odd super cheap price few would care, current prices I can't really see it doing very well, not really offering anything interesting over it's rivals at this price point.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

The review actually didn't say that the A58's IQ was not as good as the A57/A37. What they said is that they would not use the camera beyond ISO 6400 and that they don't think they can recommend it over the other entry level cameras. A subjective opiniion, which What Digital Camera is really good at. They did give it an 87% score.

Another review (dxomark) says that the A58 is the best low end digital SLR/SLT camera out there, that nothing close to it in price offers so much bang for the buck.

Actual users in dpreview seem to like it.

At this point, there is not enough reviews and hands on experience to have a real opinion on the A58. I think the A58 was going to be part of a three APS-C SLT release for the year. Sony probably decided to hold off on the A57/A65 replacement as well as the A77 replacement and produce APS-C A mount mirrorless cameras. If this really the case, a smart move.

Sony is going to hit a home run with the NEX-3N. A mirrorless A-mount equivalent next year would be most welcome.
bfitzgerald

DxO rated the sensor lower than the A57's one (though I'm not a DxO fan by any means)
I suspect it was part of a model update strategy, but that now seems to have been put on ice this year (according to SAR no more SLT models again and no more this year)

I believe the A57 will cease production soon, the 3 series same story. That leaves the A65 and A77 models I would imagine they will continue to be made (but commanding lower prices) but we have no idea on that one at all, maybe Sony will halt production later this year.

I've liked most cameras I've just bought, but only extended use really reveals the true story. I can't see the A58 selling that well being blunt it's a def no no for A57 users, and breaks the golden rule of camera updates. You have to make them better (at least a bit) not worse. The Canon 700d got a lot of stick for adding almost nothing (bar a few picture modes and a 360 degree dial!) But they didn't cut it down either so you can see why the reaction to the A58 has been, even from current A mount users, one of almost complete disinterest in this model.

Sure it's a camera and it takes photos, but when it comes to buying choices it's not going to tempt any Canikon buyers, even the headline grabbing fps got chopped down. Just because Kirk Tuck left a 5 star amazon review, doesn't mean it's going to be a sales hit :mrgreen:
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

The A58 is a credible starter camera, but as I said earlier, I believe the NEX-3N will be the camera flying off the shelves. The mirrorless APS-C A mounts, if they are good performers, should sell very well. Dxo is a funny thing. It's a guide, but one needs to look at the number in context of other things in the sensor design. As I said before, I think Sony probably aborted several SLT camera releases this year. Who knows though.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The A58 also brings a lot of hardware and system compatibility to the entry level that was missing. The new MI hotshoe and the USB terminal that connects to more capable remotes are quite a bit more notable additions than smarter auto-framing modes. Also, can we please link to an article when we talk about its content?
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

A58 brings less to the table than the A57 did (overall), and a year later. Canikon are running decent cashback offers in the UK right now across a range of models. The new hot shoe isn't relevant either this isn't going to be seen as a must have for new buyers, and it's probably a turn off for current users (we shall have to live with it sadly)

And no mid level flash for the new hot shoe yet, which is pretty odd (can't see many A58 users buying the pricey top end flash)

A58 didn't even make the top 100 DSLR list on Amazon UK, it's ranked 75 in the USA as of now (well below the A57 ranking)
Sony don't seem to be willing to cut the prices on the A77 much or the A99 at all, only the A57 and lower models are getting blow out deals.

The only hope for the A58 is a super super low price, they might shift a few then. But that plastic mount is going to be a perception problem and a turn off for buyers. 20mp is great but when you have a D3200 at 24mp and selling at a slightly lower price we know what people are buying.

I think it's a real shame Sony released the A58, I see no real place for it might as well have kept the A57 in production at a low price and sold that. 2013 is going to be tough for Sony with no new models. Auto framing is a bit like auto portrait mode, bit of a gimmick really and bar a bit of fun it's not a serious feature at all. I've tried clear image zoom and I don't see the point it just upsamples it to 16mp, you really get little advantage over an in camera crop.

One of the appeals of the A57 (not for me but for some) was it's deep buffer and mad fps rate, that's now taken a serious hit with the A58 buffer down to just 6 raw shots, and a lower fps.
classiccameras
Viceroy

DxOmark are in my opinion being used as the 'glasses' guide in the camera ratings war. I have never taken their findings that seriously as in most cases real world IQ is not always reflected in their scores.

Agree about What Digital Camera reviews, they can sit on the fence and arrive at crazy scores, often clashing with other review sites, but on this occasion they have got it more or less right with the A58.

DPReviews, probably one of the most respected of review sites do have a reputation in some cases of making mountains out of Mole hills.
Camera Labs used to be reliable and useful review site but they need to play catch up with the brands as its a very out of date site.

My Nikon is looking more likely to be my main DSLR in the future as it looks like Sony are on a road to no where.

Pete
classiccameras
Viceroy

Read the new review on the A58 by Ephotozine. Picture quality, not stunning, not fantstic, not excellent, just 'good'. Overall score was pretty decent but it does not match their review of the A37 which gained their essential award.
Heidfirst
Oligarch

Unread post by Heidfirst »

bfitzgerald wrote: I believe the A57 will cease production soon, the 3 series same story. That leaves the A65 and A77 models I would imagine they will continue to be made (but commanding lower prices) but we have no idea on that one at all, maybe Sony will halt production later this year.
I would be surprised if the A37/A57/A65 & A77 are still in production. My belief is that they are built in batches for stock rather than continuously.
However, if there is no new introduction other than the A58 this year then come the end of the year it is going to mean a very thin offering.
The Canon 700d got a lot of stick for adding almost nothing (bar a few picture modes and a 360 degree dial!) But they didn't cut it down either:
nor did they drop the introductory MSRP of the new model by ~1/3 compared to the introductory MSRP of the old model, Sony did. ;)
bfitzgerald

If Sony drop production of the A37/57/65/77 then they will only have 2 models one budget entry model, and one FF one nothing in between.
That does not sound like a very good strategy to me. A37/57 is being blown out on sale prices (probably hurting the A58 sales too), 65 is down a bit but not clearance prices yet, A77 the same. If I were gambling a bit I would wager they will have to keep the 65/77 models going for a while at least. You can't have a camera range with 2 models at extreme price points.

Canon screwed up and I think they know it, but at least they sell "last years" model at decent prices I expect most would just go for a 650d there is little point paying for more when you get very little extra. Sony's strategy is clearly to sell the A58 at a price I would think will be around £299 or near there in a few months or so (when the A37/57's are gone)

Both reviews say pretty much the same thing, ie it's not offering much v rivals and it's really an updated A37 (in some respects). Despite the scores they were not overly excited about it, and obviously stuff that got cut down is going to get noticed.

I really have no idea what Sony are up to, or what they plan. All I can say is it's a bit risky to leave things as they are. Maybe they should have just left the A57 and A37 around and made a new A65 or something like that (say non weather sealed but dual dials and more "mid level")

IQ wise not looked at raw files off the A58, jpegs look about the same as the A57 or not much better. I don't think it offers much sensor wise over that model if anything bar 4mp if that matters.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

The ephotozine review said that it was a worthwhile upgrade for some Sony users. The higher resolution 20mp comes us useable to ISO 3200 and even 6400. They said it was a worthy upgrade to the A37. It's funny how people can read the same thing and come to different conclusions. That's okay - just goes to show you that people have different needs and expectations.

Here is a quote of the end of the review:

"Despite an increase in resolution over the Sony Alpha A37, noise is well controlled with decent results at ISO3200 and even ISO6400. Rather than seeing this as a downgraded A57, the A58 is more of an upgraded A37, and offers improved detail in images and excellent value for money."

Seems to me they rather like the camera.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think the A58 probably helps introduce the new shoe and connectors, but with only the very expensive flash at the moment that isn’t making much sense, I suppose A58 owners can spend the $35 and buy the adaptor so they can find an i-shoe flash for it, if they want a flash that is.

The A57 is probably an undesirable model now (within Sony) because it has the old shoe and connectors, same with the A77, but what to do with it? Apparently they aren’t going to replace it this year (if at all) so when does it get discontinued? they won’t want to have it hanging around for too long either with the old shoe and connectors I’d imagine.

Out with the old and in with the errr what? An empty semi-pro APS-C space again, for how long this time?

If Sony is going to devote its energy to developing on sensor PDAF who are they going to sell it too? Have Nikon or Pentax been asking for that? They’ve got traditional DSLR’s, on sensor PDAF will need to be responsive enough and accurate enough when the light isn’t good to cause them to even look at it, and none of the on sensor hybrid AF systems are remotely as good as traditional PDAF in poor light so far, from what I hear anyway.

So Sony will have to bring a game changer to the table to interest Nikon and Pentax, and what then? Nikon, Pentax and Sony all kiss their legacy lenses (and owners) goodbye together, that will be a cozy little get together, no disadvantage to each of them as far as the APS-C segment goes, (except their customers might not be thrilled, but Canon will be happy)

Although if Pentax are going to actually build an FF camera then they will need an updated bunch of lenses anyway so they might get the jump on the other two with FF…nah not going to happen, crazy talk, Pentax would have to get a new range of lenses for a FF system happening before next year to be ready for the new sensor with on sensor PDAF/CDAF (if such a thing even transpires).

Thinking about the new low frame rates, I’ve got a suspicion that this is done on purpose to get the cameras over the warranty line before the owners flog their cameras to death, blasting gazillions of frames off doesn’t cost anything now, most of them probably get deleted anyway but they are wearing the lenses and shutters at a much higher rate than in the days of film.

The thing that’s starting to worry me now is where I can get a camera of the type I want if I need one, and a camera that is accurate and reliable as well, it’s beginning to look like there is only one choice left, a company that makes reasonably proper cameras that work properly too, and one that isn’t trying to get rid of their customer base. :roll:
Greg
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I actually haven't heard any other reports but one negative one, concerning using the ADP-MAA adapter with older iISO shoe flash guns. The person in question was using an A99 with an F43AM flash, and the flash kept falling off of the shoe. the connection between shoe adapter and flash gun was fine, but the screw-down tightener was slipping off between the camera and the adapter. the F60M has a locking lever rather than a screw-down tightener, but the F20M has the screw-down. Here's hoping the next mid level flash has the locking lever interface.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --