Sony A99 / Survival of the Fittest Short Film

Specifically for the discussion of the A-mount DSLR range
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
thednalife
Acolyte

Sony A99 / Survival of the Fittest Short Film

Unread post by thednalife »

Got a few friends together for a run & gun filming session. This was 100% spontaneous with no script, storyboard, location, etc. Made it on the spot, shot, and edited it all in about 6 hours. Main purpose was to test the Sony A99's high iso video performance, so don't think too much into the story as it was just made up on the spot.

Sony A99 x CZ2470 2.8
Steadyshot Stabilization was used.
ISO 1600, 2000, 3200, & 6400 were used throughout the video.

Take a look ///
http://www.blog.thednalife.net/2013/05/ ... ttest.html

Feel free to C&C.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Sony A99 / Survival of the Fittest Short Film

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Nice video. Was there any other stabilization method used, apart the camera's inner Steadyshot?
And welcome to the forum.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
thednalife
Acolyte

No, I did stabilize in post a few scenes, but only 2 or 3.

Thanks!
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Hi,
I always heard that Canon users shoot "flat" (-3 contrast, saturation, etc) but I read on a NEX5 review that they got a better result out of the box (0 contrast, saturation, etc) and just changed the creative odes in order to get the desired effect -this guy was a Canon or Panasonic user,new on NEX/Alpha equipment.
How do you shoot in order to get the best of the A99?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thednalife
Acolyte

pakodominguez wrote:Hi,
I always heard that Canon users shoot "flat" (-3 contrast, saturation, etc) but I read on a NEX5 review that they got a better result out of the box (0 contrast, saturation, etc) and just changed the creative odes in order to get the desired effect -this guy was a Canon or Panasonic user,new on NEX/Alpha equipment.
How do you shoot in order to get the best of the A99?
Pako any serious video shooter will shoot as flat as possible, so that they can color grade in post production much easier. I have not had a chance yet to play around with the different recording settings of contrast, saturation, & sharpness. I did hear that adjusting sharpness does not effect video output though you can change the setting. My next video I will try to reduce the contrast to as low as possible to see if it allows for more dynamic range possibilities in post.

If you want to squeeze every inch of IQ out of your video then that's the way to go, but for easy on the go shooting I keep it on the standard settings.